Game suggestions for the podcast

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
RoboticMonk3y

Re: Game Suggestions for the Podcast

Post by RoboticMonk3y »

ratsoalbion wrote: Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit is the best Burnout game, followed by Burnout 2: Point of Impact. FACTIMATION ;)
I've never played NFS:HP,
I'll add it to my list of games to pick up if I spy them on the cheap!
Dante Fireseed

Post by Dante Fireseed »

ratsoalbion wrote:
Vagrant Story
I would love to do this one. Been in my backlog for 12 years now! I reckon the latter-day Souls fans would lap this game up.
cool, hope that you get to it soon it really is my favourite Square game, for me it typifies their peak in the late 90's and a true swansong for the PS1. Glorious!
NokkonWud

Post by NokkonWud »

ratsoalbion wrote:
Dante Fireseed wrote:
Vagrant Story
I would love to do this one. Been in my backlog for 12 years now! I reckon the latter-day Souls fans would lap this game up.
Same here. I have a lot of friends who still rave about this and I've wanted to play it. A reason to would be brilliant...
Ghost World

Post by Ghost World »

RoboticMonk3y wrote:
NokkonWud wrote:
RoboticMonk3y wrote:Burnout series?
As the biggest racing game fan on the team and someone who has out extensive time in on all 5 Burnout games so far it's one I'd like to do, you could probably do 1-4 on one show and Paradise on its own (even if the best of them all is Revenge.)
whoa whoa whoa
You think Revenge is the best?
I think Revenge was a really sad departure from what I'd enjoyed so much about the Burnout series, there was no need to try and dodge between traffic any more, you just brush all the cars out of the way weightlessly.
I think I enjoyed 2 the most, as it had the greatest risk/reward feel for swerving through traffic. 4 (revenge) was just hold down the accelerator and not let go until you cross the line.
I would love a re-make of 1 and 2 on current gen consoles, I wouldn't even mind if the graphics weren't tidied up.

Paradise got back more to the feel of 1 and 2, but was still more of a game in it's own right.
I agree with Karl on this one, Burnout Revenge is without question the best in the series, It may well have been just hold down the accelerator and off you go but boy what a thrill it gave with all the carnage and explosions going off around you which was a feeling that was sadly lost from Burnout Paradise IMO!
Ghost World

Post by Ghost World »

NokkonWud wrote:I'd love to do a Soul Reaver show. Would be more than happy to see that added.

I believe they've all been added to GOG recently too, which is fuelling rumours of a new release.
Count me in for a Soul Reaver show, Loved those games back in the day but I do fear they may not have stood up to the test of time!
PressEscToExit

Post by PressEscToExit »

A few ideas:

The Longest Journey and Dreamfall
Little King's Story
Kid Icarus Uprising
The World Ends With You (probably a bit difficult to get hold of, I suppose)
Condemned 1 and 2

Really looking forward to hearing Pikmin and Metroid Prime shows if/when they happen, huge fan of both series.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

The Longest Journey and Dreamfall
Already on the list.
Little King's Story
personally I'd love to do this one, but currently the game is 'greyed out' due to lack of uptake among the team.
Kid Icarus Uprising
Argh the hand-cramps! Love the sound of the game, hate the sound of the controls. Dezm0nd has played it. I'll add it to the spreadsheet.
The World Ends With You (probably a bit difficult to get hold of, I suppose)
Josh & I both recently bought US copies (and it turns out pirate ones, albeit fully working) from eBay. However GameBurst have just done this with Josh as guest so we won't be doing it any time soon. Subscribe to GameBurst Replay as well as us! :D
Condemned 1 and 2
Never been discussed. I will add these to the list.
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

Good luck with the MGS4 tonight guys hope you've had good meal beforehand.......
Ghost World

Post by Ghost World »

PressEscToExit wrote:A few ideas:

Condemned 1 and 2
I loved the first game but I had a strange adverse reaction to Condemned 2, The gameplay was solid enough but the character and the environment had a overbearing presence to it, I felt uncomfortable and even sick when I picked up the joypad to re-enter it's bleak and repressive world, unsurprisingly this resulted in me putting the game aside for well over a year before coming back to see the end credits roll.

