All things Metal Gear (Solid)

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Bakers_12

Re: All things Metal Gear (Solid)

Post by Bakers_12 »

Pitwar wrote:My copy from Zavvi still hasn't been dispatched, means there's a chance it may not even arrive launch day. So much for pre-ordering to save a few quid.
I just had my E mail from Zavvi, is there a monday post?
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Don't think so mate.
Bakers_12

Post by Bakers_12 »

Just looked it up and no there is not :-( , I will have to interact with sociaty instead.
Pitwar

Post by Pitwar »

I just had my dispatch confirmation too. Fingers crossed it turns up on Tuesday.

I don't want to be that guy who has a Metal Gear tattoo and no MGSV on launch day. :D
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

I hope there is going to be loads of articles kicking off
Spoiler: show
that you spend the beginning looking at the crack of a guys arse :D
I'm talking about the prologue spoiler wise nothing major
Beck

Post by Beck »

My copy arrived on Saturday (thank you shopto), it's a beuatiful game. I've not done much with the missions and story but I've spent quite a while exploring and reminding myself of the controls. Just wait until you do a extraction ;)
James

Post by James »

Well, a not massive, but solid ( ;) ) 10 hours or so put in over the weekend and I'm 5% through the game! Loving it so far, and kinda scared that there seems to be so much to do. Now, if only I didn't have to work today!
Todinho

Post by Todinho »

Still waiting my copy to arrive(the wait has never been more painfull),Konami released this though a pretty cool video of conversations of Kojima with many people about MGSV :

The_Rooster

Post by The_Rooster »

It appears this games has broken my PS4! After the prologue there is a blank screen saying 'installing game data, Do not turn off the system, 507 seconds. But the timer doesn't go down and I waited for 10 mins and it doesn't change. I have weak Internet but there is nothing in my downloads so can I even put it in rest mode.

What can I do??
JaySevenZero
Admin

Post by JaySevenZero »

The_Rooster wrote:It appears this games has broken my PS4! After the prologue there is a blank screen saying 'installing game data, Do not turn off the system, 507 seconds. But the timer doesn't go down and I waited for 10 mins and it doesn't change. I have weak Internet but there is nothing in my downloads so can I even put it in rest mode.

What can I do??
I had the same issue. Make sure you've cloud saved your game save, then delete and re-install the game data and update. This fixed the issue for me and I've not had any problems since.
The_Rooster

Post by The_Rooster »

Yeah that's worked thanks.
Electric Crocosaurus

Post by Electric Crocosaurus »

For me, the first MGS is one of the very best games ever made. So when I say that MGSV is gripping me in a way that no entry has since the first (I'm discounting the Metal Gear games) that should give you an idea of just how brilliantly it's turned out. I'm barely 4% on completion despite putting in some significant hours and I'm hooked. There's so much great stuff, but I'm really loving the collection aspect; building up your base is mega addictive.

About the only negative at this point is the voiceover work. Kiefer Sutherland's a fine actor, but his voice doesn't suit Snake for me. I wish they'd finally gone full meta and just hired Kurt Russell.
zen_anarchy

Post by zen_anarchy »

The game is great so far (about 6 hours in) but one niggling worry that I am having is about the usage of G.M.P as a resource and whether I am at one point going to be held to ransom by micro transactions.

As everything in the game seems to revolve around your balance of G.M.P points even small things like ammo reloads and obtaining new equipment.

The game is really well made though with some exceptional sound design and great graphics.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Excited for this, but I'm still playing Peace Walker. I'm considering going straight on to GZ and 5 after finishing PW, but I'm worried that then later coming back to play 4 I'll have been spoiled and think it's shit.

First world problems.
mikeleddy83

Post by mikeleddy83 »

Not sure so far, most people have clocked up 30 hours without getting more than 10 story missions into it. Similar to peacewalker really. Take your time with it. It was mgs v before 5 tbh.

Edit: Autocorrect and sun glare messed up that post but it's nice to post something on my lunch break
magicjoef

Post by magicjoef »

I'm only five hours in (2% :o ), but I'm very much enjoying it. I've played the very careful stealth approach so far, but the world definitely feels like it has the potential to be a real playground later on when I want to goof about and try out some action.

