Edge - Top 10 Consoles

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
ratsoalbion
Admin

Re: Edge - Top 10 Consoles

Post by ratsoalbion »

hazeredmist wrote:Like them or loathe them, top ten lists (like review scores) serve an important purpose - generating interest and debate which is often interesting if it doesn't devolve into fanboyism. They shouldn't be dismissed entirely. Not that I'm suggesting C&R should adopt anything like this, it's not their style.
Of course, I mean, I've even written similar things for BT Games because they generate traffic.
Buckled Kipper

Post by Buckled Kipper »

Although I'm not having a dig at Leon (don't think for a minute that he was meaning to sound rude), the whole we don't do that sort of thing at C&R does tend to put me off this place a bit. There just fun lists that people like myself enjoy reading and writing. If things descend into fanboyism then that's something different and should rightly be stamped out, but I don't see that as being a problem on this site anyway.

Think I may take a break from here.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

I can understand that, and I did sound much sniffier than I intended. Better not to say anything really!
Did I mention I was having a bad week? ;)
Sorry!
NokkonWud

Post by NokkonWud »

I love a good list, me. Surprised the GameCube was so high up, but all in-all it's a fair list. Though Dreamcast will always have a soft spot in my heart. To me both that and the Nintendo 64 were far more personal to me than PS2.
Just goes to show how many great machines we've had.
Sinclair Gregstrum

Post by Sinclair Gregstrum »

The Gamecube stood out as an odd one for me as well. In the article they highlight titles such as Windwaker, Mario Sunshine and Luigi's Mansion as being the system's top titles, and while they all did interesting and things are very good games in the case of the first two they're not even in the top 5 in their respective series for me.

Couldn't agree more with your Dreamcast sentiment Nokkon - many happy memories for me there and as Leon said earlier the opening swirl still brings a smile to my face :)
NokkonWud

Post by NokkonWud »

Sinclair Gregstrum wrote:The Gamecube stood out as an odd one for me as well. In the article they highlight titles such as Windwaker, Mario Sunshine and Luigi's Mansion as being the system's top titles, and while they all did interesting and things are very good games in the case of the first two they're not even in the top 5 in their respective series for me.

Couldn't agree more with your Dreamcast sentiment Nokkon - many happy memories for me there and as Leon said earlier the opening swirl still brings a smile to my face :)
I loved the style of WindWaker but never finished it (always struggle with Zelda games to play them for any extended period of time) and understand its popularity, but I was utterly disappointed by Mario Sunshine!
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Another great thing about that is when you use an import enabler you get the NTSC orange swirl even on a PAL machine (I think the blue version is also nice btw).
8-)
NokkonWud

Post by NokkonWud »

ratsoalbion wrote:Another great thing about that is when you use an import enabler you get the NTSC orange swirl even on a PAL machine (I think the blue version is also nice btw).
8-)
Best thing about the Orange Swirl? Arsenal 99/00 shirts didn't have it on the front.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Didn't have the swirl at all in fact but the blue at least may have been visible, whereas the orange would have clashed horribly :mrgreen:

dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

I'm sure there was an Arsenal shirt with the swirl on. Away shirt, maybe?
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Just 'SEGA' on the away shirt I think. Look - baby Anelka!

Cass

Post by Cass »

I'm honestly surprised there's still so much love out there for the Xbox 360. I've had good times with mine, but as a console it's really not great. The interface is clunky as hell, the MS Points system is dodgy, and there's quite a lot of gubbins surrounding the media stuff that I've never found useful or workable. It's probably been a more important console than the PS3 for the majority of its life, but the PS3 is rather sailing away with it these days. Plus I've been through about 3 of them in terms of RROD.

Which is not to underestimate the impact of stuff like Halo, Gold, and the Live Arcade. But second best console ever? Naaaaah.
Sean

Post by Sean »

Any list that doesn't have SNES at the top needs to be deleted, and, the computer it was originally typed on needs to be shot into space.
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

I've really, really fallen out of love with my 360.

The new(est) UI is horrible, advert-laden and obtrusive to gaming. Finding games on XBLA is a chore, and the fact you have to be an Xbox Live Gold member to run applications such as Netflix, LoveFilm or Sky is just plain awful.

I much, much prefer my PS3 these days, while the XMB isn't perfect, all of the above are significantly better than the 360. PS Plus is also far superior to Xbox Live Gold for me, though perhaps this is in part due to my changing game habits which see me playing a lot more single player/offline than online (the reverse used to be the case,) so I no longer care about the party options that were admittedly excellent, and the free games are such a draw.

If it wasn't for my collection of XBLA games that I can't port elsewhere (even to an Xbox One!) I'd have sold it already. As it is, it's mainly used as a media player these days with the occasional blast on XBLA games.

(that really wasn't supposed to come across fanboyish by the way so hope nobody reads it that way... I've had both consoles for a long, long time now and the console of choice for me used to be the 360. This is just how recent times have gone with my own experiences)
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

I think a lot of people would echo that sentiment to be honest.
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

You're definitely not alone. Ever since I decided to knock Gold on the head, I've used the console much less.
Beck

Post by Beck »

I'm exactly the same. After subscribing to PSN Plus I ended up selling the 360 as it was just collecting dust. In fact, I've barely bought a game since PSN + activated :shock:
mikeleddy83

Post by mikeleddy83 »

Sean wrote:Any list that doesn't have SNES at the top needs to be deleted, and, the computer it was originally typed on needs to be shot into space.
I had some thoughts earlier about how I could make a list where the SNES wasn't at the top... my brain still hurts!
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

A lot of the ordering of a list like this comes from what criteria they're using to justify the positions. For example, if you were to make a list of 'most important' then I'd have a hard time arguing for any other number one than the original PlayStation, which changed the entire target market.
AndyKurosaki

Post by AndyKurosaki »

I'd struggle to put a list of 10 consoles myself, as each provides countless numbers of classics. The latest Retro Gamer has a "top 25 snes games", and apart from Earthbound and FF6, I played the lot :lol: