The Street Fighter thread

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Flabyo

Re: The Street Fighter thread

Post by Flabyo »

We just had one of the all time greatest train wreck moments.

Two guys come up to play, straight away they pick Kanzuki Beach as the stage (it’s a banned stage in tournament play cause the water can hide certain moves).

Then they play and... they’re about as good at the game as I am.

After the first game they shake hands and are about to leave until someone points out tournaments are best of three.

And then after all that they don’t desync their controllers so the next people to play had to reboot the console.

Ah evo day one. Never change, hehehe.
Michiel K

Post by Michiel K »

Watching!
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

On an awesome and related note, Singho posted about a fantastic Super Turbo competition at VS Fighting 2018. The quality is absolutely amazing and features former C&R interviewee Ryan Hart, as well as Justin Wong, and the absolute cream of the UK scene.
A SSFIIX "Tournament of Legends 3" Qualifier was held at Versus Fighting 2018 at Millenium Point, Birmingham last week. I was lucky enough to help run and commentate da ting.

http://www.strevival.com/tol3

48 players including Legends. OGs. Wastemen.

Winner of the qualifiers get to fight it out at Canada Cup in Toronto in October 2018.

Players included Ryan Hart, Justin Wong, Orf (Multi time UK champ), Golcar Jack, Fuzzy and others. 

Was a mad tournament, every bracket had it's fair share of killer ST players. It also had it's fair share of nonsense! 

Full playlist available here: https://t.co/WgpojASHy6 - Fully Time Stamped in the description and first comment if you are looking for a particular match. Includes walkthrough video, interviews\commentary with Ryan Hart talking about the good olde days and Justin Wong talking about the ST\MvC Scene as well as some quick clips.

Top 12 is an absolute must watch.

Full Bracket Here: https://bit.ly/2OaqixS
Well worth a watch.
Michiel K

Post by Michiel K »

^^^^ Thanks, will watch after all the EVO madness!
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

Didn’t feel like staying up to watch EVO this time, but when I woke up this morning it was still going. So I got to watch the grand final of SFV live.

That was fine, mighty fine.

Got two new characters to have a play around with this evening as well.
ADumican83

Post by ADumican83 »

Looking at picking up a fightstick for my PS4. Any recommendations? Was lloking at the Hori RAP4 but anything similar price wise will do I guess. Never owned one so don't really have a frame of reference. Any opinions welcome.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

I love my RAP4.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

there aren’t that many other options now since MadCatz went tits up. You can still find their TE2 model on eBay, but if it breaks you’re going to need to fix it yourself.

The ones Razer make are decent, though the earlier models had some issues with the cable. I’m not a fan of the stick in them, too stiff for me, but several pro players use them.

Qanba make a good range too, but those are a git to import to the UK.

The Rap4 is a good one anyway, and easy to get in the UK.
Joshihatsumitsu

Post by Joshihatsumitsu »

I own the MadCatz and Qanba sticks, and love 'em both. Been eyeing off the RAP4 for my Switch... one day... :(

Another option for the adventurous is going the Brook Universal Fighting Board route. There's plenty of guides and how-to's online, and it would allow for a very personalised controller.

I have not gone down that road myself. One day... I have no shortage of ideas, just a shortage of finances. :(
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

Thread resurrection!

Capcom have apparently remembered that SFV exists... surprised this dropped now rather than at EVO on Sunday, maybe they’re sulking cause they’re not the final game anymore.

Anyway... more characters...

DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

Capcom must be reading my mind from 2 years ago when I dropped off playing this and said to myself "bring Poison out and I'll come back".

Had so much fun with Poison in 4 it'll be rude not too
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

DomsBeard wrote: August 1st, 2019, 7:50 am Capcom must be reading my mind from 2 years ago when I dropped off playing this and said to myself "bring Poison out and I'll come back".

Had so much fun with Poison in 4 it'll be rude not too
Then I remember I have not had PS+ for 6 months so would need to resub just for that! :cry:
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

I really need to get round to playing the 30th Anniversary Collection on Switch. Not sure if anyone else here has it...
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

I do, yeah. It seems pretty dead online unfortunately or I'd still be at it. Regularly fire it up for some couch VS after the pub, though.

SFV, I'm in the same boat as Dom, I'd need to get PS+ again but I just didn't enjoy the game. I had a blast with some of the guys on here one evening, best time I had with it, but generally, I found SFV very disappointing. My SF4 style doesn't fit at all, and I've never enjoyed it enough to want to start from scratch. That's the honest truth.
Sinclair Gregstrum

Post by Sinclair Gregstrum »

Stanshall wrote: August 1st, 2019, 10:17 amI just didn't enjoy the game. I had a blast with some of the guys on here one evening, best time I had with it, but generally, I found SFV very disappointing. My SF4 style doesn't fit at all, and I've never enjoyed it enough to want to start from scratch. That's the honest truth.
Same. My least favourite Street Fighter. I don't mind the gameplay, but as an overall product it's deeply flawed.

Bland visual style. Completely lacking content in its vanilla state. The half-arsed and badly executed single player content that was added eventually was poor. It's constantly trying to sell me something. The game makes incessant calls to the server that slow everything down even when playing single player modes. The UI is awfully clunky and unintuitive. I could go on....

In fact I did in post below on the "Completed" thread a while back!
Spoiler: show
May - Street Fighter 5 (PS4 Pro)

I bought Street Fighter 5 at launch and after not much time spent I became, as many did, just too disgruntled with it to continue. For me personally, aside from a criminal lack of content for anyone wanting to do anything other than play online, it also just didn’t feel right as a package.

