The Wolf Among Us

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
DomsBeard

The Wolf Among Us

Post by DomsBeard »

The Wolf Among Us is a five episode series from the creators of the 2012 Game of the Year: The Walking Dead. Based on Fables (DC Comics/Vertigo), an award-winning comic book series, it is an often violent, mature and hard-boiled thriller where the characters and creatures of myth, lore and legend are real and exist in our world.

As Bigby Wolf - THE big bad wolf in human form - you will discover that the brutal, bloody murder of a Fable is just a taste of things to come, in a game series where your every decision can have enormous consequences.

Your choices matter: it’s not only WHAT you choose to do that will affect how your story plays out, but WHEN you choose to do it
A mature and gritty take on characters from fairytales, legends and folklore who have escaped into our world. These are not the characters you’d see on a little child’s lunchbox.
Play as Bigby Wolf: formerly the most feared monster among the Fables, now Sheriff of Fabletown and protector of those he used to hunt. He must restrain the beast within if he is to earn the trust of those around him.
Choose Bigby’s actions carefully. Will you approach a situation calmly or unleash your inner rage? The way you act will determine how others respond to you.
Set before the events seen in the first issue of the comics – you don’t have to know the characters or the world to play!

Is anybody else picking this up tomorrow?. I'm very excited to get this, I know nothing about Fables so unlike The Walking Dead I wont be going in with prior knowledge. The What you choose and When sounds very interesting.
Skypotter1138

Re: The Wolf Among Us

Post by Skypotter1138 »

Definitely gonna be downloading this. I know nothing about the comic series either but my brother in law has read them so I may tap him up for some background this weekend.

Walking Dead was great so emotional and had genuinely good writing. Each episode was also the perfect length to complete in a single setting. Still not played 400 days might have to finish that off before playing as Bigby.

I thing telltale are doing some really interesting stuff at the moment. Anyone recommend any older stuff from them? I know JP is meant to be very poor, but what about BTTF?
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

BTTF is good but nowhere near TWD. I'd hold off 400 days till just before season 2 as I was disappointed with it and I wouldn't be surprised if they made it free before season 2 anyway.
Skypotter1138

Post by Skypotter1138 »

Already bought it just sat on my HD. But I might wait.
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

Skypotter1138 wrote:Already bought it just sat on my HD. But I might wait.
Oh, sorry ;) but to be fair many people really enjoyed 400 days so it might've just been me. It's very short (under 2 hours) so it wouldn't take you long to get through.
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

Downloading it now, it's buried in the arcade section.
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

Just finished it, very very good!. When you've finished it you can buy the season pass for £9.99 which will save you by my count about £3.60.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

I'm definitely interested, and I'll probably get it on Steam I think.
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

The worry I have about the PC version is that the save bug which plagued TWD could easily return but then the framerate issues which were in TWD on console put me off buying it there.

I'll just sit back and wait. It does look superb but i've got loads going. *levels up pokemons*
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Save bugs ain't good, but I believe the 360 and iOS versions of TWD had those too. I'm not buying another Telltale game on PS3 after the delays to episodes on PSN though. Hmmm.
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

What a predicament! :shock:
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

It slowed down or was janky in about three places. Very impressed with it overall it looks stunning and the way they've done QTEs is a step up from previous telltale stuff.
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

Someone needs to buy it so I can talk about decisions and stuff! :D
Skypotter1138

Post by Skypotter1138 »

Bought it this afternoon. But won't be able to play it until Saturday or Sunday evening. I'll jump on once I've finished it.
Todinho

Post by Todinho »

Just saw the intro part of the game it looks great the world looks as it should and Bigby sounds just like I thought it should I was kinda bummed that this is a prequel but it's probably for the best since the comic kinda derails after a awhile,man I wanna get it right now but I think I'll wait until all chapters are out them blast through them in a weekend.
Combine Hunter

Post by Combine Hunter »

Bought it, played episode 1. VERY impressed so far. I didn't experience any glitches or technical problems, but maybe I got lucky. It kind of feels like they stripped out all the things that didn't work in The Walking Dead and improved what did. Much more of a focus on exploration and dialogue, than adventure game puzzles. The writing and voice acting is really strong, and is helped by what I personally feel is a much stronger art direction.

I've never read the fables comics, but I didn't have any trouble figuring out what's going on. So, you can go into this one knowing nothing about this universe and be fine.
Spoiler: show
Colin the Pig is brilliant.
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

I've been mulling over some of my decisions over night and I've regretted several now even if at the time they made perfect sense which never happened with TWD.
Spoiler: show
I went to Toad first instead of Lawrence as I was concerned about him yet I decided to smack him about when I knew he was lying. Really felt bad when his son game out and it popped up "he's now afraid of the big bad wolf" and then it had been him that'd been hit before.

Even though it felt fantastic at the time I regret ripping Grens arm off, I felt like I needed to show my dominance but now think I should've left him. I went after Dee/Dum instead of the Woodsman which I regretted the second I did it.

Gutted Snows dead but realise that they gave you an attachment to her to make you lose the plot in episode 2 possibly? I'm going to try be more calm! ;)
Don't wait for the series, part of the excitement with these games for me is the wait for each episode then knowing it's out. Plus you can't mull over each episode for too long either if you just blitz through them.
Combine Hunter

Post by Combine Hunter »

DomsBeard wrote: Don't wait for the series, part of the excitement with these games for me is the wait for each episode then knowing it's out. Plus you can't mull over each episode for too long either if you just blitz through them.
Agreed.
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

Downloading Episode One on the 360 as it works out cheaper to buy the first episode and then the season pass by about 4 quid when compared to Steam.
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

dezm0nd wrote:Downloading Episode One on the 360 as it works out cheaper to buy the first episode and then the season pass by about 4 quid when compared to Steam.
Yaay! :)

I've just noticed I've only locked 6 out of the 7 achievements though