BTW, as part of my purchase on Steam I got a copy of Ground Zeroes. I already owned it so I have a giftable copy if anyone is interested...
Todinho

Post by Todinho »

So I just stumbled into Quiet today and when I mean Stumbled I mean it I was just wandering Afeganistan in search of a side op and BAM,to quote revolver Ocelot "I never felt a tension like this before!" it was freaking awesome! For those that want absolutely 0 spoilers I'll stop here but I'll just describe the encounter a little:
Spoiler: show
Man what a great way to do a Boss fight!If I had to compare it to other in the series I'd say it's a more streamlined version of the End but it's way harder to sneak up on her then the old sniper which only makes the moments when I did all the more satisfying,another great tactic I used and was so happy it worked was dropping a supply crate on top of her head XD it's really effective if you can get her to stand still long enough,another thing is that since she moves so fast and blends with the terrain the best way to keep track of her is ironically by sound which I really liked,so yeah really cool encounter and Im excited to see what comes next because those cutscenes afterwards really got me interested
Other than that tough Im really really enjoying the game,im only 18 hours in but I have no doubt in my mind that this is the best stealth game ever made there's just no contest,now how good of a Metal Gear it is we will see but I gotta say Robin Atikin Downs is killing it as Miller I love it everytime he's on screen, and also an exception because Im finding that most of the acting Im liking comes more from "body acting"(dont know if it's thing) than voice acting.
JaySevenZero
Admin

Post by JaySevenZero »

I've been playing the hell out of it since it arrived and whilst I've not been keeping track of how many hours I've played, my completion percentage is currently sitting at 26. Overall, I'm incredibly impressed with the open approach to the mission structure, not too mention the maps with both Afganistan and Angola being exceptionally well-realised.

One thing that hasn't sold me (apart from Quiet's outfit and Kojima's grade school reasoning behind it) is the voice acting, with both Miller's and Ocelot's voices feeling a little too similar to one another Neither however, is as pointless as Kiefer Sutherland's, the only reason I can imagine that he was even used was that Kojima is a big fan of 24 and wanted him involved, nothing more. If his decision to recast was to improve the quality of the performances then why the hell did he keep Christopher Randolph as Huey Emmerich with his insipid, weak characterisation? Sutherland's performance feels both flat and 'phoned-in' and frankly, doesn't feel that much of a step up from David Hayter. In fact, and despite my feelings towards Hayter's voice work in the past games, I don't believe it would have made any difference if he'd have stayed given how little Sutherland actually does. This is in direct comparison to the Japanese voice acting with Akio Ōtsuka once again, as he has done throughout the series, playing Snake. The interesting aspect to this is that he appears to be deliberately emulating his father, Chikao Ōtsuka who was also the voice of Big Boss in the finale of MGS4, which offers a level of continuity to the character sadly lacking in the English language version.
Todinho

Post by Todinho »

I think Miller's voice is really solid but I also wish Ocelots voice was different because he just sounds like Troy Baker putting an accent,while I think the more silent Snake makes sense for this game Kiefer isnt really great either I dont think he's phoning it in but he just doesnt have the same energy and knowlegde of the character as Hayter did so it'll end up sounding worse by comparison on that note I still kinda wish Richard Doyle played Snake in this one because I really liked him in MGS4,and yeah Emmerich's voice especially in some of the tapes is really annoying this time around. Also one thing I noticed is that the dialogue this time around is very expository I mean more then usual Metal Gear always had this problem but it really started to bother me here especially in some tapes because unlike Peace Walker it doesnt seem your walking in two people having a conversation instead it just seem people reading information to you and I dont really like that. And yeah I totally called it why Quiet's outfit was the way it was,does it makes sense yes did I facepalm when I heard it yes,that aside tough I really like her as a character and especially as buddy.

Also I dont know if anybody else discovered the medical bay thing I myself wouldnt even be aware if someone hadnt told me but I really dont like it because I fail to see what the point of it was I dont know maybe it will make sense in the future.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »