What's Out This Week?

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future.
Flabyo

Re: What's Out This Week?

Post by Flabyo » July 15th, 2019, 11:13 am

On the ‘games like diablo’ front, probably best to avoid the Warhammer 40k one “Inquisitor’. It’s fun enough, but still feels like massive wasted potential and there are better games out there.

Path of Exile for example.

clippa

Post by clippa » July 15th, 2019, 12:24 pm

I was all over path of exile for a while, the zoomed in camera was always niggling at me though, it wasn't comfortable, felt really claustrophobic, I was constantly flicking my scroll wheel trying to zoom out!
I just had to bail in the end, it just needed to come back a tiny bit and it would have made all the difference. Canny good though, I logged into dropbox for the first time in years to see if I had any screenshots of my cool witch, but there was only this, I had much better internet back in those days.

Wow, proper trip down memory lane.
Effing microsoft points
First ever spelunky win!
First ever 1cc. Deathsmiles.
High score in deathsmiles iix.
Bit harsh!
Speaking of ARPGs, if you're after a new pet name for your winky.
Suits wrote:
July 15th, 2019, 10:54 am
Which seem great for the first few hours then tail off for me dramatically.
Yeah, they're definitely an acquired taste. It's something you have to relax into. You need a compulsive/addictive streak too and some dogged determination to push through those first ten hours or so where your mind will be rejecting the games completely.
I don't like playing them with other people because I get confused, there's always too many effects and stuff flying all over the screen, I lose track of who I am and I like killing the munsters, it's no fun when somebody else is killing the munsters.

clippa

Post by clippa » July 16th, 2019, 9:59 am

Killsquad is looking more like a low effort hit and run the more I look into it.
No key rebinds, saw some stream where everyone agreed it played better with a pad anyway, camera certainly looks tailored for pad play.
People in the reviews saying to play it co-op rather than solo, but not giving reasons so it's hard to know whether they're just saying "evewything's better with fwiends!" or "the game isn't balanced for solo play, don't even bother"
Seems like it's more of a twin stick shooter than an arpg. Still could be fun, but 17 quid seems very steep for what you're getting, particularly in early access.

This guy on the steam forums is accusing the devs of straight up lying about features! Drama!

https://steamcommunity.com/app/910490/d ... 4942551865
Spoiler: show
There is no open world, the mission levels (contracts) are procedural.

They are not procedural. After 3-4 the same contract they always look the same. There are maybe 5 types of missions now and 3 types of maps.

There's loot, weapon upgrades

There is no loot. You can find only materials and currencies during the contract. For most people loot is similiar to Diablo-like games. In Killsquad you have THREE kind of items. Yes, three kind of items and three slots for character. It's not even close to aRPG.

character progression

There is no character progression. During contract you are leveling up your character and chosing upgrades for your skills. Just few of them. THERE IS NO PROGRESSION outside contract, you are not upgrading your character, adding new skills or making them different. Don't lie, guys. Don't lie.
I already have the game thanks to the company that is promoting it and this is very very very very rare situation where I'm very NOT recommending the game in public way before release.
Why am I doing it despite I got access as press guy? Because devs are lying.

As devs said - they want to be 100% transparent, but they are not.

- There's no rich world as they say. 3 maps, without open world, without procedural generated locations, no intro, no lore, no story. They said that every level is procedurally generated. That's not true. Every level is made from 6-7-8 parts that are drawn from maybe 10 kinds. So after 3-4 contracts you see the same map every time.

- There's no progression. You are leveling up only during the mission and start it over again in further missions, no skills to chose, no skill tree as they say. This is huge lie. Progression means upgrades and possibilities. There are none. You have few skills and you cant change them, modify them, build your own character. There are in reality 16 skills, 4 for each class. If we exclude dash and main attack.

- Quote here: customize your character with new skills --- there are NO NEW SKILLS, you have all of them at the start, at once.

