Games Completed 2014

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Todinho

Re: Games Completed 2014

Post by Todinho »

Guacamelee(PC)-Yeah a fun arcade adventure game it's cool that the power-ups also serve as moves for you to do in combat the humor was was hit and miss but mostly miss,what really got to me and lessened my enjoyment of the game overall was the amount of plataforming you have to do just to progress the plot let alone to get extra stuff,it's so fucking anoying the amount of times I huged a wall without meaning or my power-up failed to go and let me fall and fail was staggering and almost made me quit but I guess if you like plataforming there's some interesting stuff to do in the game,to me however Dust despite getting stale by the end is stilll a much better example of the genre that game actually made me want to explore and discover all there was in this I avoided it because I didnt wanna do more plataforming.
mikeleddy83

Post by mikeleddy83 »

Jan - Kid Icarus: Uprising (3DS)

Well it's almost 3 years since I first played this game (albeit in its early development stages) but it's a winner, one of those games that really pushes the system and plays brilliantly too. There are gripes as always but for the most part it was as exciting as I could've hoped!
Roy42

Post by Roy42 »

01/01 - Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door
01/01 - Super Monkey Ball (Easy Levels)
01/01 - Super Monkey Ball (Advanced Levels)
02/01 - TRAUMA
03/01 - Machinarium
06/01 - Uplink

There is a story in Uplink, with certain missions that progress it, but if you're not quick enough to get into the top ten ranked Uplink agents in the game, it'll just carry on without you and you're left with a pointless file. That happened with me, whereupon I robbed several banks, made even more money manipulating the stock market, sent every other Uplink agent to jail and then broke into the systems of the evil company in the story and destroyed all of their files anyway. I basically did everything that you could in the game and I'm not quite in the mood to go back to the beginning and try again. Uplink is really fun once it gets going, but the first 30-60 minutes of any playthrough is a really slow burn and your ability to get any decent amount of money depends on the right kind of mission appearing in the mission list before the story mission is set to play out, but if you get into the top ten ranked Uplink agents list, you might also lock yourself out of actually being able to get those missions that actually have the potential to earn money. It's a bit of randomness I'm not interested in going through to see the story play out, so I'm fine saying that I completed the game when there was nothing left to do but keep earning more money that was, at that point, utterly pointless.

Nevertheless, I think Uplink is awesome, even more so for the fact that it originally came out in 2001.
Bakers_12

Post by Bakers_12 »

6/1 The Walking Dead S2 Ep1
8/1 Child of Eden
Baron Phil

Post by Baron Phil »

Baron Phil wrote:Jan 6 - The Last of Us
Jan 6 - The Room
Jan 7 - Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

Spoiler: show
Jan 1: God of War Ascension - £6.30.
Jan 3: Uncharted Golden Abyss - Free*
Jan 7: The Room & Epilogue - £1.49
Jan 7: Bioshock Infinite: BaS Ep1. - Free**
Jan 8: To The Moon - 63p from Humble Bundle X

* - PS Plus "Free"
** - Paid for content in 2013.

All prices listed are monies spent in 2014.
To The Moon. Oof, hit me right in the emotions. Well worth the 3-4 hours playtime to see the story through. Not much of a game but still, glad I played it.
The Sonic Mole

Post by The Sonic Mole »

The Sonic Mole wrote:Ocarina of Time 3D (3DS)
Attack of the Friday Monsters! A Tokyo Tale (3DS)
Uncharted 2 (PS3)

Enjoyed this. The bits between and including the collapsing hotel and the train section were breathtaking. It's just a shame it petered out towards the end. Also, it still looks damn pretty in places in 2014.
mikeleddy83

Post by mikeleddy83 »

Jan - Kid Icarus: Uprising (3DS)
Jan - Attack of the Friday Monsters! A Tokyo Tale (3DS)
Indiana747

Post by Indiana747 »

