Nintendo switches off Wii and DS online services

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
chase210

Nintendo switches off Wii and DS online services

Post by chase210 »

f you own either (or both!) of Nintendo's last-gen machines, and you use any kind of online service with them, now's the time to make the most of it. Because on May 20, Nintendo is pulling the plug.P

While both console's online stores will remain, other stuff like online play, matchmaking and leaderboards will be shut down.P

Here's the relevant part of the company's statement, as published on Nintendo's Australian site:P

As of May 20th, 2014, the Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection service will be discontinued and it will no longer be possible to use online features of Nintendo DS/DSi and Wii software such as online play, matchmaking and leaderboards.

The Wii Shop Channel and Nintendo DSi Shop will not be affected however, and will continue to be accessible after May 20th.P
Time to dust off that copy of Mario Kart DS for one last run...P

Remember that the statement references software, not hardware, so even if you're running a DS game on a 3DS, or a Wii game on the Wii U, it still won't connect online.P

You can read a list of the affected games here. It obviously impacts many of the biggest titles on both platforms, from Mario Kart to Smash Bros. to Pokemon.P

The full list of stuff that will keep on working past May 20 follows.1P

Internet ChannelP
Nintendo DS BrowserP
Nintendo DSi BrowserP
Nintendo DSi ShopP
Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection Pay & PlayP
Wii Shop ChannelP
YouTubeP
Well this makes me sad :( the end of an era. They never had the best system in fairness, but I had so many good times with it. The very first FPS online was metroid prime hunters, I spent hours on it. My first online racer was mario kart DS. I remember being so crazy excited thinking I was playing with people across the world. And of course, the hours and hours and hours I spent on pokemon, battling online.