Your gaming memories of 2013

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
delb2k

Your gaming memories of 2013

Post by delb2k »

So we are fast approaching the end of 2013 and it feels apt to start a thread celebrating the best memories of your year. These can be about anything gaming, and do not have to be massively worthy or particularly enlightning. It is about what you enjoyed, what you remember fondly and what put a smile on your face over the last year.

So, without further ado a few of my own:

GTA V - I switch to Trevor for a reason I cannot explicitly remember and wake up to him lieing against a wall on the beach. Walking past is a morbidly obese lady completely in the nude. I spent a good minute just giggling at this because it was so completely random and so utterly unexpected. That someone would think this is something should go in the game was both tremendous and another indication how much crazy is a part of that world.

Mario 3D World - In World 3 or 4 you reach a box that tasks you to get 10 stars in 10 short levels that each only last 10 seconds. It is a pure adrenaline shot of platforming that encapsulates what makes Nintendo platformers so fantastically brilliant. Even in such a small burst it displays more invention than almost any platformer out there.

Dead Space 3 - Creating a shotgun force gun coupled with a acidic rifle allowed me to lay waste to necromorphs in a way that was almost embaressing. Stupendous moment.

Hotline Miami - Chapter 8, quite frankly all of it. The music, the layout and the pure brutality I could create solidified how immense this title was in my eyes.

Far Cry Blood Dragon - Press A to confirm you can read. Had me laughing out loud. Add to that luring a blood dragon into a camp, sitting back and watching it go crazy. And then realizing I need to finish it off..

Dragons Dogma - Taking down an ogre 3 times my size on the first outing was exhilirating and bloody scary at the same time. I especially remember rolling around like a drugged up crazy person resuccitating my other travellers as I was determined not to die.

Luigis Mansion 2 - All of Luigis animations throughout the game. Was perfectly pitched and really made me think he was terrified wandering around each mansion.

Saints Row 4 - Riding a rocket to Aerosmith. At that point it could do little wrong in my eyes.

Hell Yeah: Wrath of the Dead Rabbit - Each execution mini game for the bosses you face. Some are just completely bizarre including injections, beatdowns and all sorts of increasingly stupid ways to make things explode.

there are others but these are what stick out in my mind. Just moments that made me smile on a regular basis. So cane and rinsers, what have you?
AndyKurosaki

Re: Your gaming memories of 2013

Post by AndyKurosaki »

Rayman Legends, specifically the music levels. The whole game is pretty much amazing, but the music levels put a massive smile on my face. Playing Castle Rock for the first time was a real "this is why I love gaming" moment.

Saints Row IV. A ridiculous game, but by god do I love the series. The "Aerosmith" moment is great, couple others stand out that I'll spoiler....
Spoiler: show
the Streets Of Rage tribute. And the Roddy Piper cameo. Oh and the dancing in the end credits :lol:
Tomb Raider. Again, an outstanding game. The first moment you look out at the island when the logo fades in made my jaw drop at how amazing it looked. And that was on a SD television. Best believe I'm well up for the PS4 version.

Dragon's Crown, and it's Monty Python and the Holy Grail reference. Made me laugh anyway.

Resogun. Figuring out how you save humans, then trying to save all 10 in a single level. A recent addition, sure. But still bloody brilliant.
GTAV. Every time you switch to Trevor pretty much had me laughing, going "what the fuck?" or a combination of the
two. I also had fun with a random Michael switch. Walking down a street, some prossy's ask if he wants some, to which he says "no thanks, I'm married, behaving now". Oh no you're not I think, so I grab a car and shag one anyway. Then kill her and get my money back. Who's behaving now Mikey boy eh? Ya prick.
Oh, then I figured out how to kill his wife and kids, then poured gas on them and set them on fire. Then after getting killed by the cops, getting angry texts from wife and kids saying "you asshole, you're paying for our medical bills". So I killed them again with gas grenades. Found this quite funny. I may need therapy :lol:
BasementShaxx

Post by BasementShaxx »

Bioshock Infinite - The moment when the doors open and you step out into Columbia proper was spectacular. It felt like the moment in Fallout 3 when you first emerge from the Vault, only a lot prettier and more racist. I thought everything about the ending after the C-A-G-E moment was incredible as well, I played through those final 15-20 minutes in stunned silence. Just a shame quite a lot of the intervening game was a little average.

Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons - A wonderful little game from start to finish, but there was one particular moment which got to me more than almost any other moment in gaming this year:
The moment at the end when little brother has to swim for the first time without big brother, when I pulled that left trigger I started crying. The end of that game is such a punch in the gut.
GTA V - So many great moments in that game but unfortunately all of them are overshadowed by one unpleasant one. The infamous torture/racial profiling mission was memorable for all the wrong reasons, maybe because it's one of the most uncomfortable moments I've had to play through in a game. I can see what they were trying to do, but R* are not exactly masters of subtle satire and this was definitely not the sort of subject they should have been trying to tackle.

The Last of Us - So many moments in that game stick in the memory, but one tiny one in particular stayed with me for a long time. Early on in the game there's a short cut scene with Joel, Tess and Ellie on a rooftop looking over at the state house. Joel is standing with his arms crossed and just as Tess and Ellie leave and call for him to go he glances down at his broken watch and then follows. Such a tiny little moment that could easily be lost if you looked away for a second but it speaks volumes of Joel's character.

Resogun - One word: Armageddon

Ni No Kuni: Wrath of The White Witch - I loved this game, it had all the charm and beauty of a Studio Ghibli film and it's one of the best JRPGs Ive played in years. My favorite section of that game was The Fairygrounds, I played through that entire part of the story with a massive grin on my face and kept going back long after I had exhausted all the side missions there. The Fairygrounds theme is also one of my favourite tracks on the soundtrack, which in turn is one of my favourite game soundtracks of 2013.

Guacamelee - Another great game full of memorable moments, but in particular I liked every time you smashed a Chozo statue and got chiding from the Uay Chivo.

Mass Effect 3: Citadel - The group photo you take at the end of this final piece of DLC was a fitting way to say goodbye to that series and those characters (although I hope some of them make some sort of appearance in the next one, wouldn't be a Mass Effect game unless Garrus was calibrating something).
TomFum

Post by TomFum »

Yakuza 5 - Fantastic game, alot more of the same to be honest but the story in this one was great, also loved the fact you got to play as haruka, and rather than beating people up, you got to have dance off's with them. So many good bits to the game and the hunting levels with saijima were fun if a little hard. The online Virtua Fighter 2 games were good as well. Love this game so much and i really hope it gets a UK release. Highly recommend playing it if you get a chance.

GTA5 - Game of the year for me, not much to be said that people already dont know but wow what a game. Still hammering the online as well which supprised me as GTA4's got rather boring by now. so yer cracking game.

And thats about it for my gaming memories. I still have a few games i need to finish and start playing, but having a serious gaming lull as of late (hence being so quite on here) so i really cant be arsed. We will see, hopefully my video game spark will be reignited.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

Moments of plot brilliance in a year that's been exceptional...

Bioshock Infinite: Elizabeth saves you from Songbird by taking you somewhere... else.

The Last of Us: Joel makes a decision regarding the fate of the one versus the fate of the many.

Remember Me: Nilin discovers who she is, what was done to her, and why.

Tomb Raider: Lara returns to where her ordeal began and catches her reflection in a mirror.

GTA V: Franklin is given two unpalatable choices, and finds a third way.
Todinho

Post by Todinho »

Antichamber-Well eveything in that game honestly XD but to be especific the first hour or so and the last hour,this game so good!

Papers Please-The conclusion to Gorji's story and my friend at the guard post :D

Bioshock infinite-everything in the beginning that made my jaw drop

Last of us-Playing it on hard without listen mode on(the only correct way to play the game!)and of course some of the best writting and characters in this generation.

Stanley Parable-for almost making me die of laughter at one point and making me feel uncomfortable and want to stop playing it at another.

Fire emblem awakening-Every battle I won by a hair with nobody dying and all the dialogue with Tharja because they were hilarious

Metro last light-the outside levels

the Swapper- being amazed by the visuals and confused by the puzzles and story
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

I think genuinely my best gaming memory of 2013 is being part of the ever growing C&R community and having people to talk to who love video games as much as I do. Everyone here talks so passionately about the games they love and almost every game I've played, whether it's a triple A title or little indie release has a thread full of people giving their thoughts and opinions. It's good here.