(Jan) Call of Duty:MW2(Veteran difficulty) - PS3.
(Jan) The Wolf Among Us:Episode One - PSN.
(Jan) Call of Duty:MW3(Veteran difficulty) - PS3.
BasementShaxx

Post by BasementShaxx »

(Jan) - Tearaway - PS Vita

Pretty special little game, uses all the tech in the Vita effectively and in interesting ways, if you have a Vita you have absolutely no excuse not to get it.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Alex79uk wrote:07 JAN - DmC Devil May Cry (PS3)
09 JAN - Beyond: Two Souls (PS3)

Yeah, I liked it. More thoughts here - http://caneandrinse.com/forum/viewtopic ... 027#p20027
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

Jan 9: Alan Wake American Nightmare - Free**

* - PS Plus "Free"
** - Already paid for before 2014.

Alan Wake DLC! A nice little bonkers episode of Night Springs and I was in the main role! You should check it if you like Alan Wake's bizarre world.
wolfrider

Post by wolfrider »

JAN- The Bureau XCOM Declassified

Good game, but I agree, with that last level you do go WTF! Just makes no sense.
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

Jan 9: Alan Wake American Nightmare - Free**
Jan 11: Influx - Free**

* - PS Plus "Free"
** - Already paid for before 2014.

A game about a ball rolling about is right up my alley. This is kind of like if Samus Aran from Metroid Prime never left her Morph Ball mode and entered various Portal-esque puzzles in between moments of rolling about realistic looking locations. Pretty good game but it gets ridiculously buggy near the end.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Where did you get GoW:Ascention so cheap?
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

Morrisons had it in their clearance sale at £7. 10% off due to working there. I also picked up 15 months worth of PS Plus for £22!
Indiana747

Post by Indiana747 »

(Jan) Call of Duty:MW2(Veteran difficulty) - PS3.
(Jan) The Wolf Among Us:Episode One - PSN.
(Jan) Call of Duty:MW3(Veteran difficulty) - PS3.
(Jan) The Saboteur - PS3.
Todinho

Post by Todinho »

DMC Devil May cry(ps3)/Metal Gear Rising:revegeance(PC)

Well playing these 2 together almost made my brain colapse I kept trying to parry in DMC and trying to dodge in Rising with the R1 XD,they ended up being far more diferrent than thought Rising is fast paced,over the top and focuses on one mechanic while DMC is slow paced,edgy and focuses on multiple weapons use but one thing that both games had in common was make me facepalm by the end over how stupid and bad their plot and ending are,now I know that the focus of these games are not plot but I have to get this of my chest:
Rising:
Well im glad Raiden went through all that character development in MGS4 so he could just trown it in the garbage!I mean really by the end of this game he's "I gotta fight my own war" well it's not like you have a wife and a kid who you told you'd never leave again waiting for you back in New Zeland right!? The other thing is that there seems to be 3 different stories trying to be told here,at first is about the post-SOP world and people not too happy about that because the world has became far too peacefull...ok but then when you get to Mexico it becames a plot about saving the brains of kidnaped kids(I cant even write this without facepalming) so we can get Raiden mental breakdown that makes no sense after MGS4 and must be a leftover from when the game was set betewen 2 and 4,and then out of nowhere Mr.America shows up(I actually think he's great and I loved every second of him on screen but he had to be on another game) and the plot changes to something about US foreign policy and war coupled with a bad copy of something similar to Big Boss ideology.Not to mention Monsoon and his rant about memes for dummies cheapening eveything that happened in MGS2
DMC:
Remember when Devil May Cry was about a guy who had a demon hunting bussiness and had to stop the king of then crossing over to bring armageddon and not some poorly made political comentary on society trying desperatly to appeal to a teenage demographic by being edgy I liked those simpler times when DMC was about scenes like this
Instead of this
Every character in this game is terrible,the dialogue is some of the worst I've seen in recent years and the new "Dante" is the worst reimagining of a character I've ever seen yep this about sums it up,also did anyone else got bothered with the overuse of the word "Whore" in the game?.
Of the two I think I prefer Rising in the end because at least the games makes up with some funny and over the top scenes and the codec is great with tons of stuff on the characters and world while DMC it's just an edgy snore and I refuse to believe that the same people that wrote Kind Bohan,monkey and Nariko wrote this garbage.

