Game suggestions for the podcast

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
ratsoalbion
Admin

Re: Game suggestions for the podcast

Post by ratsoalbion »

Driver's already on the list. And we did cover Driver: SF which contains a little look back at the series.

Not sure how much enthusiasm there will be among the team to revisit/complete the earlier games!
Truk_Kurt

Post by Truk_Kurt »

That's fair enough, I don't imagine the first two have aged well.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

As always though, I've added the rest of the series to the list on your suggestion, so I can gauge the response from the gang.
Seph

Post by Seph »

Has 428: Shibuya Scramble ever been suggested? I'm playing through it at the moment and I was curious to see if it had ever come up. Granted there's not much actual "game" to talk about, but it's a fun experience. I guess visual novels in general are hard to cover as the vast majority of the discussion is about story, which can be alienating to those who haven't played them.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Nope, I'll add it to the list.
Seph

Post by Seph »

I was in the middle of writing a post for the PS3 special and Spec Ops: The Line is one game I think is sometimes overlooked. Do you have that on the list? It's one of the most interesting games of that generation and a favourite of mine. Plenty to discuss there, too.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Volume Two, Issue 67:
https://caneandrinse.com/spec-ops-the-line/

Probably worth checking if we've done a show already before posting suggestions on this thread, folks!
:D

I'll be honest though, after nearly a decade I sometimes forget which shows we have and haven't done myself.
Seph

Post by Seph »

Huh, I searched the website as my feed doesn't have all the episodes on it and nothing came up. I just tried it now and it worked, I guess I must have spelt it wrong or something...

Thanks for that though, I'll download and check it out!
JadePhoenix

Post by JadePhoenix »

I realize it's a long shot, but I'd love to hear Dragon Quest get the same treatment that you gave Final Fantasy. They're probably already on the list, but I don't see anything in this thread, so I'll ask anyway. Failing that, just covering DQ3 or the original trilogy in light of the upcoming Octopath-style remake would be pretty cool.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

As you correctly assumed, the series is on the list.
ThirdDrawing

Post by ThirdDrawing »

Seph wrote: May 28th, 2021, 11:35 am Has 428: Shibuya Scramble ever been suggested? I'm playing through it at the moment and I was curious to see if it had ever come up. Granted there's not much actual "game" to talk about, but it's a fun experience. I guess visual novels in general are hard to cover as the vast majority of the discussion is about story, which can be alienating to those who haven't played them.
428 is a great suggestion and I really enjoyed it.

I'm curious how much of a fan in general the hosts are for this type of game.

I could guess maybe Leah (am I spelling that right?) is but not sure about everyone else.
seansthomas

Post by seansthomas »

I'm sure it's on the long list (and that if I went 6 pages back I might find it), but would love to hear you all discuss the awesome Titanfall 2 campaign and incredible Attrition multiplayer mode.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

It is on the list, as you predicted.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Is recent-ish Soulsalike, Ashen, on the list? :)
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

It is.
Spicy Papaya

Post by Spicy Papaya »

Please with a capital P consider doing a Bokujō Monogatari (aka Harvest Moon, later Story of Seasons) retrospective. The SNES original was briefly mentioned in the SNES console special, and it whetted my appetite for more. This is one of my all-time favourite franchises, and the original really kick-started my interest in emulation (think late 90s, Britney is free, dialling up with AOL, and discovering sites like Vimm's Lair and Zophar's Domain). I've played umpteen games in the series and if you pace yourself the formula never gets old. The series paved the way for Stardew Valley and subsequent countless farming/fishing/foraging clones, but my heart will always be with the OG. I adored the Game Boy versions too--fantastic pick-up-and-play additions that streamlined the experience, and I've always appreciated the quirky and distinctively Japanese characters that contrast nicely with Stardew's very Western (and enjoyable) take on the romance and farm-em-up genre.

Some feel the formula was perfected with Friends of Mineral Town, but I'd argue the recent-ish remaster on Switch proves otherwise, and that with modern touches there is a lot of potential for the franchise going forward. I've yet to play Olive Town as I await further bug fixes and QoL improvements, but I still find myself going back to the classics. Chores suck but these games make chores fun.

Somewhere out there in the internet ether is my old Geocities HM fan site...
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

I will happily add some Harvest Moon games to the list (maybe not all of them), but fair warning that I don't believe we have a great deal of experience of actually playing them.
TheEmailer

Post by TheEmailer »

Listening to the SEGA rally pod. Makes me think a combined Gran Turismo 1 & 2 would make a great show. Not sure what the team's enthusiasm would be for it, of course. Could have a special guest, Eurogamer's Martin Robinson is the car game reviewer, or Mike Channel from Outside Xbox.

I'm not even a big fan of the series, always bugged out once the cars got too powerful and hard to handle (hello Dodge Viper).
TheEmailer

Post by TheEmailer »

ratsoalbion wrote: May 26th, 2021, 12:38 pm Driver's already on the list. And we did cover Driver: SF which contains a little look back at the series.

Not sure how much enthusiasm there will be among the team to revisit/complete the earlier games!
Yeah the first two are hard to go back, having recently died.

Driv3r was not great at the time. Was very hard. Remember being stuck on a chase mission where you started on foot and ran to your car. But then I tried shooting your target as she drove past, after ten attempts it worked. Phew
Truk_Kurt

Post by Truk_Kurt »

TheEmailer wrote: July 20th, 2021, 10:54 am
ratsoalbion wrote: May 26th, 2021, 12:38 pm Driver's already on the list. And we did cover Driver: SF which contains a little look back at the series.

Yeah the first two are hard to go back, having recently died.

Driv3r was not great at the time. Was very hard. Remember being stuck on a chase mission where you started on foot and ran to your car. But then I tried shooting your target as she drove past, after ten attempts it worked. Phew
That would be Chase Catalita, I wish I had tried that as it took me many months to do that mission!