The Last of Us

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future.
Post Reply
User avatar
Guy_JD
Member
Posts: 240
Joined: October 2nd, 2012, 5:00 pm
Location: London and Kent

Re: The Last of Us

Post by Guy_JD »

Spoiler: show
I'm really glad they steered away from mirroring the opening scenes with the ending escape from the hospital, it would have been really easy for Naughty Dog to have killed off Ellie or Joel, as soon as Joel picked her up off the operating table I immediately thought one of them was about to die, the ending as it came out is much more powerful IMO, Ellie finally has someone who won't leave her at the first opportunity and Joel has someone to fill that hole left in his heart by the death of his daughter, a nice happy end to the story, it's been a while since I've seen one of them

User avatar
Buckled Kipper
Member
Posts: 336
Joined: September 2nd, 2012, 1:53 pm

Re: The Last of Us

Post by Buckled Kipper »

I was surprised to read a tweet from Garnett Lee saying that he thought the ending was predictable. I thought it was brave and original. There's lots of other easy options they could have taken.

User avatar
Indiana747
Member
Posts: 893
Joined: September 3rd, 2012, 5:17 pm

Re: The Last of Us

Post by Indiana747 »

Spoiler: show
i think if people go to this thread to read about The Last of Us before finishing it are idiots. Therefore make the thread open with a SPOILERS INSIDE or an AFTER COMPLETION ONLY heading. It will save everyone having to walk on eggshells. If people want to talk about the game after completion they deserve a thread devoted to just that.
Sorry, just what i think.
Spoiler: show
God im cranky these days, ohh, thats not a spoiler btw.

User avatar
Buckled Kipper
Member
Posts: 336
Joined: September 2nd, 2012, 1:53 pm

Re: The Last of Us

Post by Buckled Kipper »

I tend to agree with that. Once a games been out a few weeks its nice to be able to talk freely about it.

User avatar
ratsoalbion
Admin
Posts: 7372
Joined: August 28th, 2012, 9:41 am
Location: Brighton, England
Contact:

Re: The Last of Us

Post by ratsoalbion »

That's what we have spoiler tags for, it's no trouble to use them. I wouldn't want to brand anyone an idiot for entering a dedicated thread before finishing a game - there are all sorts of reasons why someone might want to do that.
Obviously caution is advised!

But please, continue with the spoiler tags out of consideration for others.

User avatar
Buckled Kipper
Member
Posts: 336
Joined: September 2nd, 2012, 1:53 pm

Re: The Last of Us

Post by Buckled Kipper »

On this note, does anyone know how you spoiler tag on Tapatalk? Can't see the option.

User avatar
Combine Hunter
Moderator
Posts: 873
Joined: August 27th, 2012, 4:40 pm

Re: The Last of Us

Post by Combine Hunter »

Rich wrote:
Combine Hunter wrote:
Spoiler: show
I think the ending and the way they handle Joel is great. It forces you to perform actions you might not necessarily agree with, but completely make sense for Joel as a character.
Spoiler: show
Yeah but I just think a person that those actions make sense for isn't a nice man. In a way I think he was right to save Ellie as she wasn't given a choice about the operation but to kill everyone in his path including a doctor that he could have easily reasoned with or disarmed is just terrible. Also he lied to Ellie about the whole thing!
It does all make sense for the great character that he is but he's a bad man.
Spoiler: show
I think saying he's a bad man is a bit too simplistic. He definitely isn't easily likable the same way Nathan Drake is, and some of his actions are hard to justify. However, he isn't Joffrey from Game of Thrones either. He's a morally grey character, and those kinds of people are always more interesting to me in fiction.

User avatar
Benjo321
Member
Posts: 95
Joined: September 3rd, 2012, 1:04 pm
Location: Oldham, UK
Contact:

Re: The Last of Us

Post by Benjo321 »

Buckled Kipper wrote:On this note, does anyone know how you spoiler tag on Tapatalk? Can't see the option.
You have to type the code in manually (bit of a pain)
edit: Tapatalk doesn't show the code tag properly either, so view this on a PC to see how to add the spoiler tag:

Code: Select all

[spoiler]stuff to hide goes here[/spoiler]

User avatar
Buckled Kipper
Member
Posts: 336
Joined: September 2nd, 2012, 1:53 pm

Re: The Last of Us

Post by Buckled Kipper »

Thanks for that. Will check when I get home.