- 40 weapons? Another lie. There are 4 kind of weapons for each class. You are always playing the same skill for weapon and the same skill for it. The only difference are stats and skins for these weapons.

- 30 enemies. Another lie. There are maybe 15 of them, another 15 of them are just different skins. In bestiary you can see the same enemy with different color, awesome!

- 12 contracts? In reality there are maybe 6, because "Antenna defense" or "Antenna message" are simply the same with different names

- High replayability. No. Another not true thing. You are doing exact the same 3 maps, with 4-5 kind of enemies in it, all over again. Sometimes you want to farm/grind map for crafting resources but you are NOT getting described things that may drop on the map.

- Quote here: through hordes of monsters --- there are no hordes, only groups of 5-10 monsters in every section of the map, so maybe 50-100 of them during each contract. And you are always fighting against 10 or so monsters, you can't get more of them on the screen!

So, the game is extremally overpriced and full of a bit not-accurate descriptions.

Be aware.

clippa

Post by clippa » July 18th, 2019, 5:50 pm

Well, I gave killsquad a couple of hours and it's terrible.
It's just a really bad twin stick shooter. There needs to be 10 times as many enemies, the rise in difficulty for the harder contracts just makes the enemies more bullet spongy. It's really boring. The foundations are there to make a fun game but I don't think these people know what they're doing.
It's early access but I'd put money on it not getting much better. The gameplay is like something you'd have in a proof of concept or something but they consider it ready for public consumption.
“Current game contains 40 contracts across 3 planets, 4 heroes, 40 weapons, approximately 30 enemies, all to a final state. We will tweak balance, missions, texts, cinematics.”
It's soooo slow, I found myself making this bunch of enemies follow me for 30 seconds until the next bunch spawned just so I could have a slightly more exciting fight. That's not a good sign. Deleted.

dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd » July 21st, 2019, 6:24 am

Beyond: Two Souls (PC) – July 22
Flashback (Android, iOS) – July 22
Rise: Race the Future (Switch) – July 22
Swords & Souls: Neverseen (PC) – July 22
Caravan Stories (PS4) – July 23
Tetris Effect (PC, Rift, Vive) – July 23
Biotope – Steam Early Access (PC) – July 23
Automachef (PC, Switch) – July 23
Must Dash Amigos (PC, Xbox One) – July 23/August 7
Iratus: Lord of the Dead – Steam Early Access (PC) – July 24
Pawarumi (Xbox One, Switch) – July 24
EA Access PS4 launch – July 24
Arma 3 Contact (PC) – July 25
Elea (PS4) – July 25
Super Mega Baseball 2: Ultimate Edition (Switch) – July 25
A Place for the Unwilling (PC) – July 25
Turok: Escape from Lost Valley (PC) – July 25
Fantasy Strike (PS4, Switch) – July 25
Smoots Summer Games (PS4, Xbox One, Switch) – July 25
Raiden 5: Director’s Cut (Switch) – July 25
Songbird Symphony (PC, PS4, Switch) – July 25
Kill La Kill – If (PC, PS4, Switch) – July 25
Wolfenstein: Youngblood (PC, PS4, Xbox One, Switch) – July 26
Fire Emblem: Three Houses (Switch) – July 26
Unlucky Seven (PC) – July 26
Tetsumo Party (PC, PS4, Xbox One, Switch) – July 26
Wolfenstein: Cyberpilot (Vive, PS VR) – July 26
Mutant Year Zero: Road to Eden (Switch) – July 30
Forager (PS4, Switch) – July 30
Morphies Law (PC) – July 30
The Blackout Club (PS4, Xbox One) – July 30
Warhammer 40,000: Inquisitor – Prophecy (PC) – July 30
The Executioner (PC) – July 31
London Detective Mysteria (PC) – July 31
Lucah: Born of a Dream (Switch) – July
Saboteur 2: Avenging Angel (PC, Switch) – July

dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd » July 21st, 2019, 6:25 am

Someone said there's a gaming drought on......?

Chopper

Post by Chopper » July 21st, 2019, 6:55 am

Jaysus....

Mutant Year Zero is very good, if a little one-note (the idea is you can sneak around the map taking out the satellite baddies first, before engaging the main group in turn-based combat).

I imagine Super Mega Baseball 2 is very good, though I still haven't bought it myself. Perfect for Switch as it is pick up and play.

Tetris Effect's price point is not being received well by PC gamers.....

dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd » July 21st, 2019, 9:41 am

Really hopeful for Wolfenstein. Enjoyed all the new ones so far

Scrustle

Post by Scrustle » July 21st, 2019, 5:11 pm

I've been hearing some very positive rumblings about Lucah: Born of a Dream for a long time. It seems like something worth taking a look at, but I'm not too sure on it myself. Supposedly it covers some very unique topics, and has some interesting gameplay ideas too. It has a very striking look to it too, but that's something that I'm not entirely sure I'm on board with. The game clearly looks exactly how it was intended, but it's somewhat visually abrasive. It also seems like it's not a particularly forgiving game too. But I might give it a shot anyway.

duskvstweak

Post by duskvstweak » July 24th, 2019, 5:47 pm

I don't have VR but I'm excited to check out Tetris Effect anyway!

ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion » July 24th, 2019, 6:21 pm

You absolutely don’t need VR to love Tetris Effect.

Stanshall

Post by Stanshall » July 24th, 2019, 7:22 pm

Totally agree. After the initial excitement of playing it in VR, I've since settled for the 4K HDR experience every time. It's a stunning flat screen game.

clippa

Post by clippa » July 24th, 2019, 11:03 pm

It's actually a really good version of tetris, but it's a shame there's no way to turn off all the flashy effects. They're really distracting, even with everything turned right down in the options, you can't just have a straight, clean playarea.
When the game starts getting really fast, you don't want anything taking your eye off the ball, bloody fish jumping about behind the blocks and the blocks spinning around and shit. Come on, mate!

If you could make it so all that was going on at the sides, and the play area was kept clean, at least, I think I'd be less bothered by it.
Did anyone feel like this at first and ended up getting used to it? I don't know which level it was, 2nd or 3rd but there was one with japanese fans or something twirling in the background and that was really putting me off.

I know it's rich coming from someone who'll happily play stuff like shmups and nex machina, I like playing tetris on keyboard, so that won't be helping.
Is this more for just chilling out rather than rolling up your sleeves and going for, going for gold? I don't know if I can play tetris like that. I don't think I can play many games like that, even stardew valley, you should see my farm on that, not an inch of land wasted, I run around making every second of the day count, yanking plants out of the ground, pulling the udders off of my cows. Tearing around like an absolute maniac.

Ha, moosmuch farm! I forgot I called it that. That's pretty shit.

dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd » July 28th, 2019, 1:24 pm

Collapsed (PC) – August 1
Forged of Blood (PC) – August 1
Lightstep Chronicles (PC) – August 1
The Black Widow (PC, iOS, Android) – August 1
Chroma Squad (Switch) – August 1
Raiders of the Lost Island – Steam Early Access (PC) – August 1
Pandemic (Xbox One, Switch) – August 1
Jupiter Hell – Steam Early Access (PC) – August 1
Hamsterdam (PC, Switch, Android, iOS) – August 1
Madden NFL 20 (PC, PS4, Xbox One) – August 2
Dry Drowning (PC) – August 2
The Church in the Darkness (PC, PS4, Xbox One, Switch) – August 2

stvnorman

Post by stvnorman » July 29th, 2019, 8:43 pm

Saboteur 2 finally comes to Switch this week. If you can wait, I got the original for about 99p fairly soon after release so I guess the same will happen here.

