Game suggestions for the podcast

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
ratsoalbion
Admin

Re: Game suggestions for the podcast

Post by ratsoalbion »

As I always say as a caveat, there are now over 1400 games (about 28 years' worth!) on the long-list and we need to have enough people on the team who want to podcast about any particular one, so please no-one hold their breath while waiting for a particular show.

Also, multiple mentions/nominations for the same titles doesn't make them any more likely to happen - it still ultimately comes down to enthusiasm among the team.

Everything suggested is added and everything added is considered though, and that's a Cane and Rinse promise!
:)
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Grandia
Fatal Frame series
Majin and the Forsaken Kingdom
Rule of Rose
Shadow Hearts
Shin Megami Tensei Nocturne - aka SMT Lucifer's Call in the UK
Suikoden II
Tenchu
Tokyo Jungle
Already on the list.

Ape Escape series
Disaster Report/Raw Danger
Incredible Crisis
Jade Cocoon
Maken X
Michigan
Mister Mosquito (Ka)
Worms series
Added to the list.
Tleprie

Post by Tleprie »

I'm sure it may already be on the list, but if not, I'd like to toss World of Goo in.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Tleprie wrote:I'm sure it may already be on the list, but if not, I'd like to toss World of Goo in.
Oddly enough it wasn't as I was a fan and finished it on WiiWare.
Now rectified.
Jobobonobo

Post by Jobobonobo »

ratsoalbion wrote:As I always say as a caveat, there are now over 1400 games (about 28 years' worth!) on the long-list and we need to have enough people on the team who want to podcast about any particular one, so please no-one hold their breath while waiting for a particular show.

Also, multiple mentions/nominations for the same titles doesn't make them any more likely to happen - it still ultimately comes down to enthusiasm among the team.
Oh dear that is quite a gargantuan list you have got there! I just wanted to remind them it was on the list but did get a little eager about thinking it was definitely going to be an episode on it. But yeah, it is your call at the end of the day and I look forward to Volume Six regardless of what will be on there.

I think it is good that the discussion for what games you do lie on who in the team is eager to play and talk about it because if you had to go through every suggestion, then this podcast could potentially become a bit more of a chore than you could otherwise have intended. I have been lurking some of the earlier pages on this thread and seen it mentioned that the entire Sonic series has been added to the list. I can certainly see ye talking about the Mega Drive titles but expecting ye to play through Sonic 06 would seem to be bordering on the sadistic to me! Speaking of which, has there been a title you have played for the show which you have outright despised? Most of the C&R episodes I have listened to have been mostly positive celebrations with the exception of Aliens: Colonial Marines and Too Human so would be interested to hear your answer!
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

In many ways I would love to tackle the Sonic series from start to finish (or to present). Sometimes the games you don't necessarily expect make for the more interesting or surprising shows.

For example, originally I was against doing the later, Western-developed Silent Hill games but I was won over (mainly by Karl), and we ended up having some interesting discussions, with even the producers getting involved.

However, it did mean taking a long chunk out of my life playing games that I'd never really wanted or intended to play, and that would certainly be the case if we went beyond Sonic & Knuckles in that particular, 30 game plus series!

So yes, as I've said earlier in this thread, there are a huge number of considerations when we select the shows that we're going to make. Community suggestions are welcomed (hence this thread) but it's not something we could ever make democratic.

I can't think of a game I've truly despised that I've played for the podcast. I Am Alive came the closest, to the point that I had to drop out of that one, unable to find the motivation to continue.

While fascinating and admirable in many ways, I also found Shenmue and Shenmue II a chore to actually play in 2012/2013, but I couldn't find it in my heart to actually 'hate' those.
chase210

Post by chase210 »

Sonic games are super short though, if you raced through them so to speak.

Did anyone suggest Pokemon? Oh I did in 2013. I'll suggest it again.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Still on the list, but we don't have any major Pokémon fans among the team I'm afraid.
ThirdDrawing

Post by ThirdDrawing »

ratsoalbion wrote:As I always say as a caveat, there are now over 1400 games (about 28 years' worth!) on the long-list and we need to have enough people on the team who want to podcast about any particular one, so please no-one hold their breath while waiting for a particular show.

Everything suggested is added and everything added is considered though, and that's a Cane and Rinse promise!
:)
I had hoped not to make too many suggestions that were repeats, but it's also nice to know you're already considering some of the same games I suggested. At least you're not going to run out of content.
Joshihatsumitsu

Post by Joshihatsumitsu »

A non-serious game suggestion for year 264 of the podcast (also known as the intergalactic years of the podcast, where hyper-travel is very common): Takashi's Challenge (Takeshi no Chōsenjō) on the Famicom! :lol:

I can image people's history of the game ranging from never played it to heard of it, but never played it. I picked up a cart for ¥400 (@ £2.50 at the time) on my last trip to Japan, and apart from having a little go of it on the Retrofreak console the cartridge more or less just sits on the shelf, a small souvenir and an odd piece of gaming history.

Maybe that episode will be jacked directly into my brain via Matrix-type pods in 264 years time. I should still be around... :cry:
Alphizzle

Post by Alphizzle »

The game that I'd like to suggest for the podcast discussion is: ' Mercenaries: Playground of Destruction' by Pandemic.

This game is a console classic, widely regarded as the only title that gave the GTA PS2 series a run for its money. Mercenaries provided engaging mechanics that facilitated opportunities for emergent gameplay, engaging environments, significant player freedom and a rebellious narrative design that challenged the need for media to be "politically correct"....quite literally. One of the few games that delivered on all of its promises and embraces what it is, allowing fans to forgive and embrace its minor flaws.

I would love a podcast dedicated to this masterpiece of a game.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Alphizzle wrote:Mercenaries: Playground of Destruction
Added to the long-list, along with the sequel.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Lords Of The Fallen would be interesting I think. It is, in every conceivable way, a discount store Dark Souls, but I am absolutely loving it! It reviewed fairly well, but I've not seen anyone on forums or podcasts say anything nice about it. I think people should give it a chance.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Alex79uk wrote:Lords Of The Fallen
Tony added it some time ago, but as it stands no-one on the team has finished it.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

It is on the list, two of the team have finished it.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

I keep trying to remember to go back and do NewGame+ on that to see how the plot changes...
ThirdDrawing

Post by ThirdDrawing »

Just out of curiosity, have any of the old SSI D&D games been suggested? They're on GOG now I believe.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

I don't believe so, but to be honest I wouldn't anticipate there being much enthusiasm among the crew for playing (or re-playing) those.

I'm happy to add specific titles to the big list if you tell me what they are though.
ThirdDrawing

Post by ThirdDrawing »

I think Pool of Radiance would be the best one to play, honestly.

It's the oldest and it's bound to seem primitive today, but I still think it has the best story.

I was just curious. Are any of the old C64 RPGs on the list? (Wasteland, Battletech, Phantasie, Bard's Tale etc)
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Wasteland is on there I think, I don't think the others you mention are.

I'dvery much like to cover more 8-bit pieces but generally it's much more of a stretch for quite a few reasons.