All things Killzone

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
JaySevenZero
Admin

All things Killzone

Post by JaySevenZero »

A little late in posting this up but we're this week we'll be discussing Guerrilla Games Killzone 2 and Killzone 3

Please share your thoughts, experiences and opinions of the games in this here thread which once the show is in the bag we'll change the title into a "all things Killzone thread"
Todinho

Re: This week's podcast: Killzone 2 & Killzone 3

Post by Todinho »

Killzone 2 was one of the games that made me get a ps3 I still remember the trailers and how the graphics looked at the time it seemed like one of those games you jsut had to have to justify your machine,funnily enough whenever I think of killzone now the graphics are the furthest thing in my mind,what's became really memorable to me is how the ships,mechs and weapons look,they all seem so unique and different from what you normally see in this type of game and help bring an identity to the game,the gameplay also adds to that having a sense of weight and impact all of it's own that and the levels that mix things up with jet-packs and mechs help make the campaign just a little bit more memorable.

Speaking of the campaign let's not forget the element that truly sets this series apart from most other shooters in the market,it's story, at first glace one would be forgiven to think that this game has just another generic plot involving space marines,that however couldnt be further from the truth what the writers at Guerrila games did was create a pretty good comentary on world politics through the story of these games here the players take control of the imperialist forces of the ISA a group of off world colonies controlled by Earth trying to destroy the only true independent planet in the known universe,Helghan.We see how this nation rose up from literally the ashes to build something from themselfs only to have it all crushed by an invasion,we see the propaganda created by the ISA to paint Visari as a madman and to justify this "just war" we are forced to see the horrors inflicted on the Helghan people through the eyes of the blind and clearly disturbed marines this is truly a bold move from Guerrila games and makes the narrative in Killzone really something special.....or rather that's what I would like to say unfortunally the stories in these two games end up being very shallow and badly told,all the main characters are either boring or terrible people or maybe just terribly written,so much that no matters how evil the game tries to paint the Helghast I cant help but to sympathize with them they are at least fun to watch and have memorable characters well at least in 2,I wish i could remember more of the plot from Killzone 3 but all I recall is "-Follow Orders! -No!,fuck orders let's blow stuff up! -Oops genocide is hilarious bye!" I think the team might've wanted to tell a deeper story in the games unfortunally it all falls flat it's entertening to a point but nothing more.

On a last note I usually dont play much of multiplayer in shooters which might seem crazy but Killzone's 2 did hold my interest for a relative long time though if I had to point out why I wouldnt be able to anwser,still it was good fun.
delb2k

Post by delb2k »

This post is coming from a different angle in that I have rarely touched the multiplayer components of either title. This was down to PSN being a complete pain to navigate through but that is a different topic for a currently non-existant thread.

Killzone was always one of the best looking guys in the room. He looked sharp, impressive and imposing from a distance with continued moments of visual brilliance in both its lighting and environments with some truly stunning vistas. He sounded divine and knew how to make the player feel good when firing a high calibre weapon. The problem is that he is also as dumb as rocks. And he is awful at telling a story.

The games always fitted into that variety of shooter that did enough to make me feel good without managing to make me feel clever. They are ostensibly and unapologetically corridor shooters with waves of Helghast running at you eager to be headshotted at the players earliest convenience. The foes are not clever or smart so there is no pleasure in outwitting them or employing clever tactics to move forward. Instead Guerilla relies on making the player feel good in firing the weapon and mowing these waves down, hoping to an endorphin rush of power through dominance makes up for the basic level of the games structure while throwing lots of pretty things around to aid in the distraction.