User avatar
Indiana747
Member
Posts: 893
Joined: September 3rd, 2012, 5:17 pm

Re: The Last of Us

Post by Indiana747 »

ratsoalbion wrote:That's what we have spoiler tags for, it's no trouble to use them. I wouldn't want to brand anyone an idiot for entering a dedicated thread before finishing a game - there are all sorts of reasons why someone might want to do that.
Obviously caution is advised!

But please, continue with the spoiler tags out of consideration for others.
Spoiler: show
okey dokey :P

User avatar
Todinho
Member
Posts: 2126
Joined: September 24th, 2012, 2:27 pm

Re: The Last of Us

Post by Todinho »

Rich wrote:
Combine Hunter wrote:
Spoiler: show
I think the ending and the way they handle Joel is great. It forces you to perform actions you might not necessarily agree with, but completely make sense for Joel as a character.
Spoiler: show
Yeah but I just think a person that those actions make sense for isn't a nice man. In a way I think he was right to save Ellie as she wasn't given a choice about the operation but to kill everyone in his path including a doctor that he could have easily reasoned with or disarmed is just terrible. Also he lied to Ellie about the whole thing!
It does all make sense for the great character that he is but he's a bad man.
Spoiler: show
I understand people saying he is a bad man but for me he's just a survivor like he says himself and to survive sometimes you gotta do morally wrong things,when it comes to Ellie he wasnt gonna let the person who became the closest to him die in a way like that without even knowing what happened and being used by others she was his partner,and the fireflies were fighting to cure humanity they didnt know Joel or Ellie for them it didnt matter they cared about each other and "saving" the world so there was little chance for resonable negotiations,I dont know what this says about me but I for one agree 100% with Joel's decision and I was a little more curel because I never used the flamethrower in the game so by the end I was full of ammo for it so I went and torched all the fireflies including the doctor,they might've had good reasons but for me they were just the people that used Joel and planned to kill without much thought a 14 years old and the character I liked the most in the whole game

User avatar
FollowMyRuin
Member
Posts: 100
Joined: November 13th, 2012, 11:11 pm
Location: Northumberland

Re: The Last of Us

Post by FollowMyRuin »

Ok, I've just finished this today so it's a belated addition to the thread from myself.

Not sure if this had been discussed yet, so apologies if its already been addressed.
Spoiler: show
I'm not a fan of the portrayal of Bill's character. When Ellie and Joel parted ways with the man of was only at that point that the penny dropped and it became clear that Bill was gay.

Now, to start, his sexual preference in itself is of course an non-issue but the fact that it was revealed to me as Elllie read his pornographic magazine felt utterly grotesque as a concept.

I am aware that Ellie is an empowered young woman and prepared to suspend belief that in this world, taboo and social decorum have less pertinence, so I can buy into the idea that she is desensitised to such material.

But, it just feels a little disrespectful to have emphasised it in such a way, the writers created this strong character, with a clear backstory that regardless of sexuality would remain as poignant. I don't see why there was a necessity in the story to expose his sexuality. Does it really challenge gender and of sexuality stereotypes in gaming? Not sure. The fact it was highlighted like this suggested connotations of sexual deviance if nothing else, especially when placed in a genre that is traditionally and indeed a game, which is for 99% of its duration, asexual.

I'm not gay myself, but I reserve the right to be offended by the portrayal of Bill's sexuality. Why such transparency? Why such an awkward exposé of his sexuality? The cynic in me feels like Bill was conceptualised as a gay man, but they didn't successfully emphasise that enough so they slapped in some gay porn as folk like myself are too low brow to pick up on the reference.

For the record, I genuinely assumed Bill was just very fond of his business partner. Not because I don't understand the etymology of 'partner', rather, because my demographic can quite freely announce their boyfriend/girlfriend/wife/husband without prejudice.

User avatar
Sean
Moderator
Posts: 604
Joined: August 27th, 2012, 5:05 pm
Location: Greenville, SC, USA
Contact:

Re: The Last of Us

Post by Sean »

FollowMyRuin wrote:Ok, I've just finished this today so it's a belated addition to the thread from myself.

