What's Out This Week?

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Stanshall

Re: What's Out This Week?

Post by Stanshall »

Oh, it's absolutely impossible, no way suggesting you've missed anything. Just highlighting one which I've been keeping an eye on out of the avalanche of eShop junk. Cheers!
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

Hah, yeah I realised my post was a bit knobbish. Just the symptom of being up early! :)
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

Not at all. I'm conscious that posting in this thread always looks like 'rrreeeeeee how could you miss this??!!' but I will never mean it like that, honest. :D Have a good un.
Joshihatsumitsu

Post by Joshihatsumitsu »

Stanshall wrote: February 17th, 2019, 6:54 am Devil Engine is another to look out for, very fast paced and chaotic horizontal shmup which gives me some Thunder Force vibes. Switch launch trailer below:

Coming to Switch and PC on the 21st Feb.
Hmmm... attention caught! There are influences, but it seems to be doing it's own thing with them.
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

Anno 1800 (PC) – February 26
Trials Rising (PC, PS4, Xbox One, Switch) - February 26
Townsmen – A Kingdom Rebuilt (PC) – February 26
Rad Rodgers: Radical Edition (Switch) – February 26
8-Bit Invaders (PS4, Xbox One) – February 26
Touhou Luna Nights – official launch (PC) – February 26
Dirt Rally 2.0 (PC, PS4, Xbox One) – February 26
Stellaris: Console Edition (PS4, Xbox One) – February 26
Nier: Automata – Game of the Yorha Edition (PC, PS4) – February 26
PlanTechtor (Rift, Vive) – February 27
Overcome (PC) – February 27
Million to One Hero – Steam Early Access (PC) – February 27
Beacon – Steam Early Access (PC) – February 27
Ape Out (PC, Switch) – February 28
Space Engineers – official launch (PC) – February 28
Deltarune: Chapter 1 (PS4, Switch) – February 28
Fimbul (PC, PS4, Xbox One, Switch) – February 28
Blast Zone Tournament (PC, PS4, Xbox One) – February 28
Battlloon (PC, Switch) – February 28
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

Stellaris coming to consoles is interesting. It’s apparently required a lot of changes to make it work, so we’ll see if that paradox magic will survive the transition. (Cause I’d love to see the madness of crusader kings on console...)
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

I'm very curious about these 8-bit RTS games.

One looks like Command and Conquer, one looks like Warcraft 2 and this final one looks like Starcraft.

Im hoping theyre more than just looks and are genuinely good games. Will have to have a nosey when 8 bit Armies is cheap enough for me
Chopper

Post by Chopper »

Flabyo wrote: February 24th, 2019, 5:57 pm Stellaris coming to consoles is interesting. It’s apparently required a lot of changes to make it work, so we’ll see if that paradox magic will survive the transition. (Cause I’d love to see the madness of crusader kings on console...)
Yes, this is kind of fascinating to me, whether they can make it work. In addition to possible console-centric changes, the game itself has changed appreciably on PC since it was released; for example it launched with several different space-travel technologies such as space lanes, wormholes etc, but these were removed (at least to start) in order to balance the game better (I'm thinking multiplayer), and players were only given space lane travel at the beginning. And there has been all the usual Paradox tinkering/wholesale changes since launch. I'm half-tempted by it, if I had any gaming time. I put 100 hours into the PC version and enjoyed it very much.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

From what I can tell it’s not fully up to date with where the pc build is, but is only a few versions behind.

There’s a piece on Polygon that suggests the console version controls are pretty decent, and that nothing has really been dropped to make it work.

