Nintendo 2DS

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
chase210

Nintendo 2DS

Post by chase210 »

Essentially a cheap 3DS with no 3D. Hate the design, love the idea.
magicjoef

Re: Nintendo 2DS

Post by magicjoef »

Doesn't fold? Someone got paid to design that!
NokkonWud

Post by NokkonWud »

They took the little design concepts I absolutely loved from the Nintendo 3/DS and threw them out the window to create a monolith of a device. I've never really enjoyed this sort of shape, reminds me somewhat of the old Atari Jaguar controller in it's awkwardness of design.

Ironically I get the impression it's meant for kids, yet it's huge and less likely to fit in a schoolbag than a DS or 3DS.
Also, who was asking for this? In all the years I've been on social media and following the industry, I've never seen one person say "What I'd love is something like the DS, but with both screens on one solid, large, unhinged tablet like format."
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

I'm fairly confident the redesign, whilst not great, is an attempt to stop kids getting hold of the regular 3DS' and snapping the hinges off. The amount of times I've seen or heard that happen is staggering.

It looks like a toy, which is exactly what Nintendo set out to do and with it being cheaper and launching on the same day as Pokémon X & Y I am sure this'll be a Christmas hit.
magicjoef

Post by magicjoef »

Closing and opening the DS is such a satisfying thing to do. Pop it shut, chuck it in your bag, open it up to resume. It makes you wonder about the consumer focus groups they must have held for this! People will say anything for a free cup of tea and a biscuit won't they!
Cass

Post by Cass »

I am exactly the target audience for this. Love the 3DS, but the XL is way too expensive at the moment, and I'd never use the 3D.

It'd take me actually getting my hands on one, but I wouldn't hate it if the handheld were less top-heavy.
Scrustle

Post by Scrustle »

This seems kind of weird to me. You often hear people saying how they'd like a cheaper, 2D 3DS, but I don't think anyone ever expected it to actually happen. The 3D is supposed to be the defining characteristic of the system, right?

On the topic of the target audience for this, Nintendo have been quite open with the fact that it's for kids, which is understandable. Although I think the lack of 3D is more down to lowering the price and answering demand than actually making it more appropriate for children.

I like the idea of this though. But I don't like the actual design. I would actually be really interested in a cheaper, 2D 3DS, but not one like this. I would want one with a bigger screen and clamshell design. A 2DS XL, if you will.
Beck

Post by Beck »

2ds is ideal for me, well if it folded. I have one eye weaker than other and whilst I can see 3d, I'm left with terrible headaches after 5 minutes. (thank god the 3d craze is dying out)

Unfortunately the 2ds looks to lose all the resilience of the 3ds design. I like that the 3ds folds, it keeps the screens safe whilst I carry it around. Even though they have been kept in cases, all my ds consoles have ended up scratched. That alone is enough to put me off this.
chase210

Post by chase210 »

You have to wonder, that really doesn't seem very portable. Wouldn't fit in even a big pocket like my XL does.
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

I hear Nintendo are releasing a Wii U without the gamepad to make it cheaper and more accessible. It's called a Wii...

TAXI!
Doggett

Post by Doggett »

Isnt a 2D 3DS just called a DS?
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

No, the internal architecture of the 3DS is significantly advanced compared to the old DS or DSi.
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

It's basically a more robust, non-hinged 3DS minus the 3D feature so probably quite cost-effective. Not something I'd ever be in the market for but I bet it will sell bucketloads.
chase210

Post by chase210 »

I know for a fact I'l buy two of these. So good job nintendo.
PlexShaw

Post by PlexShaw »

If only there was a simple way to disable the 3D completely in a normal 3DS/XL... Oh wait...
chase210

Post by chase210 »

I reckon you'll be able to pick these up from the supermarkets for cheaper than the RRP even./ Budget handheld, kid proof, I'm buying one for my kid so.
PlexShaw

Post by PlexShaw »

I was referring to the people in this thread who said they want to play 3DS games only in 2D but don't like the design of the 2DS.
Beck

Post by Beck »

Claws out?

I upgraded from 3ds to a xl a few months ago. Had their been a cheaper model with the same screen size and resilience I would have bought that. No one is going to pay extra for features useless to them if given the option.

Of course I could turn the feature off, I'd rather not pay for it though. (frugal Scot)
PlexShaw

Post by PlexShaw »

I don't know that it necessarily adds much to the overall price, especially given that both variants of the 3DS have been out for a while now and can be had for much cheaper than the "standard" price

I also wouldn't want to discourage the 3D stuff in this case because the 3DS is the only 3D thing I've come across that I like. Indeed, some games are much harder for me to play without it (Pull/Fallblox, for example). And I speak as someone who has the 3D effect set to mild.
chase210

Post by chase210 »

I can't think of any game, with the possible exception of Mario 3D land that actually significantly utilises the 3D effect. I dunno, I kinda like the design, great idea, good price, thats me sold.