Not sure if this had been discussed yet, so apologies if its already been addressed.
Spoiler: show
I'm not a fan of the portrayal of Bill's character. When Ellie and Joel parted ways with the man of was only at that point that the penny dropped and it became clear that Bill was gay.

Now, to start, his sexual preference in itself is of course an non-issue but the fact that it was revealed to me as Elllie read his pornographic magazine felt utterly grotesque as a concept.

I am aware that Ellie is an empowered young woman and prepared to suspend belief that in this world, taboo and social decorum have less pertinence, so I can buy into the idea that she is desensitised to such material.

But, it just feels a little disrespectful to have emphasised it in such a way, the writers created this strong character, with a clear backstory that regardless of sexuality would remain as poignant. I don't see why there was a necessity in the story to expose his sexuality. Does it really challenge gender and of sexuality stereotypes in gaming? Not sure. The fact it was highlighted like this suggested connotations of sexual deviance if nothing else, especially when placed in a genre that is traditionally and indeed a game, which is for 99% of its duration, asexual.

I'm not gay myself, but I reserve the right to be offended by the portrayal of Bill's sexuality. Why such transparency? Why such an awkward exposé of his sexuality? The cynic in me feels like Bill was conceptualised as a gay man, but they didn't successfully emphasise that enough so they slapped in some gay porn as folk like myself are too low brow to pick up on the reference.

For the record, I genuinely assumed Bill was just very fond of his business partner. Not because I don't understand the etymology of 'partner', rather, because my demographic can quite freely announce their boyfriend/girlfriend/wife/husband without prejudice.
Hmm, I don't know.
Spoiler: show
I don't necessarily think it was portrayed as some sort of big reveal that Bill was gay. There are plenty of "hints" I suppose, but, when she pulls out the magazine, it's like either her or Joel say anything like "WAIT, HE WAS GAY!?" Bill mentions a partner who he cared for deeply. When you find Frank, Bill tears up, notes places where's bitten, makes mention of his clothes. I could already tell there was more to that than a business relationship, but, they never sat on that.

I also don't really see a problem with the magazine. I mean, I imagine a 14-year-old girl would pick up a magazine with a guy on the cover. And, if you play it again, look at the stack of magazines, it's right at the top, in plain view. I suppose it could be perceived as an unnecessary addition, but, I thought it provided a much-needed brief bit of humor, and, not really at the expense of gay people, but more at the expense of men in general, considering she briefly expresses disgust at the...male anatomy. Not the fact that a man would look at that stuff. I was honestly impressed with how it felt like such a non-moment. To me, it was simply another story of love-lost in the post-apocalypse.

User avatar
DomsBeard
Member
Posts: 3669
Joined: September 2nd, 2012, 5:03 pm
Location: Doms Chin

Re: The Last of Us

Post by DomsBeard »

So just started it now, I do like a feel good opening to a game! :/

User avatar
DomsBeard
Member
Posts: 3669
Joined: September 2nd, 2012, 5:03 pm
Location: Doms Chin

Re: The Last of Us

Post by DomsBeard »

Also, is it just me or guys don't go down in one bullet if you hit them in the head?

User avatar
chase210
Member
Posts: 1047
Joined: June 3rd, 2013, 11:22 am

Re: The Last of Us

Post by chase210 »

Its good. I don't think its 10/10 material.

User avatar
mikeleddy83
Member
Posts: 1432
Joined: September 2nd, 2012, 5:32 pm
Location: Oxford
Contact:

Re: The Last of Us

Post by mikeleddy83 »

My own issue with tapatalk is that spoiler tags are disregarded if they are the start of the message, you need to prefix them with a little bit of plain waffle like: "Oh that's quite interesting and thought provoking but... <spoiler>".

Tapatalk captures the first 10 - 20 words (regardless of being a spoiler of not) of the latest post in each thread as preview text when viewing on the default timeline option. Barricade those spoilers!

Regarding the game:
Spoiler: show
Looking at this thread after finishing The Last of Us I'm overwhelmed by how much surface level observation has been made of the ending, do people find the game too personal to share the experience?

