Game suggestions for the podcast

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Re: Game suggestions for the podcast

Post by ratsoalbion » May 13th, 2019, 12:59 pm

The TimeSplitters games are all already on the long list.

BrightNite

Post by BrightNite » May 14th, 2019, 6:02 pm

Are there any plans to do the PS2 Ratchet and Clank games? Also Hotel Dusk, Another Code, or Zero Escape: Virtues Last Reward or Zero Time Dilemma. Apologies if these have already been mentioned, I went through the previous posts but I did skip a few pages as there are so many!

ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion » May 14th, 2019, 6:24 pm

No worries. All of those you mention are already on the list.

Kez86

Post by Kez86 » May 15th, 2019, 8:09 am

Apologies if already added to the list but this was a cult classic from my youth. Chase The Express

Not sure how this one popped into my mind and I know no one else who ever played or owned this game. I remember playing this game and enjoying it greatly during my infatuation of games such as Resident Evil 1, 2 and Nemesis as well as the brilliant Dino Crisis. A 3rd Person Shooter with some kind of stealth mechanic.

Essentially a game version of 'Under Siege 2'.

ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion » May 15th, 2019, 10:22 am

Added!

FemalePheromones

Post by FemalePheromones » May 15th, 2019, 1:56 pm

How about JumpJet Rex?

I've been playing it on Game Pass and would love to see if it stresses anyone else out as much as it does me.

Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth » May 15th, 2019, 4:58 pm

Kez86 wrote:
May 15th, 2019, 8:09 am
Apologies if already added to the list but this was a cult classic from my youth. Chase The Express

Not sure how this one popped into my mind and I know no one else who ever played or owned this game. I remember playing this game and enjoying it greatly during my infatuation of games such as Resident Evil 1, 2 and Nemesis as well as the brilliant Dino Crisis. A 3rd Person Shooter with some kind of stealth mechanic.

Essentially a game version of 'Under Siege 2'.

Haha I remember this! At the time I thought it was brilliant. I’ve got a feeling I won’t be as keen now but a great suggestion nonetheless.

ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion » May 15th, 2019, 7:16 pm

FemalePheromones wrote:
May 15th, 2019, 1:56 pm
JumpJet Rex?
Added.

Jobobonobo

Post by Jobobonobo » May 28th, 2019, 6:50 pm

One I just thought of that would make a really fascinating episode is Night in the Woods. I absolutely loved this when i played it last year and thought its characters were ironically the most human that I have ever encountered in a videogame. Not to mention, the political themes it deals with are sadly all too relevant these days and would make for some very interesting conversation.

ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion » May 28th, 2019, 7:38 pm

It is (unsurprisingly) on the list.

FemalePheromones

Post by FemalePheromones » June 6th, 2019, 6:13 pm

Is We Happy Few on there? I tried to search but apparently the words are too common to be searched.

I tried playing it this week but got bored after about 2 hours because of its slow pace but I would definitely listen to you guys talk about it and see what you all think.

Alex79uk

Post by Alex79uk » June 6th, 2019, 6:48 pm

Rockstar Ate My Hamster! One of my favorite games on my old Amstrad. It popped in to my mind again when you mentioned the Amiga show. It was such a fun game, although I fear returning to it now may well open a huge can of politically incorrect worms. Loved it back then, though. Only ever managed to beat it once.

KissMammal

Post by KissMammal » June 6th, 2019, 8:20 pm

Jobobonobo wrote:
May 28th, 2019, 6:50 pm
One I just thought of that would make a really fascinating episode is Night in the Woods. I absolutely loved this when i played it last year and thought its characters were ironically the most human that I have ever encountered in a videogame. Not to mention, the political themes it deals with are sadly all too relevant these days and would make for some very interesting conversation.
I so wanted to like Night in the Woods - the music, art and writing are all incredible. I just wish it had more in the way of actual, you know, gameplay. Some platforming, some point and click styles puzzles... anything to get my teeth into. I know there are those that disagree, but I'm firmly of the opinion that unless a game has some level of of challenge or element of interactivity beyond simply navigating an environment, I just don't see the point and I'd honestly rather you had just made a short animation instead.

ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion » June 6th, 2019, 8:36 pm

Alex79uk wrote:
June 6th, 2019, 6:48 pm
Rockstar Ate My Hamster!
Added.

duskvstweak

Post by duskvstweak » June 7th, 2019, 4:07 pm

This isn't so much a suggestion, as a question.
With World of Warcraft Classic being released, what are the chances that version might get a C&R episode, or would you still feel like you needed to do the whole series of expansions?

ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion » June 7th, 2019, 5:00 pm

It’s not inconceivable that we could do a show on just the earliest incarnation(s). In Tony, Darren and Chris we have three people who spent thousands of hours back in the mid-late 2000s.

If they’re keen to do that show I wouldn’t object.

Jobobonobo

Post by Jobobonobo » June 7th, 2019, 7:42 pm

KissMammal wrote:
June 6th, 2019, 8:20 pm
I so wanted to like Night in the Woods - the music, art and writing are all incredible. I just wish it had more in the way of actual, you know, gameplay. Some platforming, some point and click styles puzzles... anything to get my teeth into. I know there are those that disagree, but I'm firmly of the opinion that unless a game has some level of of challenge or element of interactivity beyond simply navigating an environment, I just don't see the point and I'd honestly rather you had just made a short animation instead.
That never bothered me at all with this game, I think the (mostly) laid back gameplay of hanging out with your friends and choosing dialogue choices was honestly enough to pull me in. The writing was so good that I would replay certain sections just to see what characters would say. Building a robot, shoplifting pretzels to feed a family of rats, looking for constellations through your neighbour's telescope, it was these mundane little things that made this town feel alive to me. Not to mention during the more awkward social moments, trying to choose something that would not put your foot too far into your mouth was almost like this game's boss battles! Whenever I messed up, I would feel like an idiot and would want to patch things up with my friends or family asap. It is these moments of social anxiety that made this suited to be a game, just reading or watching it would not feel the same way to me.

Also, when you unlock Demontower that could be a fun little time waster if you wanted a break from life in Possum Springs. However, a game with this kind of visuals and writing that had point and click elements/platforming? I definitely would be all up for that! Hope Scott Benson is working on something like that currently or in the future.

KissMammal

Post by KissMammal » June 11th, 2019, 12:13 am

Fair enough, each to their own. For me it's the same reason I could never get on with any of the Telltale games. For me they were like playing an old point and click game with all the puzzles (ie the actual meat of the game) taken out.

denysarr

Post by denysarr » July 9th, 2019, 11:43 am

Noticed that JRPGs get quite a bit of air time on the podcast! (Not that I'm complaining!) Josh and Leah seem particularly big fans of the genre. Was wondering whether any of the staff have tried The Legend of Heroes series, by Falcom? Specifically, the Trails in the Sky trilogy and Trails of Cold Steel I and II (III is coming out this September in the West). Jason Schreier from Kotaku has sung its praises many times and wrote about it here back in 2016: https://kotaku.com/how-to-get-into-trai ... 1786275078

Would love to see it covered on C&R at some point, if it's not already on the list, since it's somewhat of a niche series (with a very small but passionate following) and doesn't get much mention in the mainstream media!

ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion » July 9th, 2019, 12:33 pm

The Trails of Cold Steel games are already on the list. Leah has played them but she’s the only one from the team as far as we can tell, though Charlotte and I have expressed interest in them.