All things StarFox/StarWing/Lylat Wars

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Woodfella

Re: This week's podcast: The StarFox/StarWing saga

Post by Woodfella »

I have such fond memories of Lylat Wars. When I slot that cartridge in, pick up the controller and start it up it instills in me a reaction that few other games manage. I'm overcome with nostalgia and I'm taken all the way back to playing when I was little. I used to bunk of school just to play it all day, I was desperate to discover all the pathways and to get the highest score possible. I played it so much that every line of dialogue was familiar to me and used to mime along with Peppy's sage advice and Falco's wise cracks alike . I used to love the way it feeled to glide so close to the water you could see the ripples, I loved all the characters you met along the way, I loved that you could take lots of different routes i love spectacularly barell rolling to evade enemy lasers before blasting them to bits, I love pretty much everything about it. I may be blinded by nostalgia but, I do. Because of all this it remains one of my favourite games and always will. Having said all this, that submarine level can fuck the shit off
DomsBeard

Re: This week's podcast: The StarFox/StarWing saga

Post by DomsBeard »

Woodfella wrote:I have such fond memories of Lylat Wars. When I slot that cartridge in, pick up the controller and start it up it instills in me a reaction that few other games manage. I'm overcome with nostalgia and I'm taken all the way back to playing when I was little. I used to bunk of school just to play it all day, I was desperate to discover all the pathways and to get the highest score possible. I played it so much that every line of dialogue was familiar to me and used to mime along with Peppy's sage advice and Falco's wise cracks alike . I used to love the way it feeled to glide so close to the water you could see the ripples, I loved all the characters you met along the way, I loved that you could take lots of different routes i love spectacularly barell rolling to evade enemy lasers before blasting them to bits, I love pretty much everything about it. I may be blinded by nostalgia but, I do. Because of all this it remains one of my favourite games and always will. Having said all this, that submarine level can fuck the shit off
Agree with the above. I didn't enjoy the landmaster either, sorry Slippy ;)
ratsoalbion
Admin

Re: All things StarFox/StarWing/Lylat Wars

Post by ratsoalbion »

I only ordered my copy of Zero late yesterday, But Simply Games got it to me this morning. Only £29 odd too (with StarFox Guard).

Here's the first review I've seen (other than Famitsu's 35/40): http://www.nintendolife.com/reviews/wiiu/star_fox_zero
chase210

Post by chase210 »

Well I've pre ordered and paid for that first print edition, so I'm committed now. I'm sure its good anyway, if not mind bendingly great.
mikeleddy83

Post by mikeleddy83 »

I had committed to getting it on Friday but these reviews have given me cold feet for now, perhaps this will be akin to pikmin 3 and actually drop in price down the road. I'm willing to wait it out for now, can't wait to hear what you folk make of it.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

A spread of scores so far: http://www.gamerankings.com/wii-u/80561 ... index.html

2/5 stars from Giant Bomb as well.
Jusifer

Post by Jusifer »

clearly the game is for people who loved the n64 version and want more of the same with minimum tweaks to the core experience but still something new to justify the new game and not just play the n64 version again. the reviews are what they are since there is really nothing ground breaking but if you loved the old one that's not what you want. also if you're not willing to learn a new controlling mechanic I think it's a given that you should not bother. i haven't played the game obviously but I'm 100% sure it's not that hard to learn if you give it time (probably quite a lot of time) and once you master it it's gonna feel natural. the average of the reviews should imo be 7 since it's clearly not a bad game. it just has a long learning curve. if that was a good reason not to give a good review then dark souls should have bad reviews too. don't forget I have NOT played the game. this is just my feeling from the reviws and videos I've seen.

Lähetetty minun Nexus 6P laitteesta Tapatalkilla
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

Does Starfox Guard come with all copies of the game? I'm not sure if i'll get a copy of it or not!

Regardless, I'm pretty excited for a new Starfox game. I do WANT a similar game to Lylat Wars and those scoring it down because of what it is seems odd to me. Going to be an interesting time, regardless!

That reviewer who refuses to review it because it's "too bad" is just a knob, though.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Guard only comes with copies which cost about £10 more, but you can download it from the eShop for a similar price I believe so [shrugs].
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

GSMason

Post by GSMason »

dezm0nd wrote:Does Starfox Guard come with all copies of the game? I'm not sure if i'll get a copy of it or not!

Regardless, I'm pretty excited for a new Starfox game. I do WANT a similar game to Lylat Wars and those scoring it down because of what it is seems odd to me. Going to be an interesting time, regardless!

That reviewer who refuses to review it because it's "too bad" is just a knob, though.
That polygon non review from Arthur Gies is ridiculous IMO.

"It is, to be blunt, a miserable experience, and the idea of playing more fills me with the kind of deep, existential dread I can't really justify....."

"....This isn't a review of Star Fox Zero. Save for very rare, extreme circumstances, Polygon reviews require that a game be completed, or at least a good-faith effort be made to complete it.

I am not playing any more Star Fox Zero."
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

I've long since ceased to care about Polygon's occasional random weirdness. It's kinda their thing, they're always going to do it, and getting annoyed about it rather than just moving on to read something else isn't the best use of your time.

When they're good, they're great. When they're bad, they're best ignored.

It's part of the concept that all gaming media sites should be catering to the whole audience, which is silly. In no other media do we expect everyone that does reviews to play to the whole crowd. No-one expects Empire and Sight and Sound to agree with the film critics in the Sun on Sunday do they? The book reviewer in the Evening Standard is clearly going to like very different things to the one in the Guardian, and so on...

If Polygon is getting your back up, you probably aren't the audience they're writing for anyway. And that's fine.
Jusifer

Post by Jusifer »

Imo people should start thinking more that the reviews are only that one persons opinion on the game. not that the game is automatically bad if one person says so. just like with movie critics people should find the critic that has the same taste as they do.

Lähetetty minun Nexus 6P laitteesta Tapatalkilla
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Well precisely.

I'm not a fan of Gies or the way that non-review was handled, but people who want a critical concensus with no variance don't really seem to understand the concept of subjectivity too well.
mikeleddy83

Post by mikeleddy83 »

Didn't realise they even had a review but rest assured it'd rarely ever factor them into my decision making. The actual review to give me cold feet was oddly the relatively good ign one I think where the controls were never an issue, I can adapt to controls all day long. In spite of this the words on level design are where the gut feelings came from, please tell me they are wrong. A good star fox game is probably only 45 minutes to completion but if those 45 minutes aren't solid gold I'm out, I think that was the issue I had with the namco effort if I'm remembering right though it wasn't bad by a long stretch.
Suits

Post by Suits »

Loving playing this. I'm playing it with my wife who is a total noob to games, watches me play the Wii U as it's on the main TV but other wise never touches the pad (apart from 2D Mario's and SMM). She flying using the Pro controller and I'm using the gamepad to shoot.

We're getting there and it's certainly fun watching our scores improve each time we play.

I too ordered the First Print Edition and for what you get it's wonderful value, plus the quality is higher than what I was expecting to get. Very pleased with it.

mikeleddy83

Post by mikeleddy83 »

Looks sick! Thanks for posting, always a pleasure to see what a collectors edition looks like (especially from a fan too).
Suits

Post by Suits »

mikeleddy83 wrote:Looks sick! Thanks for posting, always a pleasure to see what a collectors edition looks like (especially from a fan too).
Cheers man, yeah, I'm a sucker for stuff like this, got a whole room for it all, lol.