Games Completed 2014

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Alex79

Re: Games Completed 2014

Post by Alex79 »

Hmm, I've had MGS:R sat on my PS3 for a couple of months now and not really had the desire to play it, especially since I'm not up to date with the series whatsoever, but after reading Todinho's evaluation of it I think I'm going to get stuck in.
Todinho

Post by Todinho »

Do it! it's a really fun game to play once you grasp the mechanics and dont worry about being caught up with the series the game stands alone well enough and even non metal gear fans can play it and not be completely lost if you really want though play MGS4 first since this takes place after that and some references are made to the game if you want tips on how to play the game well there's this really good video explaining the important stuff:.
Also funny thing I found,like in all metal gear games you can also finnish this game without killing anyone other than bosses though you cant zandatsu anyone either so that makes the game alot harder wood blade FTW!

On the DMC story if Ninja Theory gets a second chance I hope they can give it a lighter tone and maybe hiring some of those writers they had in previous games.Also just noticed I wrote kind Bohan in there and that made me laugh XD.
Scrustle

Post by Scrustle »

I liked DmC, but next I'd much rather see a return to the old style. I want DMC5 next. I'd like to see Nero back again too. I really like playing as him in DMC4, and I think they could explore more with his character. It's never really revealed exactly who he is or what his relation to Dante is. He just happens to live in this little community and has similar powers to Dante. They imply he's related though on several occasions, but there's nothing more specific than that.

I'm looking forward to seeing what Ninja Theory get up to next though. They are already working on their next project, which they showed a glimpse of in a video they put out a while ago. There was some female character with blue hair that hasn't been in any of their games so far. Both concept art and a rendered character model. So it seems whatever they're working on, it involves her. Hopefully they'll be able to build on what they did well in DmC and bring out something great.

That's the video with the girl in. It's kind of odd when they show a clip of violinists in a recording studio with Combichrist playing over the top.
PressEscToExit

Post by PressEscToExit »

Rayman Legends (WiiU)
Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons (PS3)
Gravity Bone (PC)
Thirty Flights of Loving (PC)
Street Fighter Alpha (PS1/PSN)

Wipeout 2048 (Vita)

Finally got around to playing this properly. It's a really generous package, especially with the HD/Fury packs thrown in, and a great showcase of the Vita hardware, but the new tracks fall a bit short of matching the series best for me. It feels like there's a greater emphasis on accommodating the combat here, which does address the often frustrating chaos of HD/Fury's classic races on Elite difficulty but at the expense of the tight, memorable course design and some of the more interesting modes which made those releases really stand out . Still, it's a solid final release from Sony Liverpool, who barely ever put a foot wrong as far as I'm concerned. Sadly missed now, hope they've all found new homes where they'll be better appreciated.
James

Post by James »

PressEscToExit, I couldn't agree more about Wipeout 2048. It took me a while to get into 'Wipeout mode', but it really was an excellent handheld version.

As far as courses go, it starts to repeat a bit by the end, but that just helped me feel more and more at home with it.

Time for a quick 2014 catch-up!

04/01 - The Legend Of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds (3DS)
09/01 - Bleed (PC)
13/01 - Deathsmiles (Xbox 360)
13/01 - DoDonPachi Resurrection (Xbox 360)
13/01 - Akai Katana (Xbox 360)

Played a bunch of Cave shooters for Issue 113. Bleed is a great action platformer that I'd heartily recommend. Oh, and A Link Between Worlds is alright too. ;-)

I completed Deathsmiles twice (once through Xbox 360 mode and once through Ver. 1.1 mode), hence the extra completion listed in the new tally below.

Games completed = 5
Total completions = 6

Onwards!
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

Spoiler: show
Jan 1: God of War Ascension - £6.30.
Jan 3: Uncharted Golden Abyss - £0.00*
Jan 7: The Room & Epilogue - £1.49
Jan 7: Bioshock Infinite: BaS Ep1. - £0.00**
Jan 8: To The Moon - 0.63p from Humble Bundle X
Jan 9: Alan Wake American Nightmare - £0.00**
Jan 11: Influx - Free**
Jan 15: Broken Age Act 1 - £0.00**
Jan 15: Nidhogg - £8

* - PS Plus "Free"
** - Already paid for before 2014.

All prices listed are monies spent in 2014.

Running total: £16.42
Nidhogg is on here as I won't ever complete the single player because what's the point? It's all about the multiplayer, baby!

Broken Age Act 1 is well worth playing, just don't go expecting Monkey Island levels of quality :)
countstex

Post by countstex »

Well, just a couple of weeks in and I'm two games down already! This is unprecedented for me. There is something about their bing a new generation that has given a feeling of closure on my current pile of shame that has freed me up to tackle it! Loving it.

Portal 2 2014-01-14
Bioshock 2014-01-07
Dante Fireseed

Post by Dante Fireseed »

January 12: Metal Gear Rising Reveangance (PS3)
January 15: Gunpoint (PC)
Rich

Post by Rich »

Broken Sword 5 - Part 1 (PC) $50 Kickstarter (included all previous Revolution games on GOG)

Maybe a bit rougher around the edges than I hoped but I was very glad to be back pointing and clicking with George and Nico.
I look forward to part two.