You could of course argue that Monolith achieved there goal perfectly but it's certainly not a game I'm going to be rushing back to play anytime soon
PressEscToExit

Post by PressEscToExit »

Ghost World wrote:
PressEscToExit wrote:A few ideas:

Condemned 1 and 2
I loved the first game but I had a strange adverse reaction to Condemned 2, The gameplay was solid enough but the character and the environment had a overbearing presence to it, I felt uncomfortable and even sick when I picked up the joypad to re-enter it's bleak and repressive world, unsurprisingly this resulted in me putting the game aside for well over a year before coming back to see the end credits roll.

You could of course argue that Monolith achieved there goal perfectly but it's certainly not a game I'm going to be rushing back to play anytime soon
I had much the same response to the second game.

Although they can both be intensely uncomfortable games to play, the original manages to stay exciting and compelling while 2 just sort of grinds you down with that misanthropic gloom. It's quite an interesting example of the whole "dark" sequel route in that the first game was already pretty grim, and by removing any sense of hope from the central character and his world early into the game it becomes pretty hard to engage with any of it, and you end up with something significantly less scary and pretty much zero fun.

Silly supernatural elements aside, the series had huge potential and it's a bit of shame they took it in the direction they did.
Dante Fireseed

Post by Dante Fireseed »

Trine
Red Faction: Guerilla
Mirrors Edge
NokkonWud

Post by NokkonWud »

Dante Fireseed wrote:Trine
Not sure what the desire is within the team, could do a Trine and Trine 2 show.
Dante Fireseed wrote:Red Faction: Guerilla
I would personally rather do a show on Armageddon but I understand Guerilla was more popular and has a more cult following.
Dante Fireseed wrote:Mirrors Edge
Already scheduled to be recorded and will be out first week of October.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Trine
1 & 2 together is on the list, but as yet not many of us have finished either title.
Red Faction: Guerilla
Well, it's the only one of the series I could imagine wanting to play.
Mirrors Edge
First show of Volume Two.
Dante Fireseed

Post by Dante Fireseed »

Great to hear about a Mirrors Edge show, I'll be interested to hear what you all thought of it, as I love that game, but can't really put my hand on why! I think something about the aesthetic just really resonated with me.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

I'm not on that show, however some people who really like the game very much are. I wasn't bowled over by it at all.
ryan_astley

Post by ryan_astley »

Hi guys, first post on your lovely new forum :)

Could I put forward the Epic Mickey games?
Great to cover the imagination and art direction while following the intricate design philosophy of mr Spector, also discussing what the sequel has improved and developed upon by going multiplatform and added co-op play. Plus the 3DS release which is heavily inspired by the old Sega Mickey games.
mik

Post by mik »

LittleBigPlanet series

LBP
LBP 2
LBP PSP
LBP Vita
LBP Karting

Please? :D
Marcface

Post by Marcface »

VVVVVV obviously. It's the bestest game.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Epic Mickey
Could be interesting to play the - by all accounts - 'flawed' original.
I'm hopeful for the sequel (especially as we know you're working on making it pretty, Ryan) and the 3DS incarnation. We wouldn't cover it until it had been out for a couple of months (that's our rule) but perhaps we can have you on the show if and when we do. Can you get Warren for us too though, please?
;)
LittleBigPlanet
We all adore SackBoy as much as we have serious reservations about LBP as a game. We've discussed covering these several times but we feel we'd want a guest who has created some brilliant levels with the software, because none of us have. It would be a shame to judge the game solely as a, to be frank, rather annoying platformer - albeit one with amazing graphics and music. Always under consideration, rest assured.
NokkonWud

Post by NokkonWud »

mik wrote:LittleBigPlanet series

LBP
LBP 2
LBP PSP
LBP Vita
LBP Karting

Please? :D
I would love to do a show on LBP and LBP2. Not really in a position myself to do the others but, as Leon says, the best part of the game is beyond what many of us can do, a guest would be great.

There's a lot to comment on regarding the actual game part of LBP though and, if it goes ahead it would be wonderful to be part of that.