What's Out This Week?

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
dezm0nd

Re: What's Out This Week?

Post by dezm0nd »

Indeed. It kinda flies in the face of what the industry wants you to do but sometimes you just know that seeing next to nothing of a game is the best way to go in.

Expectations are in check and you'll be surprised more often than not! Hope its a goodun
Magical_Isopod

Post by Magical_Isopod »

Honestly, Sekiro sort of seems like it's flying under the radar. I'm not sure if maybe people are just getting tired of Soulslikes, or is Activision is doing a poor job advertising it, but the prerelease hype isn't anywhere near what it was for Bloodborne.

Though to be fair, I don't really pay attention to those sorts of games, so it may just be that it's not in my "sphere" of gaming.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

It sounds like Sekiro is ‘difficult like Dark Souls, only more so’.

So I’m even less likely to try it than I was when I last saw it... not the sort of thing I enjoy at all.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Flabyo wrote: March 22nd, 2019, 10:00 am It sounds like Sekiro is ‘difficult like Dark Souls, only more so’.
Actually from what I understand, it appears to be closer to Ninja Gaiden in its gameplay and type of challenge. Which might explain why so many Souls veterans are having so much trouble with it.

But yeah, that's even more niche. I reckon many people will bounce off of it if that's indeed the case. Very curious to see how that's gonna translate into sales...
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

Magical_Isopod wrote: March 22nd, 2019, 9:25 am Honestly, Sekiro sort of seems like it's flying under the radar.
Maybe in the fuckin boonies, mate! :D

I feel like it's dominated my entire existence this past week. Cannot wait to get home. I wanted to play this morning when my cat woke me up at 4am but then I had to clean her furball sick off the new carpets for two hours before my wife woke up. Feeling like an absolute werewolf now after half a dozen coffees and can't wait to start chopping heads.

And then go home to play Sekiro!
Magical_Isopod

Post by Magical_Isopod »

To be fair, I *do* live in an actual swamp. Am swamp people. Bradford sits on the edge of a drained lake basin called the Holland Marsh - and it's basically murder on structures of any kind. Anything older than 50 years or so has major structural damage because of how unstable the land is. But it's close to Toronto, so of course people have built on it anyway! Down on Canal Rd, it literally looks like the impoverished American South, aside from a small handful of new houses the farmers own.

So yes. I am in the boonies. Henlo.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

I’m perfectly willing to accept it’s not for me, I’m enjoying seeing people get hype for it though.

I just hope it doesn’t become another game that people keep constantly telling me I *have* to play, heh.

(I still don’t really understand why I bounced off both Demon’s Souls and Dark Souls when i really liked Dragons Dogma, but such is the mystery of life)
Magical_Isopod

Post by Magical_Isopod »

Flabyo wrote: March 22nd, 2019, 1:15 pm I’m perfectly willing to accept it’s not for me, I’m enjoying seeing people get hype for it though.

I just hope it doesn’t become another game that people keep constantly telling me I *have* to play, heh.

(I still don’t really understand why I bounced off both Demon’s Souls and Dark Souls when i really liked Dragons Dogma, but such is the mystery of life)
I have finally stopped listening to the "must play' crowd, because I'm really coming to understand that what defines a "classic" is less about the quality of a game, and more about how much press it gets. Like, my GOTY is Metro Exodus. My GOTY last year was Iconoclasts. Neither of these games got much attention at all. But things like Breath of the Wild, Red Dead Redemption, Shadow of the Colossus, Undertale, these are all games I'm "supposed" to like, but all of them have critical flaws that no one ever talks about - as though certain games are elevated to sainthood by some ghost in the machine.

Really, I find the best purchases I've made have been the ones where I see the trailers, or run through my Steam Queue, or see a feature about something, and I say, "Heckity, I need that." Like, Sonic Mania was a phenomal game, but I preordered a game called Freedom Planet back in 2014 - both of these games are legitimate evolutions of the good Sonic games. One has the press, for obvious reasons, but Freedom Planet is pretty much just as good as Sonic Mania.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

I think Freedom Planet and it’s not yet released sequel are pretty known to most Sonic fans, but as you say, not so known by the wider gaming audience. (That reminds me, really should get something from Freedom Planet onto Sound of Play)
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

Generation Zero (PC, PS4, Xbox One) – March 26
Nelke & the Legendary Alchemists: Ateliers of the New World (PC, PS4, Switch) – March 26
Outward (PC, PS4, Xbox One) – March 26
Skyworld (PS VR) – March 26
Final Fantasy 15: Episode Ardyn (PC, PS4, Xbox One) – March 26
Space Junkies (Rift, Vive, PS VR) – March 26
The Walking Dead: The Final Season – Episode 4: Take Us Back (PC, PS4, Xbox One, Switch) – March 26
Xenon Racer (PC, PS4, Xbox One, Switch) – March 26
Final Fantasy 7 (Xbox One, Switch) – March 26
Galak-Z: The Void Deluxe Edition (Switch) – March 26
Path of Exile (PS4) – March 26
The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel (PS4) – March 26
Windscape (PC, Xbox One, Switch) – March 27
Willowbrooke Post – Steam Early Access (PC) – March 27
DayZ – official launch (Xbox One) – March 27
Grim Dawn: Forgotten Gods expansion (PC) – March 27
Mortal Kombat 11 beta (PS4, Xbox One) – March 28
Warparty (PC, PS4, Xbox One, Switch) – March 28
Tanzia – official launch (PC) – March 28
Gwent: Crimson Curse (PC, PS4, Xbox One) – March 28
Tropico 6 (PC) – March 29
Operencia: The Stolen Sun (PC, Xbox One) – March 29
Unheard (PC) – March 29
Kingdom Hearts: The Story So Far (PS4) – March 29 EU
Yoshi’s Crafted World (Switch) – March 29
Assassin’s Creed 3 Remastered [includes Liberation Remastered] (PC, PS4, Xbox One) – March 29
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

Really looking forward to the final episode of The Walking Dead
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

Firestorm is finally out for Battlefield V today too.
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

Nice. I'm curious about that
Suits

Post by Suits »

Yoshi this week 😎.

Tidy.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Never heard of Xenon Racer until now. Looks really cool!

Not many reviews out there... I'd love to hear impressions in case anybody picks it up.
duskvstweak

Post by duskvstweak »

KSubzero1000 wrote: March 25th, 2019, 3:35 pm Never heard of Xenon Racer until now. Looks really cool!

Not many reviews out there... I'd love to hear impressions in case anybody picks it up.
Just give us a new F-Zero, you bastards!!!
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

I got goosebumps when I fired up FF7 on the Switch. I got it from the JPN eShop so it unlocked a couple of hours ago. It'll keep me away from Sekiro for this evening, at least. So excited to get my headphones on, jump in bed and sink into that world while my wife watches telly beside me.
chase210

Post by chase210 »

Did it unlock at midnight Japanese time? I have it pre-loaded from the UK shop.
Suits

Post by Suits »

Stanshall wrote: March 25th, 2019, 7:27 pm So excited to get my headphones on, jump in bed and sink into that world while my wife watches telly beside me.
Nice. I love that content feeling.
Suits

Post by Suits »

..... I honestly don’t know what to say to any of that.

😄