The Binding of Isaac

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
dezm0nd

The Binding of Isaac

Post by dezm0nd »

So, how many of you have been to The Basement and what are your experiences with Edmund McMillens & Florian Himsl's Zelda inspired Rogue-like.

Although this podcast won't be out until the following week, we're recording this week to realign ourselves with the podcasting moons... or something!
CapinGreen

Re: Next week's podcast Issue 116- The Binding of Isaac

Post by CapinGreen »

I've currently pumped about 70 hours of my time into The Binding of Isaac, and I don't show signs of stopping. Gameplay remains fresh due to its random nature and, unusually for a rogue-like, I find that almost any build is viable to complete the game with; it's all about pressing any advantages you can. Skill plays a huge part here as most items have a use (whether general, or situational), and playing to the strengths given to you adds a great depth to the gameplay. This helps to negate the tedium of the "doomed from the start run" associated with some rogue-likes, and makes it all the more satisfying to complete the game over, and over, and over again.

The narrative is also excellent, requiring the player to piece the story together (a trait which I really enjoy in a game). Thematically it's plain to see sin and religion, but there is a more subtle theme of recessing from reality, one that appears in several of McMillen's games, (detailed here: http://www.twinfinite.net/blog/2012/10/ ... -chompers/) which really blew me away.

The Binding of Isaac is the best rogue-like out there, and I'm thoroughly looking forward to the release of Rebirth later this year.
Todinho

Post by Todinho »

The Binding of Isaac is a weird one mainly because I didnt pick it up because of the gameplay or the pedigree of the creators,I didnt even know what a roguelike/roguelite was until I played this and I could never get into Super Meat Boy due to me sucking at plataformers,no this was a game that won me over for it's bizarre artsyle and setting alone,the first time I saw our crying protagonist shooting bloody tears at poo I knew I had to play this.
Gameplaywise it's pretty simple and easy to get into you move,you shoot and ocasionaly use itens.What keep things interesting is the incrediible amount and creativity of itens and enemies all that with the random nature of the game assure's you'll still get suprised even after hundreds of playthroughs,that said it's an incredible unfair game some playthroughs you'll get everything you need to progress but in others you're pretty much doomed from the start, that never stopped me from coming back for more though it's dark sense of humor and atrystyle always charmed me back to try again just one more time and even though I only scratched the surface of what this game has to offer,I only managed to kill isaacs Mom once and never even touched the chest or Sheol,I cant help but to love it and recommend it to anyone looking for something different or just for a good time.
registradus

Post by registradus »

According to Steam, I've put 327 hours into TBOI, although it is probably more in the range of 100-200 as I play it windowed and leave it running in the background. It took me a little while to get into the game, and I don't think I really got into it until the Wrath of the Lamb DLC. but when I got into it, I really got into it. It is so easy to pick up, and has an excellent difficulty curve. The final levels get pretty hard, almost so hard that it is a relief when you die and get sent back to the start.
jbtheskater

Post by jbtheskater »

I am glad to see this one has made the list - the game has been sitting on my steam account and this is just the excuse that I needed to get playing it. My initial thoughts so far: the art style is fantastic, the audio is nice and the setting is fitting. Pretty well shaped difficult curve too.

That being said, the very notion of applying moisture to fecal matter makes my stomach turn. Does this stop me from blasting every little brown monument that I see? No.
dezm0nd

Re: The Binding of Isaac

Post by dezm0nd »

Appreciate the feedback, everyone! Sadly, those posted after Thursday didn't make the show due to time travel not existing just yet.

GO FORTH AND KILL ALL THE PLOPS!
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Still waiting patiently for the Vita / PS3 version.
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

I'll just leave these two videos here... Oh my!

New Basement music.

New Mom boss fight music

The soundtrack has been completed, apparently. Things are definitely moving!

Oh and a new gif testing out some weaponry!

registradus

Post by registradus »

somebody mentioned that the game would look horrific with a more realistic art style:
registradus

Post by registradus »

just checked my in-game stats:
Deaths: 775
Mom Kills: 52
Items: 190
Secrets Found 76/97
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

Vine/video of it running on PS4!

https://vine.co/v/MqKKpiJPXrr
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

Roy42

Post by Roy42 »

I can't be the only person who thinks the faux-retro art just looks kind of…bad, can I?
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

Oh my! New Sheol track "Duress"
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

The game is making some serious progress. The team are experimenting with large rooms (which are secrets)

registradus

Post by registradus »

I think it looks great. can't wait.
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

If only it was ready now! LOOK AT IT! :O