Very tempted, though I’ve not found a 4x that’s really held my attention for a few years now, I’ve not really had a powerful enough desktop pc/Mac to try most of the newer ones.
Chopper

Post by Chopper »

Ah, from that article:
Detail overall is a bit of an issue, but not a dealbreaker so long as you have a big enough television. With my 50-inch HD TV, I can just barely make out the game’s smaller text. Anything smaller than that and you’re going to have an issue reading from across the room.
Ah, this was my fear. I don't like big tellys, 40" is my preference, so that probably sinks it for me. Unless I sit in front of the TV on my office chair :D

Depending on whether your PC's graphics card or CPU is outdated - I (unknowingly) played the first 20 hours on a laptop with a defunct graphics card, and the integrated card was no issue at all - so your PC might be able to run it.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

Trust me, it won’t. (It’s a 5 year old Mac mini)
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

From the 1st to the 8th. Missed a few from last weeks post

Dead or Alive 6 (PC, PS4, Xbox One) – March 1
ToeJam & Earl: Back in the Groove (PC, PS4, Xbox One, Switch) – March 1
The Division 2 open beta (PC, PS4, Xbox One) – March 1
Fantasy Blacksmith – Steam Early Access (PC) – March 1
Riddled Corpses EX (Switch) – March 2
Black Desert Online (Xbox One) – March 4
Left Alive (PC, PS4) – March 5
Move or Die (PS4) – March 5
Beat Cop (PS4, Xbox One Switch) – March 5
Attack of the Earthlings (PS4, Xbox One) – March 5
The Occupation (PC, PS4, Xbox One) – March 5
Undead Horde – Steam Early Access (PC) – March 6
Ethereal (PC) – March 7
Valley (Switch) – March 7
Braveland Trilogy (Switch) – March 7
Tick Tock: A Tale for Two (PC, Android, iOS) – March 7
Devil May Cry 5 (PC, PS4, Xbox One) – March 8
Kirby’s Extra Epic Yarn (3DS) – March 8
Double – official launch (PC) – March 8
Assault Android Cactus Plus (Switch) – March 8
Chopper

Post by Chopper »

Black Desert Online is an interesting one, if anybody is curious about trying out an accessible MMO. The base package seems to be less than a tenner.

It has a really fascinating labour/logistics network, where you can hire workers to supply raw materials and craft the finished products into stuff you can sell on the marketplace.

I can't comment on anything else as it remains the only MMO I've played and I don't really understand the mechanics of grouping up and doing stuff. But there seemed to be lots and lots of content.
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

I have Left Alive and The Occupation arriving tomorrow.
chase210

Post by chase210 »

I'm musing on Kirby's epic yarn. I don't want to play it right this second but I think I will in the future, and if I wait it'll probably shoot up in price.
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

End of console games tend not to get a re-print...
Suits

Post by Suits »

The 3DS version looks a little bit too dark and texture-less though sadly 😕 - compared to the Wii version anyway.

A big strength of that game is the aesthetic and not being able to see the twist and fuzz is a shame.

Also, the complete lack of 3D visuals has also put me off further.

I was going to pick this up but I’m not sure now.

You could easily pick up a Wii console and the Wii version of the game for cheaper.
Magical_Isopod

Post by Magical_Isopod »

Picking up Left Alive either this morning after work or tonight after I've slept.

Also, I would most definitely not buy Valley on Switch. Phenomenal game, but the Switch is definitely not powerful enough to run that game properly, unless they've somehow optimized the shit out of it and scaled down the graphics.
Magical_Isopod

Post by Magical_Isopod »

Just had a quick look at Metacritic and the user reviews are kinda funny. Literally all the negative ones are negative because "It's a stealth game with no takedowns". Well... Yeah. The entire point is to tell a fictional story with a certain degree of realism. Assassin's Creed isn't real life.

No idea if the game's good or not, but that gave me a chuckle.
Magical_Isopod

Post by Magical_Isopod »

Actually, looking at the Steam reviews, I think I'll just ask for my deposit back. Yikes. Apparently it runs like absolute garbage on PC, and is already half-price in Japan due to poor sales and reception. I'll wait til it's cheap, that's really too bad... Maybe I'll stream Gun Hazard instead.