The in-game photography thread

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
TomFum

Re: The GTAV photography thread

Post by TomFum »

Thanks admin :D
Scrustle

Post by Scrustle »

That's charming, Ratso. Way to lower the tone.

My shots aren't really that great so far. Mostly I've just been taking photos of my cars. But I've got a couple of interesting ones.

That one is from earlier this evening, actually. Some friends and I decided we would all drive up to the top of Mount Chiliad, and take selfies at the top before driving back down again at silly speeds.

And then I've just got some shots of a few of my cars.

Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Woah is that on 360? It looks way prettier than the PS3 version!?

I think Leon's is my favourite so far. Because I'm six.

Haha. :lol:
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Alex79uk wrote:Woah is that on 360? It looks way prettier than the PS3 version!?
There's very little tangible visual difference between the two versions as you can see in this screenshot comparison on Lens of Truth: http://www.lensoftruth.com/head2head-gr ... omparison/

Overall (as was also the finding of Digital Foundry: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digit ... 5-face-off) the PS3 version has slightly sharper textures but the 360 version has a slightly better frame-rate.

My pics seen to retain the 'liney' effect from the in-game phone screen though whereas others' shots don't.
Anyone got any idea what that's about?
Scrustle

Post by Scrustle »

If there is a difference in graphics it might be because of the way the 360 version streams off the disc and hard drive at the same time. Can't do that on the PS3, and I think the read speed on the PS3 disc tray is supposed to be slower than the 360 as well, if that makes a difference. From the screenshots it seems the difference in fidelity is insignificant. I can't see any in most of those shots. If there is a difference between the versions I would think it would be something more to do with performance. Pop-in and frame rate, etc. I have noticed quite a bit of pop-in and low frame rate on the 360 version in some instances.

And as for the scan lines on the photos, that's something I've noticed too. Only noticed a difference in them looking at my shots right now though. It might have something to do with what character you take the photos with, since they have different phones. That shot of the Audi-like car was taken from Michael's phone. All the ones below are from Franklin, apart from the white car, which was Trevor.

Those first three shots were taken online though, and there's no lines on those. Maybe that has something to do with it too.
NokkonWud

Post by NokkonWud »

ratsoalbion wrote:Overall (as was also the finding of Digital Foundry: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digit ... 5-face-off) the PS3 version has slightly sharper textures but the 360 version has a slightly better frame-rate.
That's interesting, because my biggest issue with the game is its frame rate :/.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

It's not problematic to me, and it's hardly surprising given the hardware, but it's noticeable at times. I'm not sure the extra 1-2 fps present in the 360 version would make any difference to my enjoyment any more than I'd be craving the marginally less blurry PS3 version if I'd bought the game on 360.

Either way, this is a game I'm almost certainly going to buy again on PC. Looking forward to seeing how astounding GTAV's world will look at 1920x1080 and 60fps.
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

I wonder how good it'll look next gen?. I'm presuming they'll announce them the same time as the PC version.
Ergo Me Smart

Post by Ergo Me Smart »

Scrustle wrote:Image
Is that.... a car flying through the air at a stupid height?!
mikeleddy83

Post by mikeleddy83 »

Mr. AshGuyver performing stunts on my bike down at the docks:

Grove Street gang wars:

Market Street:

Journey (Kifflom edition):
magicjoef

Post by magicjoef »

G'damn there's some great shots on this thread!
Scrustle

Post by Scrustle »

Ergo Me Smart wrote:Is that.... a car flying through the air at a stupid height?!
That's an Elegy going off the ramp near the airport. That isn't even the highest it went. About 2/3.
Roy42

Post by Roy42 »

Request to either merge this with the screenshots thread or make this a general videogame photography thread? More and more games are including ways to take pictures in-game, after all.
NokkonWud

Post by NokkonWud »

Roy42 wrote:Request to either merge this with the screenshots thread or make this a general videogame photography thread? More and more games are including ways to take pictures in-game, after all.
Yeah, I think you're right.
JaySevenZero
Admin

Re: The in-game photography thread

Post by JaySevenZero »

Roy42 wrote:Request to either merge this with the screenshots thread or make this a general videogame photography thread? More and more games are including ways to take pictures in-game, after all.
Good call, done! :)
Scrustle

Post by Scrustle »

I should have been sharing my adventures through WW HD here before!

Spoilers for big post, and actual spoilers too.
Spoiler: show
Roy42

Post by Roy42 »

I'd have been taking screenshots if I had a capture device that would do justice to them. WWHD looks absolutely amazing in every way.
Scrustle

Post by Scrustle »

In WW I'm not using a capture device. I'm just using the screenshot features already in the game and uploading them to Miiverse, then downloading them from the Miiverse website. Those are the largest shots I can get too.
Scrustle

Post by Scrustle »

I just came across this guy in GTA V. He's standing there pretending to be a zombie shouting "I am the undead! I serve no purpose!" before getting a call from his mother. Then he starts saying stuff about how it is a "real job" and how it's "post-modernism" and "about the proliferation of zombies in our modern culture". Apparently he's "The Vinewood Zombie".
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Nice Easter egg. I bet there are tons more to discover. Must be.