Game suggestions for the podcast

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future.
KissMammal

Re: Game suggestions for the podcast

Post by KissMammal » March 18th, 2019, 5:01 pm

Brothers In Arms series?

I think the series eventually ended up going off the rails, but I really liked the original Road to Hill 30 on Xbox. I much preferred its relatively sedate and restrained take on the WWII shooter genre over the likes of Call of Duty and Medal of Honor, which always seemed so over the top and bombastic, and never felt remotely realistic as you always felt like you were playing a one man army. BiA struck a good balance between fun and realism, with more emphasis on using tactics and simple squad mechanics. Imo FPS shooters tend to place too much emphasis on empowering the player when I think they could do more interesting things when making the player feel vulnerable.

ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion » March 18th, 2019, 7:25 pm

Road to Hill 30 is already on the list. Bear in mind it’s taken us seven years to do one Medal of Honor and one Call of Duty though...
😆

Alex79uk

Post by Alex79uk » March 21st, 2019, 6:20 pm

CoD 4: Modern Warfare
South Park The Stick Of Truth
The Cave
Grand Theft Auto (PS1)
XIII

(I imagine they're all already on the never ending list!)

ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion » March 21st, 2019, 7:52 pm

Unsurprisingly those are indeed already on there.

Caligulas Horse

Post by Caligulas Horse » March 29th, 2019, 2:36 pm

Quite a long thread and I'm new here so sorry if I suggest things that have been mentioned a million times.

I'd really like to hear you guys discuss the original Red Faction on PS2. I think this game gets a bit overlooked, it had an interesting story that felt really different from most console shooters at the time and the Geo-Mod tech was completely unique, I mean I think it was, it blew my mind back then either way.

The other game I'd like to see on there would be Timesplitters 2 or Future Perfect because they were awesome!

I would also say Sam & Max or Day of The Tentacle but I'm sure they've already come up many times.

ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion » March 29th, 2019, 3:39 pm

All the above already on the list.
👍🏻

Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth » March 29th, 2019, 8:49 pm

Caligulas Horse wrote:
March 29th, 2019, 2:36 pm
Quite a long thread and I'm new here so sorry if I suggest things that have been mentioned a million times.

I'd really like to hear you guys discuss the original Red Faction on PS2. I think this game gets a bit overlooked, it had an interesting story that felt really different from most console shooters at the time and the Geo-Mod tech was completely unique, I mean I think it was, it blew my mind back then either way.

The other game I'd like to see on there would be Timesplitters 2 or Future Perfect because they were awesome!

I would also say Sam & Max or Day of The Tentacle but I'm sure they've already come up many times.
All excellent excellent suggestions!

Bakers_12

Post by Bakers_12 » March 31st, 2019, 4:00 am

Mario+Rabbids Kingdom battle could be an interesting to descus with the merging of two franchises and how successful if at all it manages to pull it off and the fact it’s a non Nintendo Mario game

ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion » March 31st, 2019, 7:35 am

It’s already on the big list.
👍🏻

MajorGamer

Post by MajorGamer » April 15th, 2019, 5:38 am

After listening to the Super Ghouls 'n Ghost podcast, one game came to mind and it hasn't been mentioned in this topic. Volgarr the Viking. It is definitely inspired by it with its controls and to get the good ending you have to 1CC it but it presents a very fair challenge.

ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion » April 15th, 2019, 6:12 am

Volgarr does indeed share some things in common with GnG, it’s actually an almost 1:1 clone of a different coin-op, Taito’s Rastan:

Rastan arrived after the original Ghosts ‘n Goblins so it may very well have taken some inspiration. Either way, both games are on the list for a potential 2 in 1 podcast.

Alex79uk

Post by Alex79uk » April 16th, 2019, 6:35 am

Sim City on the SNES. Probably still the best version of that game, it's just so good.

Suits

Post by Suits » April 16th, 2019, 12:59 pm

Alex79uk wrote:
April 16th, 2019, 6:35 am
Sim City on the SNES. Probably still the best version of that game, it's just so good.
This.

I love that game, the music, the seasonal graphics the massive grant cheat, Bowser abs the scenarios.

Very fond memories.

Awful to go back to.

ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion » April 16th, 2019, 1:32 pm

All the Sim City games are on the list, and whether we did a show on the series or a series of shows, of course the SNES version would be part of the conversation.

Bullus

Post by Bullus » April 17th, 2019, 8:17 am

Although I can't imagine these would be too popular with the team I wonder if anyone has nominated any of the total war games?

I both loved and hated Medieval Total War 2 - sunk what felt like weeks into it. Starting over more times than I care to admit. When I finally beat the preset conditions I uninstalled the game and gave it away.

Brilliant and infuriating.

ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion » April 17th, 2019, 8:48 am

I have a friend who is a big fan, but not sure that anyone among the podcast crew plays this series - I will add the rest of them (three titles already down) to the spreadsheet to find out though!

Bullus

Post by Bullus » April 17th, 2019, 9:18 am

It would be interesting if there were to be such an episode if each member of the panel used their country as their starting position. Some are much harder to play than others.

Alex79uk

Post by Alex79uk » April 17th, 2019, 2:14 pm

Suits wrote:
April 16th, 2019, 12:59 pm
Alex79uk wrote:
April 16th, 2019, 6:35 am
This.

I love that game, the music, the seasonal graphics the massive grant cheat, Bowser abs the scenarios.

Very fond memories.

Awful to go back to.
Do you think? I played it for a few hours on my brothers SNES last year and still loved it. Its aged a lot better than Sim City 2000 on the same console, I think.

Suits

Post by Suits » April 17th, 2019, 2:59 pm

Alex79uk wrote:
April 17th, 2019, 2:14 pm
Do you think? I played it for a few hours on my brothers SNES last year and still loved it. Its aged a lot better than Sim City 2000 on the same console, I think.
I went back to it a few years back and thought the UI and controls were awful - I’m confidant it was my own super high expectations and memories of it from when I was a child but I remember feeling sad about it.

I could also swear it was super detailed but looking at it now it’s very simple.

I do still love it though 😄.

Kez86

Post by Kez86 » May 13th, 2019, 12:45 pm

Would love to see a Timesplitters series. Especially with the fan development of Timesplitters: Rewind in the works. Great party game with a huge character roster, enjoyable single player and a game for completionists with multiple game modes.

Anyone who chose Robofish... :cry: