Borderlands & Borderlands 2

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
James

Re: Borderlands & Borderlands 2

Post by James »

The unthinkable has happened. I pre-ordered Borderlands 2 at a certain online retailer and it hasn't arrived a day early! :cry:

Oh well, my reignited fervour will have to wait until tomorrow. Guess I have time to take down Old Hero in Demon's Souls now.
NokkonWud

Post by NokkonWud »

Ordered my copy cheap through Sainsbury's and unsurprisingly it didn't turn up today, but then I wouldn't be playing it until tomorrow anyway because I'll be getting friends around to play it on LAN in person. Always more fun if you can do that.
W1DGET

Post by W1DGET »

My copy arrived today from Shopto, will be on this tonight seeing as F1 2012 didn't arrive today.
RoboticMonk3y

Post by RoboticMonk3y »

Tesco have dispatched a copy (wife's copy), Sainbury's have not (my copy :( ).
I wonder if the wife is going to be willing to share? :S
NokkonWud

Post by NokkonWud »

W1DGET wrote:My copy arrived today from Shopto, will be on this tonight seeing as F1 2012 didn't arrive today.
You best sodding not be! Wait for me and Lee tomorrow night you schmuck!
W1DGET

Post by W1DGET »

NokkonWud wrote:
W1DGET wrote:My copy arrived today from Shopto, will be on this tonight seeing as F1 2012 didn't arrive today.
Bah! I'm going to have to play Burnout Crash again tonight! Hmm maybe more WRC 3 Demo, can't stop playing it! :D
James

Post by James »

W1DGET wrote:
NokkonWud wrote:
Bah! I'm going to have to play Burnout Crash again tonight! Hmm maybe more WRC 3 Demo, can't stop playing it! :D
Can't you start an alt character just to play around a bit, and unlock some Badass Points, or is that off limits? Karl? :?:
NokkonWud

Post by NokkonWud »

Nein!!
Sean

Post by Sean »

I know it was probably a tough call, but, I'm glad you changed your stance on this one, James. Earlier this year, I was morally boycotting Fez, but, the reviews were so good, and, it looked like a game I was going to love, so, I bit the bullet, and, bought it anyway, and was glad I did. Sometimes, you just gotta put the art before the artist. I also still have no problem thinking Phil Fish is still a jerk, but, he made a great game, and, I'm glad I played it.

As much as you liked Borderlands, I imagine you're gonna have a blast with this one. I can't stop playing it. :D
Sean

Post by Sean »

mikeleddy83 wrote: The reviews have been ridiculously high so far and I'm thinking of renting this on friday, do you think it's a fair few notches above the last one and different enough to feel fresh to those not wholy enthused with the first?
Sorry, Mike, I didn't see this earlier!

I think the game has made some significant improvements, but, I'm not sure people who weren't fans of the first would like this one much better. There's certainly a lot more story, more guns, more enemies, literally more everything. If that's what you wanted, but felt like you didn't get from the first one, then, it's certainly worth giving a shot.
AndyKurosaki

Post by AndyKurosaki »

Got my copy, now to sink some serious time into it. Gunzerker all the way :lol:
James

Post by James »

Sean wrote:I know it was probably a tough call, but, I'm glad you changed your stance on this one, James. Earlier this year, I was morally boycotting Fez, but, the reviews were so good, and, it looked like a game I was going to love, so, I bit the bullet, and, bought it anyway, and was glad I did. Sometimes, you just gotta put the art before the artist. I also still have no problem thinking Phil Fish is still a jerk, but, he made a great game, and, I'm glad I played it.
Wiser words have rarely been spoken. All too often I'll see an interview with someone who's work I admire and they turn out to be a raging idiot. I'm reminded of the dilemma I had over Shadow Complex, and I'm glad I played that.

Is John Hemingway sexist? I have no idea. Did he phrase an answer to an interview question poorly and (inadvertently or not) make a comment that could be read as sexist? Absolutely. But Borderlands was my favourite game of 2009 ahead of some stiff competition, and I owe it to myself and Gearbox to play Borderlands 2.

For anyone who hasn't read this article by Leigh Alexander, I can't recommend it highly enough.
Xantiriad

Post by Xantiriad »

RoboticMonk3y wrote:Tesco have dispatched a copy (wife's copy), Sainbury's have not (my copy :( ).
I have the same problem. My 360 copy arrived yesterday from ShopTo and my wife's 360 copy hasn't yet arrived from GAME. Hopefully today.

* I am also picking up a third copy (PS3) from a local independent store to get the TopTrumps pack this Saturday.
James

Post by James »

Xantiriad wrote:* I am also picking up a third copy (PS3) from a local independent store to get the TopTrumps pack this Saturday.
I couldn't find anywhere in the midlands stocking these, so I'm having to do without. Makes me sad as they seem like an excellent collector's item. :(
NokkonWud

Post by NokkonWud »

iwatttfodiwwfa wrote:
For anyone who hasn't read this article by Leigh Alexander, I can't recommend it highly enough.
Boo, Karl says that and no one listens, Leigh Alexander says it and now it's understandable. I'm not hurt James. Nope! :P
NokkonWud

Post by NokkonWud »

iwatttfodiwwfa wrote:
Xantiriad wrote:* I am also picking up a third copy (PS3) from a local independent store to get the TopTrumps pack this Saturday.
I couldn't find anywhere in the midlands stocking these, so I'm having to do without. Makes me sad as they seem like an excellent collector's item. :(
Yep, none around here either. Entered numerous Twitter competitions too but with no luck. Great idea.

Sorry to hear both versions didn't turn up Gary. Hate it when that happens (happened twice to me in the past) it's never nice. Hopefully it turns up today.
James

Post by James »

NokkonWud wrote:Boo, Karl says that and no one listens, Leigh Alexander says it and now it's understandable. I'm not hurt James. Nope! :P
Sadly we never got the chance to have a conversation on the matter (I wish we had), and I refrained from Twitter conversations on it as I didn't want to labour my decision. It was my gf that changed my mind, and, honestly, she was the only one who could. I just liked Leigh's take on the matter. Apologies for any emotional scarring that results from my flip-flopping. :oops:
RoboticMonk3y

Post by RoboticMonk3y »

Xantiriad wrote:
RoboticMonk3y wrote:Tesco have dispatched a copy (wife's copy), Sainbury's have not (my copy :( ).
I have the same problem. My 360 copy arrived yesterday from ShopTo and my wife's 360 copy hasn't yet arrived from GAME. Hopefully today.

* I am also picking up a third copy (PS3) from a local independent store to get the TopTrumps pack this Saturday.
I tried get a game of split screen, but the wife refused to share a screen!
I got an email saying that my copy had dispatched yesterday, and while the wife was having a bath last night, I pre-installed it to the hard drive.
Got a good weekend of gaming ahead :)
steg666

Post by steg666 »

I wasn't going to get Borderlands 2 because FIFA 13 is out next week but I've got a few unplayed games sitting here that may cover most of the cost of Borderlands if I go with a trade in. Lego Batman 2, MW3, Forza 4 and Gears 3.

I loved the first one but missed alot of the co-op side of the game due to buying it later than most of my mates. I don't fancy making the same mistake again as this is meant to be one of the best ways to play it.
NokkonWud

Post by NokkonWud »

Co-op is definitely the best way to play it, but really steg, put feelers out there for someone to play with who wont play without you, that way you experience everything fresh for the first time and you don't out-level each other. Even 2 levels apart in Borderlands (1) was brutal for co-op.