All things Metal Gear (Solid)

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future.
User avatar
chase210
Member
Posts: 971
Joined: June 3rd, 2013, 11:22 am

Re: All things Metal Gear (Solid)

Post by chase210 »

On the positive side of my thoughts about this game, this is by a country mile, the best gameplay I've ever played in the metal gear series. They nailed it completely and I love the gameplay.

User avatar
JaySevenZero
Admin
Posts: 2270
Joined: August 27th, 2012, 4:28 pm
Location: Liverpool, Europe, Earth
Contact:

Re: All things Metal Gear (Solid)

Post by JaySevenZero »

chase210 wrote:On the positive side of my thoughts about this game, this is by a country mile, the best gameplay I've ever played in the metal gear series. They nailed it completely and I love the gameplay.
I'd certainly concur with the above statement.

User avatar
arry_g
Member
Posts: 718
Joined: May 20th, 2013, 12:45 pm
Location: Ashford, Kent (Sort of)
Contact:

Re: All things Metal Gear (Solid)

Post by arry_g »

Well, holy f***!
Spoiler: show
My feelings, my impressions, the similarities I noticed to dissociation a loved one is going through and the things that didn't sit right with me about both Paz and Boss were justified.

User avatar
JaySevenZero
Admin
Posts: 2270
Joined: August 27th, 2012, 4:28 pm
Location: Liverpool, Europe, Earth
Contact:

Re: All things Metal Gear (Solid)

Post by JaySevenZero »

I saw someone mention it on twitter and agreed with them in that it would have been amazing if Kojima had actually hired Kurt Russell rather than Sutherland to voice Big Boss. I mean, the single biggest influence on the character of Snake was the character he played back in 1981 and to have used him as the last voice of Snake would have been kinda cool on just about every level.

User avatar
chase210
Member
Posts: 971
Joined: June 3rd, 2013, 11:22 am

Re: All things Metal Gear (Solid)

Post by chase210 »

Hey hey hey, its not the last time we'll see Snake. We have the metal gear Pachinko machine to look forward to!

User avatar
arry_g
Member
Posts: 718
Joined: May 20th, 2013, 12:45 pm
Location: Ashford, Kent (Sort of)
Contact:

Re: All things Metal Gear (Solid)

Post by arry_g »

So, I've 100%'d MGSV - I have the Platinum Trophy on the PS4 too and all known story content has been witnessed. I have put 275 hours into the game. Needless to say, I liked it, loved it in fact.

The gameplay is not only the best in the series but in my humble opinion it is also a shining light within its respective genres. I understand people's criticism of how chapter two concluded but ultimately am not bothered by them (I think they add to the identity of MGSV as a product in-fact).

The only open thread which sits a little uncomfortably with me is Eli but given the success of MGSV both financially and critically it is foolish to consider this as the end of the franchise (despite the situation at Konami). Metal Gear is worth a lot of money, Konami can't ignore that. So, either they find an up-and-coming team to take it on internally, they sell it (and there are people who would buy that IP) or they farm it out but considering the sales and public perception, this series does not die (much like Big Boss it just sleeps for a while). Sure, it won't be the same but it could be interesting to see out it all plays out. I guess I am saying that the Eli thread leaves an interesting array of possibilities for someone to use as a starting point on a new project (even if it wasn't intended that way). In fact despite me loving MGSV I feel what it has done is left itself open to a sequel where an ambitious studio can advertise their product as a return to its roots.

User avatar
JaySevenZero
Admin
Posts: 2270
Joined: August 27th, 2012, 4:28 pm
Location: Liverpool, Europe, Earth
Contact:

Re: All things Metal Gear (Solid)

Post by JaySevenZero »

arry_g wrote:...but given the success of MGSV both financially and critically it is foolish to consider this as the end of the franchise (despite the situation at Konami). Metal Gear is worth a lot of money, Konami can't ignore that.
I'm not sure about the validity of this statement, MGS sold very well back in the day (6 million), MGS2 did even better (7 million with a production cost $10 million), MGS3 would have done well since it was on the same platform as 2 but sold less than previous installments with a little over 4 million. A substantial amount of the profits from 3 would have gone back into the production of MGS4 (production cost in excess of $70 million), which in the 6 years since release has sold around six million units. Once again, a large chunk of the money made by that game would have gone back into the production of MGSV, which itself will be in the red until it clears at least 5 million units sold (currently 3).

Despite having a fervent fan base and solid critical response for the games, they've taken years to recoup the costs incurred and since videogames are the least profit generating section of Konami's digital entertainment division (which in itself generates less revenue for the company than its other concerns). I would be surprised if they themselves announced a new game any time soon, but I could believe that they would let another interested party carry the financial burden if it's in their financial interests to do so.

User avatar
arry_g
Member
Posts: 718
Joined: May 20th, 2013, 12:45 pm
Location: Ashford, Kent (Sort of)
Contact:

Re: All things Metal Gear (Solid)

Post by arry_g »

JaySevenZero wrote:
arry_g wrote:...but given the success of MGSV both financially and critically it is foolish to consider this as the end of the franchise (despite the situation at Konami). Metal Gear is worth a lot of money, Konami can't ignore that.
I'm not sure about the validity of this statement, MGS sold very well back in the day (6 million), MGS2 did even better (7 million with a production cost $10 million), MGS3 would have done well since it was on the same platform as 2 but sold less than previous installments with a little over 4 million. A substantial amount of the profits from 3 would have gone back into the production of MGS4 (production cost in excess of $70 million), which in the 6 years since release has sold around six million units. Once again, a large chunk of the money made by that game would have gone back into the production of MGSV, which itself will be in the red until it clears at least 5 million units sold (currently 3).

