Gotta catch 'em all things Pokémon

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
ratsoalbion
Admin

Re: Gotta catch 'em all things Pokémon

Post by ratsoalbion »

Is Pokemon really a game that lends itself well to a short demo?
RoboticMonk3y

Post by RoboticMonk3y »

maybe if it's power-levelled like in the crackdown demo...

This thread has made me pick up pokemon black again. got my 8th gym badge and now need to level myself up for the elite 4, it could be the first game I see through to the very end.
chase210

Post by chase210 »

I think it depends who you're trying to get. I remember the black/white demo all those years ago at Game at an event, and I thought it demonstrated the game very well indeed, although that did significantly upgrade the look of the battle system, so maybe it'll depend on how X+Y looks.
chase210

Post by chase210 »

I'm currently doing a nuzlocke run on pokemon soulsilver which essentially is playing by a set of rules which vary a bit, but the basic set is

You can only catch the first pokemon on each route your on, one pokemon per place.
If a pokemon faints its considered dead.
All pokemon to be nicknamed.
If you black out(lose all pokemon) game over.

Idea is to encourage you to play different and use pokemon you wouldn't normally. 5 badges in, I have meganium, raticate, and graveller, and vaporeon.

And in another exciting news item, the current pokemon series with ash and pikachu isn't exactly known for its stellar quality, but this was released today

Scrustle

Post by Scrustle »

So is that a real show based on the original games? That sounds really cool. How official is it?
chase210

Post by chase210 »

It is real, pokemon of Japan uploaded it today, so pretty official.
Scrustle

Post by Scrustle »

Nice! I hope it comes out here in some form.
chase210

Post by chase210 »

I'd say it will, too good to miss. And I just passed my pokemon professor exam again :D
Scrustle

Post by Scrustle »

It turns out at the same event that new show was announced, a strange image has shown up that's got people wondering. It looks like an HD Pokemon battle:

It apparently showed up at the end of a trailer showcasing the history of the series, so people are guessing it might be a future WiiU game. I'm a bit skeptical myself. Although I suppose it's very likely there will be a Pokemon game on the WiiU at some point, in the vein of Stadium and its successors, I don't think this will be that. It would be quite a while off. I think it's even less likely it'll be what we all really want it to be either, that being an RPG like Colosseum, or an HD game in the style of the portables. I'd love it to be that just as much as anyone else, but the idea of them has a kind of "Half Life 3 syndrome" about it. People always jump to conclusions about it because they want it so bad.

I was going to say it looks like an ARG game, because how the background looks too realistic and not very Pokemon world-esque, as well as the Pokemon themselves not looking quite right in the environment, but looking closer I see some interesting things. There are Pokemon-related things in the background. The billboard in the top right corner, and what look like some big Pokemon balloons to the left of it. Maybe this might turn out to be something cool after all.

EDIT: Here's the full video:

Definitely looks like a proper game of some sort.
chase210

Post by chase210 »

chase210

Post by chase210 »

dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

I wouldn't be surprised if it was a Pokemon Stadium for Wii U which links up with the 3DS! Looks blummin lovely, mind.
chase210

Post by chase210 »

Audio is much more audible there, sounds pretty great.
chase210

Post by chase210 »

Pokemon direct at 12 today guys. I'm expecting

New mega evolutions
Final starter evolutions
Maybe... older games on 3DS VC?
chase210

Post by chase210 »

Pokemon Bank App to be released for 3DS which uses the infinite power of the cloud to store all your Pokemon. You can access your Pokemon Bank from Pokemon X and Y, to take out Pokemon as you need, and Pokemon Bank will work with future games in the series so you'll always have access to your Pokemon without needing to constantly trade from game to game. It'll have a small annual fee, apparently, to cover the costs of maintenance as well as updating your stored Pokemon to work with future games. However, there will be a trial at first. If you don't have any interest in the storage aspect, it sounds like the free trial will allow you to still transfer your old Pokemon and then ignore the service.

Pokemon Bank is not tied to a particular 3DS or game save, so is presumably account based, so you can move between saves (and hardware) without worry.

Pokemon Transporter will work with Pokemon Bank to move your Pokemon from Black and White / Black 2 and White 2 to the new generation. It'll move your old generation Pokemon into the cloud, and then you can select your favourites for use in X and Y.

The original Kanto starts, as expected, get Mega Evolutions. Mega Blastoise looks particularly ace.

Also a bit about the start of the game, and how they've mixed up the "starter Pokemon" process: You get two starters now. The Professor actually gives you a choice between the Kanto starters, while one of your friends / rivals gives you a choice of the new starters.

3DS X+Y hardware confirmed for US/UK on september 27th
chase210

Post by chase210 »

chase210

Post by chase210 »

Corocoro came out today, so new info galore

Mewtwo has two Mega Evolutions! The latest one is called Mega Mewtwo X and is exclusive to Pokemon X. It is Psychic/Fighting, has Steadfast as its Ability, and its Mega Stone is called "Mewtwonite X." The original Mega Mewtwo is obviously called Mega Mewtwo Y, is exclusive to Pokemon Y, is Psychic-type, can learn Hypnosis, and its Mega Stone is called "Mewtwonite Y."
Mega Garchomp has Sand Force as its Ability.
Fairy-type is super effective against Fighting, Dark, and Dragon, weak to Steel and Poison, resists Fighting, Dark, and Bug, is not very effective against Steel, Fire, and Poison, and is immune to Dragon. (Our leaker got most of them correct!)
Steel's Dark and Ghost-type resistances are gone now.
Hariboogu is Chespin's evolution, Grass-type, and learns Mud Shot. Teerunaa is Fennekin's evolution, is Fire-type, learns Psycho Cut, and has a twig in its broom-like tail (will it evolve into a witch or something?). Gekogashira, Froakie's evolution, is Water-type and learns Bounce.
Two Fossil Pokemon are revealed: Chigorasu (the brown T. Rex) is a Rock/Dragon type has Hard Chin as its Ability, which increases the attack of moves involving the jaw, like Crunch. Amarusu (the blue Pokemon) is a Rock/Ice type and has Freeze Skin as its Ability, which changes all its Normal-type attacks to Ice-type attacks and boosts their power as well.
Torimian, a white Normal-type Pokemon (the one from the Pokemon Direct), has Fur Coat as its Ability, which cuts the damage from moves that come into contact with it in half. A new game mechanic allows you to trim its fur to change its appearance. Round Eyes is a new Fairy-type attack it can learn. Nyaonikusu (Meowstick from the leaks), a Psychic-type cat, has major gender differences. Each gender has a different set of movepools, with the male's movepool being more aggressive and the female's being more supportive. The male can learn Miracle Eye whereas the female can learn Extrasensory (the female is on the left, the male is on the right). Nyaonikusu has Keen Eye or Infiltrator as its Abilities.
For some reason Parting Shot, Geomancy, and Oblivion Wing are listed as unknown types (???) even though Geomancy was originally announced as a Fairy-type move and Oblivion Wing was announced as a Dark-type move. Hmm... our leaker strikes again? Dual-typed moves?
There are five scientists associated with Team Flare: Kuseroshiki, Momiji, Bara, Akebi, and Kolea. Team Flare's goal is to create a beautiful new world.
You can customize your clothes and hair at a Salon/Boutique. A famous actress named Karune helps you.

chase210

Post by chase210 »

New pokemon revealed today, some kind of evolved form :)
chase210

Post by chase210 »

Some canadian retailers broke the street date on XY, so there's spoilers abound!
I also watched pokemon origins today. Miles better than the actual anime.
Scrustle

Post by Scrustle »

Origins is out already? In English?