What's Out This Week?

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Stanshall

Re: What's Out This Week?

Post by Stanshall »

I'm pretty interested in this Japanese indie shmup, Black Bird.

Looks very unusual and I'll take that most days. It doesn't look or sound very Japanese, either, which is also intriguing.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Woah that looks awesome! And it's made by the Million Onion Hotel people, which means it'll probably be as batshit as it is brilliant. Looking out for this one!
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

Yeah that trailer is very good at showing off that game. Looks bonkers
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

The Unlikely Legend of Rusty Pup is definitely out now. I'm in the credits!! (I did some QA testing for them)

https://store.steampowered.com/app/8006 ... Rusty_Pup/
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

The wait is finally over for RDR2. Goo to see a bunch of games for younguns on here too! I can genuinely see me picking up Paw Patrol at some point before Christmas to play along with little one.

Bass Pro Shops: The Strike – Championship Edition - NS
Cabela's: The Hunt - Championship Edition - NS
Just Dance 2019 - NS, PS4, XBO, X360, WiiU, Wii
Nickelodeon Kart Racers - NS, PS4, XBO
PAW Patrol: On a Roll! - PC NS, PS4, XBO
Thronebreaker: The Witcher Tales - PC
Chicken Range - NS
Castlevania Requiem - PS4
My Hero One's Justice - PC, NS, PS4, XBO
Red Dead Redemption 2 - PS4, XBO
Sinclair Gregstrum

Post by Sinclair Gregstrum »

So I'm not going to pick up RDR2 straight away. Does that make me a bad person?
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Sinclair Gregstrum wrote: October 22nd, 2018, 12:22 pm So I'm not going to pick up RDR2 straight away. Does that make me a bad person?
Nope. Welcome to the club!
Sinclair Gregstrum

KSubzero1000 wrote: October 22nd, 2018, 12:28 pm
Sinclair Gregstrum wrote: October 22nd, 2018, 12:22 pm So I'm not going to pick up RDR2 straight away. Does that make me a bad person?
Nope. Welcome to the club!
It'll be just you and I replying to each other's posts about everything other than Red Dead for the next month or so then :lol:
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Sinclair Gregstrum wrote: October 22nd, 2018, 12:31 pm It'll be just you and I replying to each other's posts about everything other than Red Dead for the next month or so then :lol:
Yeah, probably! :lol:

Out of curiosity, what makes you so hesitant to jump onboard the hype train? Open world fatigue after Spider-Man?
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

I’m not getting RDR at launch either.. I feel like I’ve still got the best part of a month of AC Odyssey to play yet...
Suits

Post by Suits »

Other end of the scale here, I held off putting anymore hours into Horizon in August and not touched any open world games since due to the upcoming RDR2.

My mind, thumbs, eyes, ears and bum are ready for this.

I’m excited.

Booked two days off work as well.
Sinclair Gregstrum

KSubzero1000 wrote: October 22nd, 2018, 12:35 pm
Sinclair Gregstrum wrote: October 22nd, 2018, 12:31 pm It'll be just you and I replying to each other's posts about everything other than Red Dead for the next month or so then :lol:
Yeah, probably! :lol:

Out of curiosity, what makes you so hesitant to jump onboard the hype train? Open world fatigue after Spider-Man?
I think open world fatigue certainly has something to do with it. This year I've played through AC: Origins, Red Dead Redemption and Spider-Man, and for a guy who actually doesn't love open world games all that much that's a lot! It's not that I don't like them of course otherwise I wouldn't have played those games and many more prior. There are just plenty of genres I enjoy equally if not more so, and there's so much else out I'd like to get stuck into right now.

I'm also just not that excited for RDR2 full stop. I don't know why. I had been earlier in the year, but it's just drifted away for whatever reason. I'm very much into the frontier west as a subject matter in general, so it's certainly not that which is turning me off. Maybe when it comes out and the internet's going all bonkers over it I'll get swept along by the wave of hype and pick it up, which I did with Spider-Man and had a fantastic time!

How about you? Why no day one purchase?
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

I am picking up Paw Patrol (Switch) on Friday and not RDR2 :lol:

My 2 year old loves the show so it might be a nice way to introduce gaming.

I enjoyed RDR but I don't have the affection for it most people seem to have. Im also loving Assassins Creed and Yakuza Kiwami 2 so buying it day one seems daft.
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

Absolutely not. I'm sure the industry has groomed us into being part of the rat race for a hot take on the latest game but it's such a nonsense. I'd much rather be part of the conversation of the game a year down the line rather than immediately and thats mostly why i've not bought many games at all this year (that and i've got no money, but I genuinely don't feel left out)

I've just played Evil Within and I feel my opinion is just as valid as those who played it on day 1. It's pretty much the whole philosophy of our website/forum/podcast.

Having said that, I am buying this game day 1 :D
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

DomsBeard wrote: October 22nd, 2018, 2:20 pm
My 2 year old loves the show so it might be a nice way to introduce gaming.
Ivy and myself spent a whole month on Super Mario World. A level or two a day in the mornings to break the "8am boredom"

It's such a good way to introduce gaming and i'm definitely getting that Paw Patrol game, we're just slowly working our way through the remake of Castle of Illusion first. We started that in September!
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Sinclair Gregstrum wrote: October 22nd, 2018, 2:02 pm How about you? Why no day one purchase?
Combination of different factors, really. Open world fatigue is certainly the biggest culprit here - as someone who doesn't like this type of game all that much to begin with and who immediately uninstalled Horizon after spending what felt like an eternity doing a bunch of nothing in it a few weeks ago, I don't really see myself diving into the next one headfirst any time soon. I also rarely buy games at full price these days unless I want to support the developers. And I'm up to my neck in my backlog anyway!

I do like the setting, mind you, very much so. And the first RDR is one of my favorite games of all time. But getting the full package for a third of the price two years from now seems like a wiser investment for me. If only to prevent buyer's remorse.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

It's released on pay day, and I'll struggle to avoid temptation, but I can't really afford it if I'm honest as I need to buy Forza Horizon 4 for my eldests birthday, but that doesn't mean I won't be trying to work out what I can do without this month just to justify a trip down to Game!
stvnorman

Post by stvnorman »

I’m not buying anything on PS4 until I’ve cleared my backlog (Uncharted 1-4, Dishonored, Return to Arkham, Mortal Kombat X, Mafia 3, Mad Max and Rogue Trooper). I hope PS5 is backwards compatible! I will add RDR2 to that list at some point - probably a Christmas present for 2019. I’m quite happy to hear other people talk about it and let it get patched properly until then.

I’m not going to be able to resist Windjammers out on Switch this week though!
duskvstweak

Post by duskvstweak »

A moment of silence for seeing a Castlevania anything happening this week.
Joshihatsumitsu

Post by Joshihatsumitsu »

Red Dead what? :?

Part of skipping, or at least delaying, is the hype-train. The other reason is general ill-will towards companies like Rockstar, EA, Ubisoft etc, especially in light off more recent Telltale tales.

Trying to vote with my money, and support good work practices... probably won't make much difference with RDR 2 though... time will tell.