For me that’s enough to make it fun. It is not outstanding but it is enjoyable for a few evenings as I marvel at how pretty it looks, how nice my gun sounds and how crazily powerful I am. Not every shooter has to be a game of wits, I like just having a straightforward firing range through different environments and that is what Killzone does for me and I am more than happy with that. I have never regretted playing either of these games but I would never replay them either, it lacks that Halo ability to lure me back with smart enemy encounters but the developers were never aiming for that. It is a popcorn game designed to distract and entertain but never to be too deep or clever. I can accept and enjoy that for what it wants to be, and I am sure I will again with shadow Fall.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Killzone 2 was the first game I played on my PS3. I hated it. No idea why. It just seemed so dull and generic. I can't really think of anything else to say.
chase210

Post by chase210 »

Killzone is possibly one of my favorutite shooter franchises around. I've played all 5 games, and I love them all. The original and killzone liberation don't play as well anymore, but 2 is still a good game, and it looks stunning even nearly 5 years on, although the weapon selection of what you could carry with you was stupid, why can I can a rocket launcher and a pistol or a rifle and a pistol, and visari's palace as the final level wasn't great, but still a good game. 3 is the game that really sealed it for me though. They finally fixed some of the worst controls, like being able to aim with L1 and shoot with R1, changed the weapon selection, and just made it more.... accersible? I don't know if thats the right word, but it was certainly, if not easier, easier to play, since there was always something exciting going on.
If I wasn't shooting higs on the ground I was in a giant robot exo, or on a turrent, or on a dropship with a mini gun, and the story, although essentially being like a cartoon villains plot, was enjoyable enough (love awful British accents) and I really enjoyed the multiplayer. I think killzone is a slower shooter in that regard to call of duty or what have you, but I like that so thats ok. And what you get in return for that in a sense of weight in your character you don't normally get in other characters, such as seeing myself climb a ladder with my hands, or landing with a thud.

Killzone mercanary(don't know if your talking about this) is suprisingly excellent as well. While it doesn't run perfectly on the vita, its by far the best shooter on the system and a neat little shooter it is too. I like the way the contracts system make me play through a level different, and I can take any weapon into any situationn, I like the story, and it looks amazing. So killzone, definitely worth a bash.
Sly Reflex

Post by Sly Reflex »

You can say what you want about the Killzone games, but they sure know how to cast good voice talent in the Helghast parts. Sean Pertwee, Malcolm McDowell and Ray Winstone really make the scenes they are in. Sean Pertwee has been in a few games, most notably the Fable ones, but he totally nails the main villain in Killzone 2. Every line is delivered to perfection from him.
andihero

Re: All things Killzone

Post by andihero »

I couldn't tell you the first thing about the plot of Killzone - it's some macho dudes shooting space Nazi's, right? - but I think the series gets a bad rap from most people. The single player campaign has some decent firefights, some pretty spectacular setpieces and some fancy weaponry to keep things ticking over. It's no better or worse than the campaign in a Call of Duty game, and people LOVE those. What gives? Still, absolutely no idea what is going on. Couldn't even name the lad you play as. I've finished them all, too!

The multiplayer, though. That is the main reason I enjoy the Killzone games. I'm really good at them, without even having to try to hard, and because I had some freakish instant success, I played more than I probably would have if I sucked at it. I found myself learning the more advanced tactics and skills top players use and before I knew it I'd gotten completely hooked. It is a weird one, I totally see how someone may find Killzone to be an also-ran FPS, but because of my weird relationship with the multiplayer, its like it is MY also-ran FPS game! I still dip in to Killzone 3 from time to time, mainly because I find it strangely relaxing to have a few frames on that to round an evening off.
Pitwar

Post by Pitwar »

I love the Killzone games, I'd go as far as to say they are my favourite FPS in regards to the online component. The old Gamerdork nights on KZ3 were always excellent fun and I'm hoping we can recreate the magic on the PS4. Who's with me?!
chase210

Post by chase210 »

Anyone up for some killzone shadowfall MP?
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Just a heads-up that Karl has also made a Shadow Fall multiplayer thread over in community.

Sadly I won't be getting the game just yet as I couldn't afford everything I wanted so plumped for BF4 instead, but Killzone is on my Christmas list.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Just a heads-up that Karl has also made a Shadow Fall multiplayer thread over in community:
http://caneandrinse.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=858

Sadly I won't be getting the game just yet as I couldn't afford everything I wanted so plumped for BF4 instead, but Killzone is on my Christmas list.