What's Out This Week?

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future.
dezm0nd

Re: What's Out This Week?

Post by dezm0nd » July 21st, 2019, 6:25 am

Someone said there's a gaming drought on......?

Chopper

Post by Chopper » July 21st, 2019, 6:55 am

Jaysus....

Mutant Year Zero is very good, if a little one-note (the idea is you can sneak around the map taking out the satellite baddies first, before engaging the main group in turn-based combat).

I imagine Super Mega Baseball 2 is very good, though I still haven't bought it myself. Perfect for Switch as it is pick up and play.

Tetris Effect's price point is not being received well by PC gamers.....

dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd » July 21st, 2019, 9:41 am

Really hopeful for Wolfenstein. Enjoyed all the new ones so far

Scrustle

Post by Scrustle » July 21st, 2019, 5:11 pm

I've been hearing some very positive rumblings about Lucah: Born of a Dream for a long time. It seems like something worth taking a look at, but I'm not too sure on it myself. Supposedly it covers some very unique topics, and has some interesting gameplay ideas too. It has a very striking look to it too, but that's something that I'm not entirely sure I'm on board with. The game clearly looks exactly how it was intended, but it's somewhat visually abrasive. It also seems like it's not a particularly forgiving game too. But I might give it a shot anyway.

duskvstweak

Post by duskvstweak » July 24th, 2019, 5:47 pm

I don't have VR but I'm excited to check out Tetris Effect anyway!

ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion » July 24th, 2019, 6:21 pm

You absolutely don’t need VR to love Tetris Effect.

Stanshall

Post by Stanshall » July 24th, 2019, 7:22 pm

Totally agree. After the initial excitement of playing it in VR, I've since settled for the 4K HDR experience every time. It's a stunning flat screen game.

clippa

Post by clippa » July 24th, 2019, 11:03 pm

It's actually a really good version of tetris, but it's a shame there's no way to turn off all the flashy effects. They're really distracting, even with everything turned right down in the options, you can't just have a straight, clean playarea.
When the game starts getting really fast, you don't want anything taking your eye off the ball, bloody fish jumping about behind the blocks and the blocks spinning around and shit. Come on, mate!

If you could make it so all that was going on at the sides, and the play area was kept clean, at least, I think I'd be less bothered by it.
Did anyone feel like this at first and ended up getting used to it? I don't know which level it was, 2nd or 3rd but there was one with japanese fans or something twirling in the background and that was really putting me off.

I know it's rich coming from someone who'll happily play stuff like shmups and nex machina, I like playing tetris on keyboard, so that won't be helping.
Is this more for just chilling out rather than rolling up your sleeves and going for, going for gold? I don't know if I can play tetris like that. I don't think I can play many games like that, even stardew valley, you should see my farm on that, not an inch of land wasted, I run around making every second of the day count, yanking plants out of the ground, pulling the udders off of my cows. Tearing around like an absolute maniac.

Ha, moosmuch farm! I forgot I called it that. That's pretty shit.

dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd » July 28th, 2019, 1:24 pm

Collapsed (PC) – August 1
Forged of Blood (PC) – August 1
Lightstep Chronicles (PC) – August 1
The Black Widow (PC, iOS, Android) – August 1
Chroma Squad (Switch) – August 1
Raiders of the Lost Island – Steam Early Access (PC) – August 1
Pandemic (Xbox One, Switch) – August 1
Jupiter Hell – Steam Early Access (PC) – August 1
Hamsterdam (PC, Switch, Android, iOS) – August 1
Madden NFL 20 (PC, PS4, Xbox One) – August 2
Dry Drowning (PC) – August 2
The Church in the Darkness (PC, PS4, Xbox One, Switch) – August 2

stvnorman

Post by stvnorman » July 29th, 2019, 8:43 pm

Saboteur 2 finally comes to Switch this week. If you can wait, I got the original for about 99p fairly soon after release so I guess the same will happen here.

What I actually wanted to mention was Forager - very interesting 2D Zelda meets Harvest Moon meets Minecraft type thing. It’s out on Switch tomorrow, 30 July and possibly PS4 and possibly already out on PC. More info and trailer here: https://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/forager-switch/

clippa

Post by clippa » July 29th, 2019, 10:31 pm

It plays more like a grindy clicker than anything the trailers make it seem. I'd recommend giving the demo a go before you part with your cash - https://hopfrog.itch.io/forager-demo

Wow, the saboteur games, that takes me back, used to love those so much on the speccy. Graphics were genuinely wowsome at the time. I remember being impressed by anything that had big sprites like that.
I remember when I was dead little my teacher asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up and I went "a saboteur"
and she goes "oh ... what would you sabotage?"
and I went "No. Sab-o-teur" like she'd pronounced it wrong.
and she said "I meant what would you destroy" and I felt my face going red because I'd made a mistake.
"... enemy bases" I decided.

That was the same teacher, we were doing something about them building early railroads in the olden days and we had to draw a picture and I did one where the guy had a DIY manual in his bag and someone was getting a hammer on the bonce and she absolutely bollocked me for not taking it seriously. I didn't know! I didn't understand why it was an issue.

Ha, that reminds me, for homework we had to pick an animal we liked and draw a picture and I got this book out of the library about guinea pigs and there was a picture with two of them mating and I copied that, and I exaggerated the shocked expression on the girls face a bit. I handed it to the teacher looking all innocent and I saw him stifle a giggle and say "go and show mrs Neil", that same teacher.
I saw her smirk and go "yes, that's very good, well done steven" and hand it back.
I'd won them over! They just wanted something a little bluer, that's all.

stvnorman

Post by stvnorman » July 30th, 2019, 6:34 am

clippa wrote:
July 29th, 2019, 10:31 pm
It plays more like a grindy clicker than anything the trailers make it seem. I'd recommend giving the demo a go before you part with your cash - https://hopfrog.itch.io/forager-demo
Thanks for that. I’m only on MAC unfortunately so will have to wait for some reviews. I saw it’s £20 on Switch which is not impulse buy for me.

Thanks for the stories too!

clippa

Post by clippa » July 30th, 2019, 9:03 am

Probably not worth the bother looking into it just to try a demo, but if you're familiar with wine and have it installed already, might be worth a try - https://old.reddit.com/r/Forager/commen ... er_on_mac/

I link to these demos and stuff thinking that people must have a pc since they're surfing the net, they just choose not to use them for gaming.
Of course, that's not the case, you have linux and macOS, tablets, phones, heck, people can probably browse the net on their smartfridges these days, I'd imagine.

stvnorman

Post by stvnorman » July 31st, 2019, 12:22 pm

clippa wrote:
July 30th, 2019, 9:03 am
Probably not worth the bother looking into it just to try a demo, but if you're familiar with wine and have it installed already, might be worth a try - https://old.reddit.com/r/Forager/commen ... er_on_mac/
Absolutely no chance I’ll do that, but really appreciate the thought!

dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd » August 3rd, 2019, 2:34 pm

Silver Chains (PC) – August 6
DC Universe Online (Switch) – August 6
Hearthstone: Saviors of Uldum (PC, Mobile) – August 6
Metal Wolf Chaos XD (PC, PS4, Xbox One) – August 6
Age of Wonders: Planetfall (PC, PS4, Xbox One) – August 6
Run Roll Rumble (PC) – August 7
The Forbidden Arts (PC, Xbox One, Switch) – August 7
Legends of Aria – Steam Early Access (PC) – August 7
Stone Story RPG – Steam Early Access (PC) – August 8
Steel Circus – Steam Early Access (PC) – August 8
Sudoku Universe (Switch) – August 8
Pillars of Eternity: Complete Edition (Switch) – August 8
The Lord of the Rings: Adventure Card Game (PC, PS4, Xbox One, Switch) – August 8
Turok 2: Seeds of Evil (Switch) – August 9
Taimumari: Complete Edition (Switch) – August 9

KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 » August 5th, 2019, 7:27 pm

I'm getting pretty hyped for this.

I've always been really disappointed that the original somehow never made it out of Japan and remained stranded on the region-locked OG Xbox. But the game itself seems like a lot of fun. The dope 6th gen gameplay I live for, hilarious political satire and even a soupçon of Solidus Swag sprinkled on top of it. Really glad Devolver decided to localize this one out of all possible games to pick from.

I'm in. Anyone else? :)

ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion » August 5th, 2019, 7:42 pm

Yip

Chopper

Post by Chopper » August 6th, 2019, 8:23 am

dezm0nd wrote:
August 3rd, 2019, 2:34 pm
Age of Wonders: Planetfall (PC, PS4, Xbox One) – August 6
This is reviewing very well and is also out for console(!), so I'm conflicted. It combines a tactical (think XCOM) and strategic (Civ, Endless Legend) layer and may be the only 4X on console which does so, so I'd like to 'support' it.

At the same time, the console version may have issues like lag in menus and difficulty distinguishing units without sitting right in front of the TV (as per the Sixth Axis review, the only console review I've found so far).

Added to that, I've more than halved my gaming spend this year by playing more on PC, and I'm conflicted. I could just go and play loads of other games and wait for this to come down in price.

dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd » August 10th, 2019, 6:00 pm

Emberlight (PC) – August 13
Dicey Dungeons (PC) – August 13
Friday the 13th: The Game (Switch) – August 13
Exception (PC, PS4, Xbox One, Switch) – August 13
Rebel Galaxy Outlaw (PC) – August 13
Never Give Up (PC, Switch) – August 13
Warhammer: Vermintide 2 – Winds of Magic (PC) – 13
The Great Perhaps (PC) – August 14
Fell Seal: Arbiter’s Mark (Switch) – August 14
Exploding Babies – Steam Early Access (PC) – August 15
Ion Fury – official launch (PC) – August 15
Witcheye (Android, iOS) – August 15
Darq (PC) – August 15
Shortest Trip to Earth – official launch (PC) – August 15
Vasara Collection (Switch) – August 15
Hot Shot Burn – Steam Early Access (PC) – August 15
Train Sim World 2020 (PC, PS4, Xbox One) – August 15
Zeus Begins (PC) – August 16
Grandia HD Collection (Switch) – August 16
Emma: Lost in Memories (PC, iOS, Android) – August 16

duskvstweak

Post by duskvstweak » August 12th, 2019, 2:40 pm

I'm sure if you have a Switch and you like that type of game, you're playing Fire Emblem, but Fell Seal: Arbiter’s Mark is totally worth a look.