All things Metal Gear (Solid)

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Todinho

Re: All things Metal Gear (Solid)

Post by Todinho »

So I've been getting all the info I can get on MGSV this E3 so I decided to post a few of the important ones here,by the way dont watch the directors cut of the new trailer it has a huge spoiler in it!:

Kojima's interview with TIME where he tells a bit how he tackles Metal Gear stories and what he wants to achieve in his games: http://time.com/2862423/interview-hideo ... ource=t.co

Here's the IGN interview where he talks a bit more about gameplay and some story decisions including how they handled Paz(but I dont think he fully understood the question there): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1B_A_HBD5Q

A Eurogamer article talking about the Hands-off demo: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014- ... antom-pain

And a small part of that demo:
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

I finished it this morning in 85 minutes and killed 86 people and I started off saying I was going to do a no kill playthrough ;)

I rescued two people and thought I had a bug as the story didnt progress then I realised there were other people in there than Chico. I also ruined the end bit with
Spoiler: show
Paz
as it just reminded me of a south park episode immediately ;)
Testtube27

Post by Testtube27 »

sneaky Snake didnt spot a second snuke!
Todinho

Post by Todinho »

oh this compiles all the new MGS info from TGS: http://www.thenasian.com/2014/09/22/mgsvtgs2014newinfo/ and from what I gathered they are adding fucking social links in Metal Gear!And im completely fine with that :D this really is gonna be the game where you build Outer Heaven cant wait to meet running man :lol:

Also I just saw a JunkerHQ tweet saying that Kojima confirmed in the latest direct that he made the MGS2 ending so that a sequel couldnt be possible,which makes MGS4 even more of a forced conclusion that fans asked without thinking.

EDIT: and here's me being a hypocrit and sharing a Kotaku(Australia) article were a dude explains why Big Boss is the best climber in videogame history: http://www.kotaku.com.au/2014/09/why-sn ... e-history/ this only goes to show the attention to detail they are willing to go I cant think of another studio that has this level of care.
magicjoef

Post by magicjoef »

Was really pleased to hear the new MGS stuff will be coming to PC, as I'm not sure when I'm getting the new gen console.

I haven't played 4 though as I don't have a PS3, so I'm going to have to work out a way to resolve that too! :S
Todinho

Post by Todinho »

Trust me you dont really need to play 4,play peace walker instead!
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

If anyone is a subscriber to the Giant Bomb premium content, you probably already know this but Dan Ryckert (MGS fanatic) and Drew Scanlon (new to the series) are currently playing through Metal Gear Solid. It is a joy to watch!
magicjoef

Post by magicjoef »

Todinho wrote:Trust me you dont really need to play 4,play peace walker instead!
Ah, okay! I have that in the HD collection and have been chipping away at it co-op with a friend. Completely different structure to the other games, but I like how the story of building up Outer Heaven is unfolding.
arry_g

Post by arry_g »

To this day Peace Walker is the only is the only Metal Gear I've not played. Why? I've been told that without co-op some sections aren't possible and I have no-one to play with :(
Todinho

Post by Todinho »

I played the entire game solo and while some of the boss fights can drag on a bit they were totally doable , as long as you arent trying to 100% the game there are some optional bosses that get ridiculus later on but that's all, the game is more fun in co-op but I still recommend it single player
Electric Crocosaurus

Post by Electric Crocosaurus »

Hey Arry_g, I've never played Peace Walker for this reason so do you fancy teaming up at some point? I have the game on PS3, and I'm putting some heavy time into Destiny at the moment, but I'd be up for blitzing through it some time between now and Christmas
arry_g

Post by arry_g »

Sorry, I only just saw this (work woes meant no time on the forums yesterday). That sounds like a wonderful idea! I have it on PS3 as well, I want to burn through Alien next week but anytime after I'm up for that :)
richie_in_japan

Post by richie_in_japan »

Just decided to give the original Metal Gear a crack on the Vita HD collection. Rough going, they really don't make them like this any more (rock hard so kids get their money's worth!) but fun to see where it all began. Could this be the start of a marathon?
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

I've been playing it and I'm just on my way back to Sniper Wolf. I've also got 2 and 3 sat on my Vita.
richie_in_japan

I meant original original Metal Gear from the MSX. The boss I'm on is called "Shotmaker" so they obviously improved on boss naming.
Bakers_12

Post by Bakers_12 »

Running man is a legend!!!
Todinho

Post by Todinho »

Machine gun kid is the best!!
richie_in_japan

Now into Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake. Amazing how improved it is to the first one. However, I nearly gave up early on as I got stuck. Didn't realise you have to punch the lift buttons to call the lifts!

I can't put my finger on how Kojima does it, but there's so many aspects which repeat through the series which usually I'd find repetitive and unimaginative but instead it seems charming. Maybe because the games have been spread across a much greater time span than the modern annual franchises.
Todinho

Post by Todinho »

Now that you mentioned it this is really true he is basically making the same game multiple times and yet they all feel fresh and interesting in their own way,hell take Metal Gear 2:Solid Snake,Metal Gear Solid and Metal gear Solid 2 they are basically the same game in structure and many of the characters play similar roles and while betewen MGS1 and 2 there's a story reason for that it doesnt change the fact that MGS1 is basically a MG2 in 3D,I dont know how he does it but they all feel unique and he's gonna do this again with MGSV because that's just gonna be a next gen Peace Walker :lol:
richie_in_japan

Any Metal Gear experts on the boards able to explain something to me? When Big Boss reveals he is behind Outer Heaven, he says that he sent Snake in because he was a rookie, bound to fail and to spread misinformation. But don't he send in super soldier Grey Fox before that? Perhaps it's something explained in a later game, in which case don't spoil it, I think the series marathon might be on.