Pass the sick bucket.
NokkonWud

Post by NokkonWud »

*passes bucket*

Thanks Alex :-)
Roy42

Post by Roy42 »

delb2k wrote:Mario 3D World - In World 3 or 4 you reach a box that tasks you to get 10 stars in 10 short levels that each only last 10 seconds. It is a pure adrenaline shot of platforming that encapsulates what makes Nintendo platformers so fantastically brilliant. Even in such a small burst it displays more invention than almost any platformer out there.
Just wait 'til you get to the final world.
James

Post by James »

Alex79uk wrote:I think genuinely my best gaming memory of 2013 is being part of the ever growing C&R community and having people to talk to who love video games as much as I do. Everyone here talks so passionately about the games they love and almost every game I've played, whether it's a triple A title or little indie release has a thread full of people giving their thoughts and opinions. It's good here.

Pass the sick bucket.
I feel exactly the same. My fondest memories of 2013 are on the forum, the podcasts and at Eurogamer. It's been a great year for fostering Cane And Rinse, and for that I must give thanks to everyone here on the forum who make it what it is.

If I have to pick some gaming moments it's tough to beat the final battle in Super Mario 3D World (first playthrough)... but I'll try. ;)

- Beating Gwyn in Dark Souls. Each time was completely different due to the playthrough that preceded it, from that first time to my SL1 run and a speedrun. Let's face it, this had to be on the list! :roll:
- DmC's Bob Barbas boss fight is easily one of the most memorable sequences I've ever played. That and the disco level are highlights of what is an excellent game throughout.
- Activating the stone circle for the first time in Proteus.
- Spending a good 20 minutes in complete silence whilst playing the cafe scene with Tony in Bientot l'ete. That moment was probably the most immersive of 2013 for me.
- As a counter-point to Bientot l'ete, the entirety of God Hand was completely ludicrous in the best possible way. :mrgreen:

That's a few highlights from my gaming experiences of 2013. Nice thread, by the way, delb2k!
AndyKurosaki

Post by AndyKurosaki »

Yeah, much love to you guys who put all the hard work in :)

Got another one: Ride To Hell. Absolutely hilarious, until you realise the developers were being serious. One of the worst games I've played in my life, from the nonsensical intro (one action scene quick cut into another, with no explanation at all), to dodgy graphics, to abysmal acting. Then it starts treating women very badly and it just gets offensive.
And they asked £40 for it.It'd be taking the piss at a Live Arcade/PSN release.
Todinho

Post by Todinho »

Well if we're counting games that werent released this year then I got a few others:

Dark souls-everything about it really but especially the Ornstein and Smough fight and Artorias also writting all my progress and spamming the Dark souls thread
Peace Walker-That second ending
God Hand-beating that infernal final boss after trying a million times
Killer 7- the final levels
VLR- every ending
No more Heroes-the boss fights especially Bad Girl and I hate sound like broken record but the ending was also great!
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

My actual best gaming memory of 2013 was definitely Dark Souls. I've never been so captivated by a game. I played nothing else whilst playing that, I watched nothing else, I thought about nothing else. I don't think anything will ever nudge off the top of my favourite games ever list. It was just something... something special.
DarthCuddles

Post by DarthCuddles »

It's been a good year to be a fan of Dota 2, from the actual release of the game, to multiple heroes being ported across from Warcraft 3(especially these past few months), to the international 2013 which was an utterly sublime production

Some TI3 highlights

some more highlights including my first Rampage

chase210

Post by chase210 »

Not including Pokemon, I'd have to be thinking of

- Bioshock infinite. Not just the ending, the whole thing like. Amazing from start to finish
- Not the whole of the last of us, but certainly the start, and the bit towards the end. We all know what I mean ;)
- A link between worlds. What a game/
PapaBlingo

Post by PapaBlingo »

Sadly, my overriding memory of 2013 is being far to busy in RL to really get into any one game. That being said, Fire Emblem on 3DS really grabbed me by the balls, and I continue to enjoy it.
JaySevenZero
Admin

Post by JaySevenZero »

Dark Souls - Leon kindly gave me a copy of this game and since I had listened to people going on about it for 18 months or so felt I'd give it a shot. Needless to say over 200 hours invested in it later, I could fully understand what the attraction was (and still is!).

The Last of Us - kinda obvious but if one game stood out to me in really showing how far video game story telling and performance have progressed over the years - this was it.

GTAV - loved this game from the moment I started playing the single-player with no interest to begin with the online part. However, after spending (at time of writing this) 192 hours and 37 mins playing just GTA Online it's safe to say I love the overall package.