Well with that out of the way on to gameplay,like I said they both play very different Rising is very fast and smooth with some fights lasting only a minute if you know what you're doing,the game focuses almost entirely on the swordplay and the game really benefits from it slicing cyborgs and UG's apart never get's old and the parrying system while tricky to get at first is a fun addition to it making you always stay in the offensive,the camera can get a bit unruly at times but nothing that frustated me,the weapons moveset is also really fun to learn and pull with the addition of side weapons like the lance and Sai making for some really fun use in combat but honestly the focus and most fun is the Katana it has to be said though that wigling of the stick is the worse thing in the game and whoever thought of that should be forced to sleep on a bed of nails,meanwhile in DMC the moveset of the weapons is really limited especially in comparison to revengeance it's just a few moves for each and they are really simple to pull the game makes up for it though with you being able to switch weapons on the fly something that makes the combat really fun to experiment with unfortunally as the game goes on they introduce an increasing amount of anoying enemies that can only be damaged on one especific area or by a particular weapons so that sucks the fun pretty fast and only serves to break gameflow in my opinion,another thing I noticed is that the scoring system in the game is completely broken I was getting S ranks so easily by doing the same move I was wondering what the point was my guess is that being able to switch weapons so fast caused this and nobody tried to fix it,also the lack of a lock-on is infuriating.

The Bosses are very different on both games as well,in Rising they are mostly humaniod and are the highlight of the game both in the challenge and fun departament they also have some real creativity put behind them, on DMC though all they bosses are really easy and are your run of the mill big monster you have to take down(the Bob Barbas fight being a exception he was still easy but it was a really creative boss)In the levels deparment though DMC shines with some really cool levels like the dance club and the tv station while in revegeance is all urban and military enviroments. On a last note the soundtrack in Rising is phenomenal with the music fitting every part of the game as well as getting you pumped for the craziness that's about to unfold.

So yeah in the end i didnt find DMC to be all of what the Cane&Rinse Crew was talking about but I did have fun with it and despite what I said I'd like Ninja Theory to try their hands on a sequel so that they can improve on what they built here,Rising for me though is a better game on almost every level and I had a blast playing it so much so that I already started a new playthrough it's no bayonetta but then again what is?
Scrustle

Post by Scrustle »

I think the older DMC games and MGR get away with having stupid writing because they know they're stupid, so they have some fun with it. Like your examples show, in DMC4 Dante mocks Angus's stupid, overly dramatic speech, with an even more stupid and overly dramatic speech. DmC just takes itself way too seriously. As a story there isn't really much difference between DmC and the older games, but the tone is way different, so DmC suffers a lot for it. I think the general writing is less interesting too. Like the use of "whore" and other expletives that seem to get used in place of any kind of comedy in the older games. It comes across as childish, and trying way too hard to pander to a crowd who thinks saying four letter words makes them cool and grown up. I don't totally hate New Dante though. He's a dick, but as the game went on and he started to warm to the other characters more, he became less so. He was still a dick, but not like he was earlier in the game, where he was a dick to the people trying to help him too.

But there's a reason why it's hard to believe the same people who wrote other Ninja Theory games wrote DmC. It's because they didn't. Their previous games were all written by people they brought in, not by anyone in-house. DmC was their first game they wrote themselves. Ironically, their reputation of well regarded stories was the reason Capcom chose them in the first place. Although the idea that the appeal of a DMC game is writing seems pretty misjudged to me.
Dante Fireseed

Post by Dante Fireseed »

January 12: Metal Gear Rising Reveangance (PS3)

Bat shit crazy and really fun game.