All things Metal Gear (Solid)

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
magicjoef

All things Metal Gear (Solid)

Post by magicjoef »

This looks really cool:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metal_Gear ... Collection

I wonder if it will get a Europe release? I'm considering picking up a PS3 later in the year (I figure there will be a boom in the second hand market) to play some exclusives, and this would be a really nice MGS collection to have. Anyone heard anything?
Scrustle

Re: Metal Gear Legacy Collection

Post by Scrustle »

I've been thinking about doing the same thing actually. Not heard anything about it being released in Europe though. A quick Google searched didn't seem to bring anything up. But the PS3 is region free, right? You can just import it.
magicjoef

Re: Metal Gear Solid: The Legacy Collection

Post by magicjoef »

Looks like MGS 1 is just a download code from what I can see, which takes the edge off it a bit. Pretty much just a repack of the HD collection at that point.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Yeah, and the download version here is still the bloody slow PAL version. Hngh!
:evil:
Scrustle

Post by Scrustle »

If they don't bring it to EU it won't matter anyway. We won't be able to reclaim the code from an imported copy. I recently learnt that the hard way with the God of War Saga.

I actually already own a pretty mint PS1 copy of the game though, but I liked the idea of getting it on PS3 since I don't really have any good controllers for my PS2 any more.
General Aquila

Post by General Aquila »

Tempted largely as I have no MGS in my games at all and have only played the first MGS.
magicjoef

Post by magicjoef »

Probably best to go for HD collection and get the first MGS as a PSOne Classic through PSN. Doesn't look like they will do a release over here.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Yeah you can probably pick up the HD Collection and MGS4 at under £25 for the lot now?
mikeleddy83

Post by mikeleddy83 »

Scrustle wrote:If they don't bring it to EU it won't matter anyway. We won't be able to reclaim the code from an imported copy. I recently learnt that the hard way with the God of War Saga.

I actually already own a pretty mint PS1 copy of the game though, but I liked the idea of getting it on PS3 since I don't really have any good controllers for my PS2 any more.
Make a US account, you can redeem it on that and once you've downloaded simply switch back to your main account and play it there. Don't delete the account you set up the American account with (you can still use from time to time to get early/US only demos) and as an unofficial rule always use the zip code 90210 when setting up an account ;)
Scrustle

Post by Scrustle »

mikeleddy83 wrote: Make a US account, you can redeem it on that and once you've downloaded simply switch back to your main account and play it there. Don't delete the account you set up the American account with (you can still use from time to time to get early/US only demos) and as an unofficial rule always use the zip code 90210 when setting up an account ;)
Ha! It works! Thanks for the tip. I thought there might have been some work-around, but a previous Google search didn't bring anything up.

But bloody hell, does it take a long time to download and install stuff on the PS3. It's taking the whole bloody day! If this were on 360 I would have downloaded both games by now and had hours to play them.
Combine Hunter

Post by Combine Hunter »

This is a fantastic 45 minute dissection of Metal Gear Solid 3. One of my favourite games of all time.

Todinho

Post by Todinho »

it's also worth saying that he has a great critical close-up of MGS2 too!

Edit:Speaking of MGS's reviews/analysis this is also a great analysis of the game aproached in different angle I really recommend it,I wish that more reviews could be like this:

NokkonWud

Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes

Post by NokkonWud »

Has anyone else gotten a hold of this yet? Mine arrived early and I've played through it tonight.
Actually, I've played through it three times as of writing this.

Yes it's short, but it's very open and you can be super direct. The 10 minute run isn't a fair representation of the game, it's all about learning it through the first time and perfecting runs through it later, which for me is very appealing. It's very solid, looks gorgeous and for £20 is a bargain. There's loads to do, which many don't seem aware of.

There's the Ground Zeroes mission, which is the main game, which has two real halves to it, plus additional things to do. Then there are collectibles, 9 XOF patches and 7 cassettes.
Then there are secondary missions (side ops) that are unlocked, there are four of those, and then there are exclusive bonus content missions depending on format. Finally there are trials, the first of which I've unlocked is the fastest time for marking all 42 enemies on the Ground Zeroes mission. I believe there are more and that each of the side ops missions also has them. There are 2 per level on Normal and 4 per level on Hard. Complete one to unlock the next. This should keep me entertained for a while!