There's literally no right way to work it all out, I'm almost certain that any assumptions to the mind frame of Joel aren't even worth tackling, it's such a deep hole to look into. I'd also suggest that if something looks blatantly obvious in this game then it's most likely far from it. I've heard so many people talk about how the ending has followed them for days after finishing the game and whilst I've had that same euphoria for the first hour upon completion I'm still waiting to see if others are willing to commit to describing what they're thinking.

My first impressions of the ending were something of a dull throb, I'd initially suppressed the shock horror reaction until I thought back to the discoveries from the last few audio log artifacts where I thought things had really been cleared up but in reality the number of questions worth asking had hit the point where I can only be satisfied by seeing a sequel somewhere down the line. I'm certainly jumping into the new game plus to add what limited knowledge I have to the next play through (and to refine my essay for its release someday) but after spending my first time around transfixed on a theory of a note on a fridge and a mobile phone I'm almost worried my brain will pop.
Best game I've played for a very long time... possibly too long.

User avatar
DomsBeard
Member
Posts: 3669
Joined: September 2nd, 2012, 5:03 pm
Location: Doms Chin

Re: The Last of Us

Post by DomsBeard »

Just got to the bridge finally and now need to cross it.

Playing super stealthy as I do I'm finding the sections where you have to fight quite annoying as the guns feel really weak. I don't know if it's a deliberate choice to put you off combat but if I shoot someone in the head with a rifle they should stay down as should someone I hit with a shotgun close up. It's normally 50/50 whether that happens.

Apart from that I love this game, it reminds me of The Road in many ways and when I can stealth through sections taking out hunters it's such a rush.

Story wise
Spoiler: show
I really enjoy Joel's and Ellie's relationship. From what happened at the beginning you can understand how he is with her as he probably still blames himself for his daughter's death and didn't want the responsibility of Ellie due to this. He's trying to remain cold but there's little cracks appearing here and there.

User avatar
mikeleddy83
Member
Posts: 1432
Joined: September 2nd, 2012, 5:32 pm
Location: Oxford
Contact:

Re: The Last of Us

Post by mikeleddy83 »

DomsBeard wrote:Just got to the bridge finally and now need to cross it.

Playing super stealthy as I do I'm finding the sections where you have to fight quite annoying as the guns feel really weak. I don't know if it's a deliberate choice to put you off combat but if I shoot someone in the head with a rifle they should stay down as should someone I hit with a shotgun close up. It's normally 50/50 whether that happens.

Apart from that I love this game, it reminds me of The Road in many ways and when I can stealth through sections taking out hunters it's such a rush.

Story wise
Spoiler: show
I really enjoy Joel's and Ellie's relationship. From what happened at the beginning you can understand how he is with her as he probably still blames himself for his daughter's death and didn't want the responsibility of Ellie due to this. He's trying to remain cold but there's little cracks appearing here and there.
Was going to say I'm not 100% certain pistol head shots guarantee a kill every time but if it's the rifle (and your enemies aren't wearing steel helmets - you'll notice the difference if you've had a go at factions) I can't see how it isn't working. My first perk was to steady the aim but with 85% accuracy over the play through and intentions of hitting the enemy almost perfectly on the nose every time, I'm pretty sure that's the perk to go for if you haven't already. I'm rarely the person that moans about how resident evil games have no ammo but in this game you're shown from the off that every shot counts, take your time with the shots and keep calm even when your cover is blown.
Spoiler: show
Unfortunately, when it comes to one or two type of enemies (the clicker and bloater) the head shot rule doesn't stand but it added to the tension for the clicker and in the case of the bloater it makes it much more of a challenging threat.

User avatar
DomsBeard
Member
Posts: 3669
Joined: September 2nd, 2012, 5:03 pm
Location: Doms Chin

Re: The Last of Us

Post by DomsBeard »

I've not really explored the upgrades apart from boosting my health as I try not to fire a shot unless I have to so it happens I've got plenty of bullets.

Not a fan of
Spoiler: show
Bloaters, just an annoying bullet sponge but I've only killed one so far at the school I ran from the other after firing up the generator to use the key card, that bit was tense.

Post Reply