Game suggestions for the podcast

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
FollowMyRuin

Re: Game suggestions for the podcast

Post by FollowMyRuin »

No doubt this has cropped up at some point, but it would be great to hear a show on the F-Zero series. Great memories of the original way back when, and a feather in my gaming hat is definitely seeing off the cruelly difficult F-Zero GX last year after some 10 years of trying, what a game!
seansthomas

Post by seansthomas »

Had a quick scan of the suggestions and many have cropped up. Ones I'd love to hear your thoughts on though are:

Metroid Prime Trilogy (guess there's a bigger series in that though from the comments!)
Sin & Punishment 2
The WipEout games
Time crisis
Operation Rainfall trilogy (Pandoras Tower, Xenoblade Chronicles, Last story - game length may be an issue for XC but Last Story is a great little blast)
The original Tomb Raider
Prince of Persia: Sands of time
Enslaved
Year walk / Device 6

Feel like the Amiga should get more love too, but logistically may be difficult. Loved Liberation: Captive 2, Desert Strike, Cannon fodder and Syndicate.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

I could've sworn they've done one on 'The Last Story' already, but I can't find the thread!
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

All you ever have to do to find an old issue of the podcast (or see if we've done one on a particular game) is use the search box on the home page:

Enslaved: Odyssey to the West: http://caneandrinse.com/issue-seven/

The Last Story: http://caneandrinse.com/the-last-story-cane-rinse-114/

All your other suggestions are already under consideration Sean, you'll be pleased to hear.

:)
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

I was looking for a forum thread in the Volume 3 sub forum.

And it doesn't have one.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

What a peculiar oversight!
It does now, thanks for the heads-up, Glen.

But as a general tip to all: We do get quite a number of requests for podcasts we've already done nowadays, which is very flattering and all, but a quick search on the homepage will usually reap rewards! ;)

http://caneandrinse.com/

Every new podcast will always be posted on the blog first and foremost - because it has to be to become available for download - with the forum post (and Facebook, Twitter etc.) done manually afterwards, so the homepage and iTunes feed are the places to check first and foremost.
seansthomas

Post by seansthomas »

Thanks guys. How weird, I listen to the podcast via an Android app called Podcast Addict and never noticed those before. Will be sure to rectify that once I get through these Half-Life 2 episodes...

Edit: Just found TLStory. Weirdly, this app doesn't show any episodes prior to #20
JaySevenZero
Admin

Post by JaySevenZero »

Flabyo wrote:I was looking for a forum thread in the Volume 3 sub forum.

And it doesn't have one.
Well, you weren't looking hard enough, it was on page 2! :)
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

Well that's a pretty epic fail on my part.

Woo.

(In my defence, the forum search has so many common words it doesn't let you use that searching for 'the last story' is impossible :) )
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

To be fair to Flabyo I didn't find it either - to the point that I made an entirely new thread (as you probably saw)! :oops:
Huangtiangongren1

Post by Huangtiangongren1 »

Zelda: A link between worlds
Dead Rising 3
GTA V
Rayman Legends
Watch Dogs
Assassins Creed IV
The Metroid Series
You could try FIFA the way you tackled Football Manager or even do a FIFA vs PES as me and my circle of friends have swapped between the too every few years and even stayed religiously with PES for a solid 6 years
mikeleddy83

Post by mikeleddy83 »

Huangtiangongren1 wrote:You could try FIFA the way you tackled Football Manager or even do a FIFA vs PES as me and my circle of friends have swapped between the too every few years and even stayed religiously with PES for a solid 6 years
I like this suggestion, I'd like to add my vote. Some of my favourite episodes have been the slightly off the wall ones like the BF3 multiplayer episode and the round up of arcade games under the streets of rage podcast. The football manager show is probably the only podcast I've managed to get my brother to listen to, as a bonus I actually enjoyed it too.

Saying that, I did check the schedule and my ears were piqued for the upcoming Sensible (WO) Soccer and Threes! shows as little as they relate to my hobby habits.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

The thing with FIFA is how far back do you go? I remember the hoopla and fanfare around that original Megadrive release. At the time it was a game that felt nothing like the Kick-Off and Sensi Soccer games that we were used to. It was clear even then that EA were going for a completely different feel for their game. Then there's the Mega CD release that added lots more teams and also lots of Adidas adverts. What most people think of as FIFA probably comes about a few years into the PS1 era, but then you need to look at games like Olympic Soccer for the contrast.

Sports games need to be judged so much in the context of their rival titles. There's possibly an entirely separate podcast to be done purely about how world sport has been adapted over the years (baseball for example, given it's big in the US and Japan has probably had more video game adaptations than any other sport, ever...)
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Well given that it's me and it's Cane and Rinse, we would obviously have to go back to FIFA International Soccer in 1993, but it's not a task that I'm massively keen on undertaking at this point!
mikeleddy83

Post by mikeleddy83 »

Sadly I've barely played FIFA so I had no idea how much of an undertaking it was (Ultra FIFA EX+ alpha etc. ;) ) but I'm pretty sure my oddball side will be sated with the Sensible Soccer stuff.
fieldy

Post by fieldy »

Warioland 4 - Nintendo R&D1's last proper warioland game before they changed direction and went with warioware. A decent plat former with big bold graphics - one of the best looking games on the GBA IMO
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

fieldy wrote:Warioland 4 - Nintendo R&D1's last proper warioland game before they changed direction and went with warioware. A decent plat former with big bold graphics - one of the best looking games on the GBA IMO
Hello!

The intention is to - some day - pick up on all the handheld Mario games we missed from Super Mario Land onwards until the series seques into the Wario Land series and beyond, right up to Super Mario 3D Land and 3D World.

I'm also keen to somehow squeeze in Treasure's Wario World and Good-feel's Shake Dimension!

It won't be for a while though as we've not long since done the 'core' Mario series, and we still have a certain pointy-eared boy's adventures to cover next!
fieldy

Post by fieldy »

ratsoalbion wrote:
fieldy wrote:Warioland 4 - Nintendo R&D1's last proper warioland game before they changed direction and went with warioware. A decent plat former with big bold graphics - one of the best looking games on the GBA IMO
Hello!

The intention is to - some day - pick up on all the handheld Mario games we missed from Super Mario Land onwards until the series seques into the Wario Land series and beyond, right up to Super Mario 3D Land and 3D World.

I'm also keen to somehow squeeze in Treasure's Wario World and Good-feel's Shake Dimension!

It won't be for a while though as we've not long since done the 'core' Mario series, and we still have a certain pointy-eared boy's adventures to cover next!
Ah I see, well I look forward to it! Hello as well :lol:
deacon05oc

Post by deacon05oc »

Marvel Ultimate Alliance. A longtime favorite of mine
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

deacon05oc wrote:Marvel Ultimate Alliance. A longtime favorite of mine
Ooh, good call! There's an equally good sequel and you could even cover the XMen game that came before it.

Of course sourcing the thing is pretty hard because once Activision lost the licence it got stomped on hard to the point that the DLC was deleted from Xbox Live...