Gotta catch 'em all things Pokémon

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
ratsoalbion
Admin

Re: Gotta catch 'em all things Pokémon

Post by ratsoalbion »

No Pokémon Z.
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

There's something about Pokkén Tournament which has me interested but I'm not sure. The CGI intro looks brilliant, though.

Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

That's going to be at EVO, which could be easy money for some if not many enter...
chase210

Post by chase210 »

So, Sun and Moon are out in 4 months. Pokemon Go is enormously successful, even if its not much good. And the pokemon anime might finally be retiring Ash! Cool stuff.

And pokemon RBY are 30% off on the e-shop.
chase210

Post by chase210 »

So Pokemon S&M demo on the e-shop on the 18th! I'm crazy excited for it, more than I was for ORAS or XY.
chase210

Post by chase210 »

So the demo released. It's fun! The biggest changes (so far) are aesthetic, but it makes a much bigger difference than I imagined.
Suits

Post by Suits »

Yeah, I gave it a bash too.

Not having played a Pokemon game since I think the first one on the Gameboy, I was a taken back a bit and didn't recognise a single thing :lol: .

Not really my kind of game to be honest, so I doubt I'll be getting the full release but it's certainly moved on since I last played a Pokemon game and will no doubt be huge.
chase210

Post by chase210 »

It will, I'm really happy with it.

It is worth noting through the framerate was much worse on original 3DS consoles than the 'New' ones.
chase210

Post by chase210 »

Sun & Moon is great. I like it a lot. Much better than XY/ORAS. But. Well for one, pokemon needs to get a grip with the endless tutorials, cos its really not that complicated. And second, S&M feel like, though not to any significant detriment, that stuff is being held for the Pokemon Stars edition on the Switch.

But I don't wanna be overly negative here. Good game, like it a lot.
Craig

Post by Craig »

Given Pokémon's audience, they absolutely need a robust tutorial in place. Sure, everyone's played Pokemon before, but for a lot of the people playing this is their first time. Many wouldn't have been able to read when X and Y were released.

That said, they should certainly have an option to let the game know it's not your first Pokémon and you know what you're doing. They realise that it's not just kids playing (since black and white the Japanese games have had a kanji option (with no furigana) which kids won't be able to read) so they should think about this approach in the wider sense.
gallo_pinto

Post by gallo_pinto »

Craig wrote:That said, they should certainly have an option to let the game know it's not your first Pokémon and you know what you're doing.
That's a really smart idea. I wonder how much work it would be to essentially create two different openings to the game.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

gallo_pinto wrote:
Craig wrote:That said, they should certainly have an option to let the game know it's not your first Pokémon and you know what you're doing.
That's a really smart idea. I wonder how much work it would be to essentially create two different openings to the game.
Intelligent Systems has been doing this with Fire Emblem for quite some time, offering the new player a softer, 'remixed' opening.
chase210

Post by chase210 »

It's a little frustrating after however many years of playing pokemon, to be told every single time I play through a pokemon game, how to throw a poke ball, how to use a pokemon centre, how to do the most basic things. I refuse to believe kids wouldn't grasp that.
Craig

Post by Craig »

Kids will grasp that, but only if you tell them about it. What you need to remember is that for many kids this is their first video game, period. What is obvious to us is completely new to them. You`d also be surprised at how thoroughly you have to explain things to kids.

I teach 5 and 6 year olds and when explaining how to do something completely new you really need to break it down to simple steps, showing what you want them to do, showing what you don`t want them to do, and then check to see if they understand. If you don`t, the smarter kids will probably pick it up, the average kids will be a bit hit and miss (and the less confident kids will be scared to get it wrong) and the low ability kids will be completely lost. These kids watch Pokemon and many have a 3DS and play Pokemon Go (with their parents), so I wouldn`t be at all surprised if they got this game for Christmas.

I think how the tutorial is implemented needs work - too much telling and not enough doing - but it needs to be there.
gallo_pinto

Post by gallo_pinto »

I think you two might have different ages in mind when you're talking about "kids". Chase is right that a 12 year old could pick that up without too much trouble, but Craig's point is completely correct when talking about 5 year olds. I think it's good for the industry as a whole if Pokemon casts the widest possible net because I think a lot of people's first video game is Pokemon (Red was one of my first games), so I side more with Craig that the tutorials need to be there. But a "New Player," "Veteran Player" system would help everyone. I'm finally getting around to Fire Emblem Awakenings over the December holidays, so I'm excited to see how Intelligent Systems does it.
Craig

Post by Craig »

They could probably do this pretty smoothly by the professor at the start asking your age and if you've played a Pokémon game before.
chase210

Post by chase210 »

Craig wrote:They could probably do this pretty smoothly by the professor at the start asking your age and if you've played a Pokémon game before.
Both of you guys are probably right. Big difference between age 5 and age 12 of course. That's a good solution idea. I just find it frustrating at this point to have my hand held for so long. Specially since going back to Red/Blue/Yellow there's hardly any tutorials in it at all. The pokeball tutorial is optional!
Suits

Post by Suits »

Is it me or are there a few language hip ups with this ? :lol:

I'm about an hour in and have seen a few.

Went with Litten, as it felt like most were talking about the Seal and the Owl, so I showed some love to the Cat.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Suits wrote:Is it me or are there a few language hip ups with this ? :lol:
With this post? Yeah!
#hipups
:P
Suits

Post by Suits »

ratsoalbion wrote: