What's Out This Week?

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
duskvstweak

Re: What's Out This Week?

Post by duskvstweak »

Should be obvious but, if you haven't played Ori and the Blind Forest, do so!
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

I haven't, I might grab the demo on Switch.
Suits

Post by Suits »

I didn’t get on with Ori as much as others did.

Similar sort of tale with a Hollow Knight.
RetroClarence

Post by RetroClarence »

I'm interested in Dragon's Quest. I've never played a Dragon's Quest game, despite loving old school JRPGs!
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

Suits wrote: September 23rd, 2019, 9:09 pm I didn’t get on with Ori as much as others did.

And me. Loved everything about Ori but got bored of the jumping around after a while. Seem to struggle with 2D stuff nowadays don't know why. Soundtrack is great for Ori by the way
duskvstweak

Post by duskvstweak »

DomsBeard wrote: September 24th, 2019, 3:36 pm
Suits wrote: September 23rd, 2019, 9:09 pm I didn’t get on with Ori as much as others did.

And me. Loved everything about Ori but got bored of the jumping around after a while. Seem to struggle with 2D stuff nowadays don't know why. Soundtrack is great for Ori by the way
Interesting!

I loved Ori gameplay-wise. Loved jumping around and the whole metroid-vania of it all. Hollow Knight is great but something about it kept me from loving it. Comparing the two, I think Hollow Knight's backtracking wore on me a bit, whereas that was an issue for me with Ori.

Dom, do you think you're experiencing a bit of "I've seen it all" with 2D stuff?
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

duskvstweak wrote: September 24th, 2019, 4:34 pm Dom, do you think you're experiencing a bit of "I've seen it all" with 2D stuff?
I know this isn't aimed at me, and I apologise if it's poor form to answer somebody else's question, but I wouldn't necessarily agree that this is a 'thing'. I've played countless 2D Metroidvania type games, and still get blown away by an exceptional one. Hollow Knight I absolutely adored. I would concede with that one perhaps, that my own circumstances may have impacted my feelings on that game. I was in a real depression when I played it, and perversely, sinking in to that world of melancholy seemed to be exactly what I wanted at the time. I loved just getting totally immersed, and I wasn't at work for a few weeks and just took the kids to nursery every morning and came home to shut myself off from the world and get lost in that underground kingdom until it was time to pick them up.

I've also almost finished Super Metroid too this week, and absolutely loved it. So I think although I've seen a lot of what the genre has to offer, there are still gems out there.

You could say the same about JRPGs, open world games and platformers etc too.

I guess some games, despite the 'general' consensus being overwhelmingly positive, just don't click with everyone.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

If I may also offer my two cents on that topic, I think part of the issue for me is that the growth of the indie scene may have over-saturated the market with a lot of 2D games, considering how comparatively easy they are to make for smaller development studios.

It feels like every other week there is another great 2D indie game worth checking out, usually either a puzzle-platformer, action-platformer or Metroidvania. And a lot of them try to distinguish themselves by superimposing one cool new element or concept on top of a very safe and familiar premise. I like those games too, but there's like an embarrassment of similar riches at play and I just don't really know where to begin. It may not be a very fair statement to make but I often feel like "I've seen it all" even without actually playing most of them.

Suffice to say, I don't have the issue with any of my other favorite genres.
duskvstweak

Post by duskvstweak »

I hope no one things I'm disparaging 2D games! They tend to be the ones I look forward to the most. I never really moved into 3D with my platformers. But, yeah, like KSub mentioned, there's just so many coming out all the time, I could see someone getting a bit tired of the genre.
I mean, I was playing Dead Cells, I'm planning on the Messenger next and I want to get to Axiom Verge...but I could see that burning out some gamers pretty quickly.
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

Personally, I have more than had my fill of 2D action platformy rogueish dash button, skill tree, accessory slot, looty Metroidvania whatchamacallits. I generally love the artwork and music but I've tried so many and they're so mechanically similar, that gameplay doesn't excite me any more.

My favourite, probably because it was short enough for me to finish and condensed enough for me not to get bored backtracking, was Momodora: Reverie Under the Moonlight. Very Soulsborney in atmosphere and the music was gorgeous in places. I did enjoy Dead Cells for a little while, too, though I never finished it in ten hours so fair flipping play to @dusky for battering it on his twelfth run!

Maybe that's why I don't like them, I am utterly shit at them.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

I have a weird relationship with modern Metrodvania’s.

Bloodstained (The 3d one, not the nes style throwback one) I’m loving, even if it is just a remix of a symphony of the night at heart.

Timespinner I thought was fantastic, it did some really fun things with it’s plot and how that drove mechnics.

Hollow Knight I got super bored of very quickly, maybe it’s cause I couldn’t find any weapon upgrades, but every boss fight I got to in that game was a painful grind and I just couldn’t be arsed with it anymore.

I think I want my ‘vania games to be more about the exploring than precision mechanical mastery.
stvnorman

Post by stvnorman »

Really enjoyed the demo, will definitely buy at some point, but I’ve got Super Metroid on the go, just finished Symphony of the Night, and Bloodstained, Hollow Knight and Owlboy weren’t that long ago, so I’m also a bit frazzled from these! Everyone should download the demo though. It’s a visual feast if nothing else!
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

Thinking about it, the more a Metroidvania borrows from Dark souls, the less I seem to like it.

I really don’t like the Souls games.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

clippa wrote: September 26th, 2019, 2:07 amSometimes it's absolutely the right choice. It's great for immersion, wanking simulators...
Fnar, Fnar.

Etc.

Autocorrect can expose a lot about someone.

:lol:
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

Archeage: Unchained (PC) – September 30
3rd Eye (PC) – September 30
Sniper Elite 3 Ultimate Edition (Switch) – October 1
Call of Duty: Mobile (Android, iOS) – October 1
80 Days (Switch) – October 1
What the Golf? (PC) – October 1
Ghost Recon Breakpoint Gold/Ultimate early access (PC, PS4, Xbox One) – October 1
Destiny 2: Shadowkeep (PC, PS4, Xbox One, Stadia) – October 1
Destiny 2: New Light (PC, PS4, Xbox One) – October 1
Yu-No: A Girl Who Chants Love at the Bound of this World (PC, PS4, Switch) – October 1
Warsaw (PC) – October 2
The Long Return (PC) – October 3
Paranoia: Happiness is Mandatory (PC) – October 3
The Wild Eight – official launch (PC) – October 3
Neo Cab (PC, Switch) – October 3
The Tiny Bang Story (Switch) – October 4
Ghost Recon Breakpoint (PC, PS4, Xbox One) – October 4
Ghostbusters: The Video Game Remastered (PC, PS4, Xbox One, Switch) – October 4
Suits

Post by Suits »

Finally a week nothing is coming out that I want to pick up immediately 😄.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Ghostbusters is an odd pick for a remaster, isn't it? Just didn't seem like anyone was really asking for that one. I wonder if it'll sell much. I played the demo of the game first time round and wasn't overly taken with it, but I remember there being positive chatter generally around it.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

It was actually pretty good, though the 360 version didn’t get a pal release... (I had a us copy. Lent it to a friend at work, and when he brought it back someone stole it from my desk... so yay...)
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

The 360 version did get a PAL release, it was just delayed until November (2009). You can get it on eBay for around £10.
stvnorman

Post by stvnorman »

Super Crate Box has finally released on Switch. Less than £4 and feels right at home on there. Very recommended.