Oh, and finally, I really like Keifer Sutherlands voice acting. I was always put off by David Hayters hammy acting, it felt like one area (not the only, but the biggest) that was really holding it back. For me, this is more fitting for the character.

My first completion netted me an A rating (as did the second) and netted me a whopping "Completion Ratio: 11%", so there really is plenty of content.

Yes, it can be done super quick, but after playing it, that's most definitely a positive. I paid less than £20 new for this game from GameSeek and it's been an absolute bargain.

Now excuse me, I have a fourth completion to attend to!
NokkonWud

Re: Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes

Post by NokkonWud »

Not my fastest completion (which is 20:54 - and I was being stealthy), but I did get an S Grade!
Todinho

Re: Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes

Post by Todinho »

Cool,I was little bumed out when it was revealed this was basically that Tanker or Virtuous mission but sold separatly but im really looking foward to getting my hands on it and try the gameplay myself since we'll probably have to wait until mid 2015 at least for the full game,but I'll get it digitally on the old gen,from what've seen from videos and stuff this looks like it could be the best Metal Gear yet in terms of gameplay,the story could turn into a trainwreck like 4 but if Phanthom Pain is basically Peace Walker but Next gen it's gonna be really fun.

How do the new additions to the gamepaly hold up?Im still a little worried about reflex mode and the regenerating health,also do vehicles handle well?And more importantly is there a Cardboard box!?
NokkonWud

Re: All things Metal Gear (Solid)

Post by NokkonWud »

The controls are really nice and reflex mode did feel quite jarring, but it is impressive and it does feel cool to quickly hit them with a tranq. The downside is that it doesn't reward you with a score bonus.
The stuff like sprinting and diving work nicely. The cover system is good, but it can be a little too easy to accidentally slip out, but it's far from horrible. The gun play is surprisingly good. The way you interrogate is pretty darned cool. Regenerating health sort of fits with the more open world nature, but it does seem odd to not keep rations on you! The vehicles do handle pretty well, but they're not stealthy, so I didn't really use them. And surprisingly, no. I didn't find a single cardboard box!

As for getting it on old gen, I know this is more convenient for you being from brazil, but remember, the save files DO carry over.
Feirsteax

Post by Feirsteax »

This will be in the house tonight. CANNOT WAIT
Very interested in seeing how much fun I can have with all the different ways to approach the mission
Todinho

Post by Todinho »

NokkonWud wrote:The controls are really nice and reflex mode did feel quite jarring, but it is impressive and it does feel cool to quickly hit them with a tranq. The downside is that it doesn't reward you with a score bonus.
The stuff like sprinting and diving work nicely. The cover system is good, but it can be a little too easy to accidentally slip out, but it's far from horrible. The gun play is surprisingly good. The way you interrogate is pretty darned cool. Regenerating health sort of fits with the more open world nature, but it does seem odd to not keep rations on you! The vehicles do handle pretty well, but they're not stealthy, so I didn't really use them. And surprisingly, no. I didn't find a single cardboard box!

As for getting it on old gen, I know this is more convenient for you being from brazil, but remember, the save files DO carry over.
No carboard box!? this game is ruined! I'd forgoten about the the saves carrying over...luckly a crazy friend of mine bought the PS4 version to play and the PS4 of an even crazier/rich friend that has a PS4 so I can maybe borrow from him in 2015 if I can get a PS4 at a resonable price in the "gray market" or I can wait for the PC version that will arrive anytime now...right?Yeah I'll probably be doing the first option.
AndyKurosaki

Post by AndyKurosaki »

Finished my first playthrough in 3 hours, loved every minute of it. As Nokkon says, there's more than just the "main" mission to do, I'll be trying the side missions next. Scraped a D grade, but then I did kill 42 people, so fair does :lol:
Personally I never had an issue with Hayter's Snake, from the age of 18 with the first MGS i've literally grown up with him.
But Keither does an excellent job, so that's good.
It looks bloody amazing on PS4 too. Seriously.

The main thing this achieves is make you want The Phantom Pain even more. It'll be a long wait, but well worth it I'll bet.
Feirsteax

Post by Feirsteax »

Me too. Just finished it, and it just leaves me wanting a full game. With cutscenes and story bits and the Sins of the Father music. Damn!
Got a D grade too, really wasn't stealthy at all. Gonna try it again on hard and see how I get on, now that I know the basics.