Game suggestions for the podcast

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
duskvstweak

Re: Game suggestions for the podcast

Post by duskvstweak »

I was wondering, since you're covering the Ghosts 'n Goblins, Ghouls 'n Ghosts series, if you had plans to tackle Maximo: Ghosts to Glory? I'd probably have to admit it's not a big headliner but it was real gem back on the PS2.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Both of the Maximo games are on the list, as are the Tombi/Tomba games (also spiritual successors in some ways, from the same creator).
Bullus

Post by Bullus »

I think I may have already nominated the Myth series (The Fallen Lords and Soulblighter more than the third game) of games via Twitter but if I didn't and only thought I did then I'll throw them in here instead. Not sure how enthused the team would be to play a fairly ancient RTS but I know I loved it back in the day. They were very unforgiving games in their first iteration but I think the developers softened the difficulty in subsequent patches and releases.

Found the story and journal component rather engaging.
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

I had Die Hard Trilogy pop into my head. You don't really get that kind of genre mash-up these days outside of games where variety is the MO, like Warioware or Rhythm Heaven.
Suits

Post by Suits »

Stanshall wrote: September 2nd, 2018, 9:40 pm I had Die Hard Trilogy pop into my head. You don't really get that kind of genre mash-up these days outside of games where variety is the MO, like Warioware or Rhythm Heaven.
Man, I loved and hated that game :lol: .
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

I only really played the ace shooty section, slowly sweeping through a mall riddling the whole damn places with bullets and blowing it up. That's how I feel almost every time I go to any mall, funnily enough.

Strange game but I had a blast at the time, having never seen any of the films!
Suits

Post by Suits »

I remember spending the most time with top down car park GTA style game.

I think that was the second film.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

Nah, the second film was the on-rails shooter (that supported to ps1 mouse, if you had it). Third film was a driving game mostly, and I was hopeless at it. Most of the meat went to the first game top down shooter, these days you’d make it a twin stick, but of course the ps1 didn’t have one of those yet.

First level of game two has one of the all time great bits of game music though, has it been on sound of play?

Suits

Post by Suits »

Ah, that's right, you had to work your way up or down the building floors - like the first film.

I bet that shooter was a lot easier with the mouse too.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

The lightgun section also supported some third party lightgun peripherals too if I recall correctly, not Namco’s G-Con though I don’t think.

The Saturn conversion did support the Virtua Gun however, if memory serves.
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

Unlikely to ever get many volunteers, and arguably redundant as a video game, but Pinball Dreams & Illusions were massive favourites back in the Amiga days.
Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

Stanshall wrote: September 4th, 2018, 7:18 pm Unlikely to ever get many volunteers, and arguably redundant as a video game, but Pinball Dreams & Illusions were massive favourites back in the Amiga days.
They were fantastic. I suspect they aren’t quite as amazing as I remember but would be a great excuse to go back
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Did you ever play Psycho Pinball on the Megadrive? I always considered that a spiritual successor of those games, it was brilliant!
Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

Alex79uk wrote: September 5th, 2018, 1:15 pm Did you ever play Psycho Pinball on the Megadrive? I always considered that a spiritual successor of those games, it was brilliant!
No I haven’t. I’m not sure how I would play it unless it’s on a mega drive collection (or via emulation)

Pinball special?
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

That would be a LOT to cover (Pinball Arcade and Pinball FX have a couple of hundred tables between them), and I don’t think we have any real life pinball afficionados among us.

I’ve enjoyed a lot of pinball videogames over the years though.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

In my dream arcade that I own in the future version of my life where I've suddenly become a millionaire, I'd get all the classic pinball tables. You just don't see them any more, but as a kid I've got so many good memories of standing on chairs in pubs playing them. Not sure what that says about my upbringing, but still.
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

I don't know where you're based exactly, Alex, but Arcade Club in Bury has at least one full room of classic pinball tables. Supposedly, they're a mix of the big names and aficionado's choice. I'm no connoisseur myself but I love a good bash for half an hour whenever I drop in there.
Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

ratsoalbion wrote: September 5th, 2018, 8:17 pm That would be a LOT to cover (Pinball Arcade and Pinball FX have a couple of hundred tables between them), and I don’t think we have any real life pinball afficionados among us.

I’ve enjoyed a lot of pinball videogames over the years though.
I know. Maybe an era perhaps? It’s not necessarily something for the afficionados but for those with some affection for the genre.

Just a thought.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

Even just saying ‘pinball games on 16 bit machines’ you need to also factor in Devil Crash and it’s sequels... (and sonic spinball, and no one wants that)
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Crüeball...