Despite having a fervent fan base and solid critical response for the games, they've taken years to recoup the costs incurred and since videogames are the least profit generating section of Konami's digital entertainment division (which in itself generates less revenue for the company than its other concerns). I would be surprised if they themselves announced a new game any time soon, but I could believe that they would let another interested party carry the financial burden if it's in their financial interests to do so.
I see where you are coming from and I did mention that them farming the IP out or selling it could be an option for this very reason. I'm quite interested in seeing how well the micro transactions have sold and what kind of money that has bought in too as well as what MGO achieves as I have seen many people with multiple FOB's playing online. The franchise makes money from more than just the games and it's hard to account for what kind of income the three albums bring in, the micro-transactions, the strategy guide (and it is a pretty extensive guide), any associated manga (if there is any this time) and of course the clothing which all add value to the IP. Time will tell but I am confident that the series is not done with completely and that we will see another and there are many who believe that a Metal Gear game without Kojima's way of doing it could be a faster, less expensive process albeit one that would not equate to the standard Metal Gear experience (of which there is some debate as to what that is given people's reaction to V).

User avatar
Todinho
Member
Posts: 2127
Joined: September 24th, 2012, 2:27 pm

Re: All things Metal Gear (Solid)

Post by Todinho »

Im also sure Metal Gear will continue(unfortunally) but now the MG1 remake(a natural follow-up to V) seems more likely to be a pachinko machine over anything else...

User avatar
magicjoef
Member
Posts: 630
Joined: September 2nd, 2012, 4:58 pm

Re: All things Metal Gear (Solid)

Post by magicjoef »

I wonder if it makes financial sense to HD remake the first MGS? That could keep the franchise in public view next year or the year after.

It might be relatively easy money as it was already ported to the MGS2 engine for Twin Snakes, and they have worked with that engine in the HD collection already.

User avatar
Todinho
Member
Posts: 2127
Joined: September 24th, 2012, 2:27 pm

Re: All things Metal Gear (Solid)

Post by Todinho »

This is kinda of amazing: http://www.gamesradar.com/mgs-5-fans-ar ... dden-code/ I wonder if something will actually come out of it or if this is Kojima trolling fans,either it takes me back to the good days of LOST =D

User avatar
JaySevenZero
Admin
Posts: 2270
Joined: August 27th, 2012, 4:28 pm
Location: Liverpool, Europe, Earth
Contact:

Re: All things Metal Gear (Solid)

Post by JaySevenZero »

So, I had an hour on MGO last night and thought it was really good fun. If there are enough of us interested in playing, it could be worth playing as a group amongst ourselves if there are those that fancy that?

User avatar
ratsoalbion
Admin
Posts: 7251
Joined: August 28th, 2012, 9:41 am
Location: Brighton, England
Contact:

Re: All things Metal Gear (Solid)

Post by ratsoalbion »


User avatar
Flabyo
Member
Posts: 3329
Joined: August 8th, 2013, 8:46 am
Location: Guildford

Re: All things Metal Gear (Solid)

Post by Flabyo »

'Tactical Advantage'

I see what they did there.

(See, I have less issue with this than all the stuff with Quiet, cause at least here they're being honest with why they've done it)

User avatar
JaySevenZero
Admin
Posts: 2270
Joined: August 27th, 2012, 4:28 pm
Location: Liverpool, Europe, Earth
Contact:

Re: All things Metal Gear (Solid)

Post by JaySevenZero »

ratsoalbion wrote:Is any of this fair comment?
http://www.vg247.com/2015/10/07/seven-r ... ine-sucks/
It probably is, but most can (and will) be negated by setting it up and playing as a community group rather than jumping into a random games.

User avatar
mikeleddy83
Member
Posts: 1419
Joined: September 2nd, 2012, 5:32 pm
Location: Oxford
Contact:

Re: All things Metal Gear (Solid)

Post by mikeleddy83 »

I'm in no doubt about it, looks like it could be fun to say the least. When are you thinking?

User avatar
Todinho
Member
Posts: 2127
Joined: September 24th, 2012, 2:27 pm

Re: All things Metal Gear (Solid)

Post by Todinho »

Today I played more MGO3 more then I played MGO2 during all of the years it was out,overall I really like it! The best thing is how matches are short and every second and action matters both to you and to your team(especially if you're an infiltrator) it makes for some really frantic gameplay that manages to capture really well that great moments of the single player when you have to improvise under pressure,for example in one of the matches of bounty hunter we were losing 8 tickets to 12 however in the last seconds I was lucky and able to CQC to guys in a row and fulton them both before the timer ended and that got us the match,making us win 20 to 9 which was awesome! That being said they really need to sort out that host issue because it's really annoying.

User avatar
mikeleddy83
Member
Posts: 1419
Joined: September 2nd, 2012, 5:32 pm
Location: Oxford
Contact:

Re: All things Metal Gear (Solid)

Post by mikeleddy83 »

Playing online now if anyone wants to join

User avatar
Todinho
Member
Posts: 2127
Joined: September 24th, 2012, 2:27 pm

Re: All things Metal Gear (Solid)

Post by Todinho »

So after today's news I stumbled across a Kojima interview on 2012 which was really cool especially part 2:

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/g ... iew-part-1

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/g ... iew-part-2

Most of it is stuff anyone familiar with Kojima knows about but there are some new interesting facts I didnt know about especially the great role his mother played in Kojima path to game designer,really cool stuff.

User avatar
ratsoalbion
Admin
Posts: 7251
Joined: August 28th, 2012, 9:41 am
Location: Brighton, England
Contact:

Re: All things Metal Gear (Solid)

Post by ratsoalbion »

Konami say he's actually on holiday:
http://kotaku.com/konami-denies-hideo-k ... Socialflow
This is all very silly!

Post Reply