Devil May Cry 1-5 & DmC

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
DarthCuddles

Re: Devil May Cry 1-4 & DmC

Post by DarthCuddles »

I was looking at the leaderboards earlier, and I thought I did very well with just over 27.5 million points in mission one but that isn't even a tenth of the top score, it makes me kind of wish there was a way to watch their runs of the mission
Todinho

Post by Todinho »

So after hearing the podcast and with the recent release of DMC,im thinking of playing the Devil may cry games that i didnt try,so should I get the DMC3&4 bundle on steam or should I hop on the reboot straight away?
Combine Hunter

Post by Combine Hunter »

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! DON'T GET DMC3 ON PC!!! WHATEVER YOU DO, DON'T DO THAT!!!

DMC3 on PC is a LEGENDARY shit port. I'm not talking a lack of PC options here, I'm talking fundamentally broken.

DMC4 is apparently fine on PC though. Get DMC3 on PS2, or buy the HD collection
DarthCuddles

Post by DarthCuddles »

Todinho wrote:So after hearing the podcast and with the recent release of DMC,im thinking of playing the Devil may cry games that i didnt try,so should I get the DMC3&4 bundle on steam or should I hop on the reboot straight away?
NEVER BUY THE PC VERSION OF 3 IT IS TOTALLY BROKEN. apparently the port of 4 is fine, I'd say grab the HD collection if you want to try out 3 and grab 4 cheap in a sale or the like. there is nothing wrong with just jumping into DmC straight away you aren't missing too much
Combine Hunter

Post by Combine Hunter »

I don't know Darth, DMC3 is still pretty fucking rad. I mean you can jump straight into DmC, but I'd still go back to 3 at some point.
DarthCuddles

Post by DarthCuddles »

Yeah I'd agree with that 3 should be played (just not on PC) , but isn't required to get into DmC
Todinho

Post by Todinho »

Ok message received no DMC3 on PC,problem is probably gonna take a while for me to get a PS2 version 3,not willing to pay money for anything contaning DMC2 even in HD,but thanks guys maybe i'll try 4 first if it comes out on a sale on steam
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

You can get the HD Collection for very cheap, not much more than a copy on the PS2 will cost you, but with better graphics and Achievements/Trophies. Do what we all do and simply pretend that 2 isn't in there.
Scrustle

Post by Scrustle »

I agree you should go for the DMC HD Collection. It is really cheap too. Assuming you live in Europe somewhere, Play.com has it on sale right now for only a few £'s more than any of the individual games on PS2. That's for the 360 version at least, but the PS3 version isn't much more expensive. Still cheaper than getting DMC1 and 3 on their own.
Todinho

Post by Todinho »

Yeah I was cheking the prices and it seems buying the HD version is gonna be better than hunting down a PS2 copy,I still kinda feel riped off for 2 being there but for the price and DMC1&3 i guess I cant complain
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

I've been playing this for the last few days and as Karl says, it does indeed ooze quality. I'm having an infinitely better time with it than I did recently with DMC for several reasons across all areas of the experience (writing, aesthetics and combat).
The £16 I paid for a Steam code is unreasonably good value especially as the PC version looks rather magnificent and runs hitch-free (on my admittedly brand new PC) at 60 fps.

I'm proud that we have both a terrific, positive review (by Josh) and a stellar Quick Rinse video (by Darren F) on the bog:
http://caneandrinse.com/dmc-devil-may-cry/
http://caneandrinse.com/dmc-devil-may-c ... streaking/
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

Haha, you said bog which is a toilet!!
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

dezm0nd wrote:Haha, you said bog which is a toilet!!
Oopsie :oops:
Baron Phil

Post by Baron Phil »

If anyone pre-ordered the PS3 version and has a code for Vergil's Downfall, try redeeming it. I used mine last night and it let me download it.
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

Ninja Theory return by taking the reigns of a much loved Capcom franchise. What are your thoughts on DmC Devil May Cry!?
Scrustle

Post by Scrustle »

Although I was always looking forward to DmC, I was doing so with caution initially. The series is a very Japanese one, and handing it to a Western developer was always going to be a risk. Even more so given the specific developer they picked. Ninja Theory don't exactly have the best track record, despite what review scores may say. I've not heard any glowing recommendations for Heavenly Sword, and my own experience of the demo left a lot to be desired. Enslaved suffered from sluggish controls and a story that was far from what it was hyped up to be. But once I finally got my hands on DmC I was pleased how well it turned out.