Super Stardust Delta - (Vita) £7.99
I got the hero of the galaxy trophy to say I've completed all the planets but I'm far from done with the game. The best I've played in the Stardust series and one of the best games I've tried on the Vita.

Guacamelee! (PS3/Vita) £7.99
Played up to the last boss on PS3 and got so frustrated with the colour coded shields that I completely gave up (I'm colour blind by the way).
I never thought I'd finish it but when I was given a Vita I saw I had Guacamelee available to download so I gave it another try. Synced my save and bashed my head against a wall for a few hours before the credits.
Other than the colour stuff this game would have hit my top 10 last year easy. It nailed everything it set out to do in the gameplay department and the graphics and music are great. I understand the humour is too internety for some people but it didn't bother me. Easy to ignore.
Broken Age Act 1 - (PC) (About $30 including some tip jar contributions)
I loved it. I'm looking forward to some excellent pay off in act 2. If it lives up to my expectations I'll be shocked if it's not something I play again and again for years to come.
Even just the art puts it up with some of my favourite games ever.
AndyKurosaki

Post by AndyKurosaki »

Call Of Duty: Black Ops 2-PS3
The Wolf Among Us: Episode 1-PS3
Castle Crashers-360
Injustice: Gods Among Us-PS4
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

Jan 1: God of War Ascension - £6.30.
Jan 3: Uncharted Golden Abyss - £0.00*
Jan 7: The Room & Epilogue - £1.49
Jan 7: Bioshock Infinite: BaS Ep1. - £0.00**
Jan 8: To The Moon - 0.63p from Humble Bundle X
Jan 9: Alan Wake American Nightmare - £0.00**
Jan 11: Influx - Free**
Jan 15: Broken Age Act 1 - £0.00**
Jan 15: Nidhogg - £8
Jan 16: Estranged: Act 1 - Free

* - PS Plus "Free"
** - Already paid for before 2014.

All prices listed are monies spent in 2014.

Running total: £16.42
Estranged Act 1. A free Half Life 2 mod which is pretty good. It's about a zombie apocolypse (surprise!) and your journey as a standard fisherman in it. It's very HL2-esque which is both the reason what kept me playing yet also made it feel like a cheap 99p store knock off.

Still, i'd be well chuffed if I made it!
Todinho

Post by Todinho »

Broken Age act 1-Yep I really liked it and as someone who is terrible at adventure games im happy to say I only got stuck once while playing it :D ,I cant really compare this to other LucasArts adventure games since I only played 40 minutes of Monkey Island but I found this quite good one,the dialogue is great and the plot gets really interesting by the end of the act my only concern is that this seemed so short I dont know how they can finnish this in a satisfactory way by Act 2 but other than that and some wonky animation,that stands out because the games looks great and has some great animation to acompany it for most of it,at some parts this is great and I recommend everyone to give it a shot if you want a game to relax.
Roy42

Post by Roy42 »

01/01 - Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door
01/01 - Super Monkey Ball (Easy Levels)
01/01 - Super Monkey Ball (Advanced Levels)
02/01 - TRAUMA
03/01 - Machinarium
06/01 - Uplink
17/01 - Lyne

As an Australian indie developer's first game, I felt a certain obligation to support the guy and buy Lyne. It's got a solid basic premise for puzzles and a clean, crisp art style. The problem it suffers is quantity.

There are 250 puzzles to start off with; and after the first 25-50, you've seen literally all of the mechanics in the game. For far too long it keeps going and going and going with far too many puzzles that are all far too similar and end up blurring together. A good puzzle should be one that sticks with you such that you recognise it when you come back to it, even months or years later, and even if you've forgotten what exactly you need to do, playing it for a bit will have the solution rush back to you in a pleasant way. I only finished it a couple of hours ago and I already have forgotten every single puzzle in the game. Hell, I'd forget what I'd done within five minutes of doing it, because every single thing was the same.

It's a staggering amount of content initially, and they do get fairly tricky; and it even provides new sets of puzzles every day, so you'll never run out of things to do with the game. I just wish any one of the puzzles was challenging and memorable.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

Where do you guys find the time? Literally all I've managed to do so far this year is play about 2 hours of the Assassin's Creed 4 DLC...

You're making me question my commitment to my hobby :)
countstex

Post by countstex »

If it helps I have no job this time of year. ;)
Dante Fireseed

Post by Dante Fireseed »

January 12: Metal Gear Rising Revengeance (Normal) (PS3)
January 15: Gunpoint (PC)
January 18: Metal Gear Rising Revengeance (Hard) (PS3)
countstex

Post by countstex »

Island of Wakfu 2014-01-18
Portal 2 2014-01-14
Bioshock 2014-01-07
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

18th Jan - Assassin's Creed 4: Freedom Cry

It's... more of the same really. If you're expecting anything else you'll be disappointed. The fact it's mostly a story about slavery makes it pretty interesting from a plot point of view (and the penultimate mission is a real gut wrencher)
Roy42

Post by Roy42 »

Flabyo wrote:Where do you guys find the time?
Playing games helps to distract from life events. I didn't plan on doing as much as I had this soon.
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

Batman: Arkham Origins (360)

Brilliant, absolutely loved it from start to finish.