Nintendo 2DS

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
ratsoalbion
Admin

Re: Nintendo 2DS

Post by ratsoalbion »

The 3D effect literally does nothing for me so I have it permanently switched off, but I still play and enjoy all my 3DS games (including Pullblox and Super Mario 3D Land).
Buckled Kipper

Post by Buckled Kipper »

I don't like 3D in either my film watching or my gaming, but I'd still rather pay the extra for a 3DS and turn the slider down than own this god awful design.
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

Ultimately the cack design is down to cost saving from Nintendo's end but I'd like to think re-releasing it as a similar clam design would confuse matters even more.

The slightly naff design is for identity, I believe.
Buckled Kipper

Post by Buckled Kipper »

That would make sense. Think they could have come up with something better though.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

I'm not a fan of the design either but it's clearly aimed at kids.
Cass

Post by Cass »

dezm0nd wrote:Ultimately the cack design is down to cost saving from Nintendo's end but I'd like to think re-releasing it as a similar clam design would confuse matters even more.

The slightly naff design is for identity, I believe.
I'd say it's more to reduce the number of moving parts for younger kids to fuck around with. They've gone to great pains to reduce the number of fiddle-able switches on the outer shell to a bare minimum too.
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

Aye, the hinges are a massive problem when it comes to kids handling the system. Without really knowing, to push the screen too far back when raising the clam style design and when you inevitably drop it, they crack. Indestructible consoles were once Nintendo's talking point. You had to try real hard to break the Game Boy!
chase210

Post by chase210 »

I broke my GBA Sp back in the day, took a fair bit of work though.
I've bought my kid two DS's before and she broke them both, snapped the hinge both times, which is partly why I think its such a good idea.
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

Indeed. Those hinges aren't the best on any DS. I am very keen to handle one because the wedge design just looks uncomfortable.
chase210

Post by chase210 »

Well apparently its fine. But then again reviews are done with adults with big hands. How'll it go in a smaller childs hands is the question.
hazeredmist

Never mind 2DS - how about a 1DS?

Post by hazeredmist »

http://nintendo1ds.com/

(yes it's a spoof...)
ratsoalbion
Admin

Re: Never mind 2DS - how about a 1DS?

Post by ratsoalbion »

hazeredmist

Re: Never mind 2DS - how about a 1DS?

Post by hazeredmist »

ratsoalbion wrote:What's going on?
:?: :|

Oh I see: http://kotaku.com/i-kinda-wish-this-nin ... 1247547039
Sorry - I thought the comedy value alone warranted it's own thread... :lol: (check my small print)
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Ha ha, no worries. It's a decent mock-up but I've merged it just to save clutter like :)
NokkonWud

Post by NokkonWud »

I'd no doubt get a 3DS XL over a 2DS anyway. I'm still not entirely sold after Nintendaan's write-up regarding the 2DS (the more resistant, clicky d-pad and the triggers which are hard to tell are pressed don't sound great), but most of all, the screens are the same size as a standard 3DS, not the XL. If it had the XL size screens I'd probably pick one up.
flyingtortoise

Post by flyingtortoise »

The first thing I thought of was how awkward is looked - specifically around the shoulder buttons - they look quite a stretch.

Nintendo have definitely gone back to their roots with this - is it cheap? - Check -single screen split by a bezel keeps the cost down as does the removal of the 3d aspect. is it aimed at the younger market? Check . Is it simple in design? Check.

Hinges are useful for making it smaller and protecting the screen but are at risk themselves. One wonders if a slide mechanism ala the old HTC windows mobile 6.5 devices would have been a better option...