The combat in the game is great. Although it feels a little looser and less precise than other games in the series, it's still very good. It's fast and hectic, with brilliant visual and sound design to accompany it. It gives a fantastic feeling of empowerment when you get the hang of it and start experimenting with mixing different weapons and exploring the wide breadth of combos. You can tear through crowds of demons, like an untouchable whirlwind of chaos. There are a few nitpicks about the combat, but these are things you usually see some people blowing way out of proportion. That said, the lack of a lock-on ability is a problem. That makes the control input for the dash moves unwieldy and sometimes inaccurate. Two things that you really don't want your dash move to be. It's still usable though. I've played many similar games where the dash moves are far worse, and totally useless.

The platforming in the game is also pretty enjoyable. It's not exactly hard in any way, but it's fun flying through the air for silly distances. Pulling platforms towards you in mid-air for you to grapple on and such. It's a great use of the dynamic look to the level design.

The level design and the overall visuals are another great thing about the game. The design of the demons is very twisted and interesting, and environments are brilliant. Very colourful, and the way they move about with a total disregard for real world physics makes them feel alive. Like you really are in some kind of completely otherly realm that is malevolent towards you. Although I have to say sometimes the texture pop-in, especially in some of the late-game cutscenes can be pretty poor.

The music is great too. while I understand that it might not be to everyone's taste, I don't think it's really very far from the music that's always been in the series. It fits the gameplay so well too. It adds a lot to the intense fights. Although, when I've tried to listen to it on its own, without the game, it doesn't stand up as well. It does a great job of complementing the game, but outside of that it doesn't do much for me, with perhaps an exception of a couple of tracks.

There are some problems with the game's story though. The narrative itself doesn't really have much wrong with it. It's your usual video game fare of saving the world from the evil monsters, and it's well presented with great voice acting and motion capture, but there are still parts that rub me the wrong way. Although the voice actors are obviously good, what they're given to do isn't exactly Shakespeare. I wouldn't criticise the script as harshly as some people have, but there isn't really that much in the way of character development. The antagonist characters don't have any depth to them, and there isn't really anything compelling about them outside of what they're obviously parodying, and other characters are also similarly one-note. Kat doesn't seem to have any role in the narrative at all, and comments she drops about her past are never explored. Vergil's "secret" motives somehow manage to be completely obvious, yet come out of nowhere at the same time when they are finally revealed too.

But as for Dante himself, it's a slightly different story. People have completely overreacted to his depiction in this game. But if someone had only ever played the demo, I could totally understand why someone would have that image of him. At the beginning of the game he is utterly unlikeable. He's just rude and disrespectful to everyone, and thinks that curse words make him look clever. But as the game goes on, he becomes less abrasive, to the player at least. He stops being antagonistic to the people who are trying to help him, and his rebellious nature is focused towards enemies, which seems a lot more appropriate. You want to see them react to Dante's insubordination. But the moments of the story they took for the demo were his worst through the entire game. If Ninja Theory ever wanted people to warm to their version of Dante even in the slightest, they couldn't have picked a worse moment to show.

But on balance, I had a great time with the game. It's a commendable example of its genre, and it shows that Ninja Theory do in fact have the ability to make something great. Even if it never was, and still isn't really the DMC I most wanted, it was still a fun game. I wouldn't hate there to be a DmC2 at some point in the future, but I'd still rather see a DMC5 next.
Jerome McI

Post by Jerome McI »

When I first heard Ninja Theory were going to be making DmC I was cautiously optimistic, though I enjoyed the narrative in their games the combat never quite felt right, but once I got a chance to play it at Eurogamer my doubts were cleared.

The combat is very tight and flows excellently and the different take on the story is great. One of my favourite parts of the game were the presentation of the boss fights and the very last battle. Also the DLC was a great addition with a different presentation of the story and the way Virgil controls.

All in all DmC rates very highly for me and I look forward to where they go with the franchise, if they choose to continue it.
chase210

Post by chase210 »

I'm trying to get into DMC, but I'm not liking it at all. Think I'l give it a few more hours then its back to the shelf.
Scrustle

Post by Scrustle »

Which one? The original or the reboot?
chase210

Post by chase210 »

Oh, the reboot.