What I actually wanted to mention was Forager - very interesting 2D Zelda meets Harvest Moon meets Minecraft type thing. It’s out on Switch tomorrow, 30 July and possibly PS4 and possibly already out on PC. More info and trailer here: https://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/forager-switch/

clippa

Post by clippa » July 29th, 2019, 10:31 pm

It plays more like a grindy clicker than anything the trailers make it seem. I'd recommend giving the demo a go before you part with your cash - https://hopfrog.itch.io/forager-demo

Wow, the saboteur games, that takes me back, used to love those so much on the speccy. Graphics were genuinely wowsome at the time. I remember being impressed by anything that had big sprites like that.
I remember when I was dead little my teacher asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up and I went "a saboteur"
and she goes "oh ... what would you sabotage?"
and I went "No. Sab-o-teur" like she'd pronounced it wrong.
and she said "I meant what would you destroy" and I felt my face going red because I'd made a mistake.
"... enemy bases" I decided.

That was the same teacher, we were doing something about them building early railroads in the olden days and we had to draw a picture and I did one where the guy had a DIY manual in his bag and someone was getting a hammer on the bonce and she absolutely bollocked me for not taking it seriously. I didn't know! I didn't understand why it was an issue.

Ha, that reminds me, for homework we had to pick an animal we liked and draw a picture and I got this book out of the library about guinea pigs and there was a picture with two of them mating and I copied that, and I exaggerated the shocked expression on the girls face a bit. I handed it to the teacher looking all innocent and I saw him stifle a giggle and say "go and show mrs Neil", that same teacher.
I saw her smirk and go "yes, that's very good, well done steven" and hand it back.
I'd won them over! They just wanted something a little bluer, that's all.

stvnorman

Post by stvnorman » July 30th, 2019, 6:34 am

clippa wrote:
July 29th, 2019, 10:31 pm
It plays more like a grindy clicker than anything the trailers make it seem. I'd recommend giving the demo a go before you part with your cash - https://hopfrog.itch.io/forager-demo
Thanks for that. I’m only on MAC unfortunately so will have to wait for some reviews. I saw it’s £20 on Switch which is not impulse buy for me.

Thanks for the stories too!

clippa

Post by clippa » July 30th, 2019, 9:03 am

Probably not worth the bother looking into it just to try a demo, but if you're familiar with wine and have it installed already, might be worth a try - https://old.reddit.com/r/Forager/commen ... er_on_mac/

I link to these demos and stuff thinking that people must have a pc since they're surfing the net, they just choose not to use them for gaming.
Of course, that's not the case, you have linux and macOS, tablets, phones, heck, people can probably browse the net on their smartfridges these days, I'd imagine.

stvnorman

Post by stvnorman » July 31st, 2019, 12:22 pm

clippa wrote:
July 30th, 2019, 9:03 am
Probably not worth the bother looking into it just to try a demo, but if you're familiar with wine and have it installed already, might be worth a try - https://old.reddit.com/r/Forager/commen ... er_on_mac/
Absolutely no chance I’ll do that, but really appreciate the thought!

dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd » August 3rd, 2019, 2:34 pm

Silver Chains (PC) – August 6
DC Universe Online (Switch) – August 6
Hearthstone: Saviors of Uldum (PC, Mobile) – August 6
Metal Wolf Chaos XD (PC, PS4, Xbox One) – August 6
Age of Wonders: Planetfall (PC, PS4, Xbox One) – August 6
Run Roll Rumble (PC) – August 7
The Forbidden Arts (PC, Xbox One, Switch) – August 7
Legends of Aria – Steam Early Access (PC) – August 7
Stone Story RPG – Steam Early Access (PC) – August 8
Steel Circus – Steam Early Access (PC) – August 8
Sudoku Universe (Switch) – August 8
Pillars of Eternity: Complete Edition (Switch) – August 8
The Lord of the Rings: Adventure Card Game (PC, PS4, Xbox One, Switch) – August 8
Turok 2: Seeds of Evil (Switch) – August 9
Taimumari: Complete Edition (Switch) – August 9