The gameplay in terms of what was there was great, but it lacked any proper CPU AI as there was no arcade mode, and the story mode that was there was a walk in the park and just an excuse for crappy cutscenes. The UI was also pretty amateurish and clunky, and the overall aesthetic was, and still is for me, probably the most bland of any Street Fighter ever.

So I put it down.

Fast forward to present day and I had a hankering for a fighting game, plus a Mayflash F300 fight stick sat unused in my cupboard. I’d heard much about how they’d improved SF5 over the years (at least it had an arcade mode now!), so I decided now was the time give it another try.

I’ve now played through all of the arcade runs added post-release a number of times. There are six different runs of varying lengths – one for each Street Fighter mainline entry including Alpha (no EX or Pocket Fighter). They tailor the available playable fighters to fit the entry in the series in question, but other than that, there are no changes to gameplay or anything else to add relevance to the old games. This means unless you’re a dedicated Ryu man, who is available in all the runs, you’ll need to play as different characters as you go. It’s all perfectly fine, and the game plays as well as it ever did, but it all feels like a bit of an afterthought (which it was!) and more of an excuse to sell me more characters than anything else. At least for me as an owner of the vanilla SF5, each run has at least twice as many locked characters that I can purchase at the store vs ones that are actually available to me, and that feels pretty shitty as someone that paid a lot of money for not a lot of game back on day one!

Overall there is actually a pervasive issue throughout the whole game with the player being constantly asked to buy extra content. Whenever I do something it feels like a little alert will pop up saying “this thing is now available to buy at the shop!”. So instead of the game rewarding me for my achievements by actually giving me something, my reward is the right to buy it, which is just terrible frankly.

The other single player mode they’ve added is the enticingly titled “general story”. This is basically a few hours of awful cutscenes punctuated by the occasional easy single-round fight. It is not very good. It is also not available to you unless you go hunting for it yourself in the PlayStation Store as a free add-on. Otherwise it just sits there greyed out in the menu, with no clues as to how you're supposed access it or links to the store to download it. Utterly nonsensical.

Another gripe - the game takes a bloody age to do anything! Just starting it up takes what feels like a good few minutes, and there are lots of little loads in between virtually everything the game does, making the whole experience just feel ponderous and stuttering. There are a lot of calls being made to the servers constantly, even when you’re just playing single player content, and boy does it tell you about it. “Logging into the server”, “You’re not connected to the server”, “You’ve been disconnected from the server”, “You have a message from the server”. Leave me alone you blasted server! I’m just trying to play bloody Street Fighter!!!

I wish I had more positive things to say about SF5. The core gameplay is great, and of course gameplay is king, but when there’s so much to dislike about the overall package, it can’t help but sour the whole experience. Sadly while Street Fighter 5 is potentially a great game, it is in reality an incredibly flawed, and, in many ways, straight-up bad product.

A quick good word for the Mayflash F300 though – I’m not a fight stick connoisseur in the slightest, but at around £50 for a beginners stick that feels this well built and responsive you really can’t go wrong. Very impressed with it!

Street Fighter 5...not so much...
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

hazeredmist wrote: August 1st, 2019, 10:15 am I really need to get round to playing the 30th Anniversary Collection on Switch. Not sure if anyone else here has it...
I do although I do struggle playing it in handheld mode (I play 100% in handheld). Should charge the pro controller collecting dust and play with it on the kick stand really. Mind you I would need nintendo online wouldn't I? :D
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

I still enjoying watching SFV played at a high level, but I don’t really play it much myself anymore, probably won’t be getting these characters as I just won’t play them.

I’m mostly on Mortal Kombat 11 now, although I did enjoy the Granblue Fantasy Versus beta, so might get that when it comes out.

EVO starts tomorrow anyway, and while I’m a little miffed that Mk11 has its final on the Saturday instead of on grand finals day, they’ve made Smash last in the Sunday so there won’t be any ‘dear god can smash be over so we can get to something I want to watch’ hours this year.
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

^ Granblue Fantasy Versus.

That looks brilliant. I would get it but I suspect it'll be DOA online like the majority of fighting games. Might do, anyway. I love the hit stun and movement, looks very satisfying and chunky.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

There’s a trailer out now for Nightwolf in Mk11 as well, he’s pretty much a completely new build, doesn’t look much like how he played in earlier games.

He seems to be able to use spirit animal powers and so I found myself humming the theme to Bravestarr as i watched it.
James

Post by James »

Flabyo wrote: August 1st, 2019, 7:14 am Capcom have apparently remembered that SFV exists... surprised this dropped now rather than at EVO on Sunday, maybe they’re sulking cause they’re not the final game anymore.
AFAIK, it was leaked via a Steam store page update earlier this week, so Capcom decided to officially announce today rather than during EVO Top 8. Ono has been Tweeting his disappointment about the whole thing.

I'm thrilled we're seeing some kind of update after 7 of the quietest months the game has had since launch. However, I also kinda hope that this is the final hurrah for SFV, before something new for next gen. Capcom have, in my estimation, made a consistent mess of the game's modes, monetisation, weekly challenges and content roll out.

They really need to get a handle on their in-game economy. They've been incredibly inconsistent, and have tried everything from season passes to loot boxes to weekly challenges to free updates in order to generate ongoing player interest. But if everything from characters to stages to costumes to titles to colours is going to cost money, then I can't help feel they need to do a better job of providing a rounded product.

KI and MK, amongst others, have upped the ante in terms of what a fighting game package can look like this gen. Meanwhile, Capcom have fluffed two major releases (SFV and MvC:I), not due to either game's fighting mechanics/systems (IMO), but rather their presentation, value, polish and content. With Monster Hunter, Resident Evil and DMC, Capcom's stock might be on the rise, but I really feel their fighting game teams need to radically shake things up.

Anyway, excited to give Honda, Poison and Lucia a try next week, and until then I get to be a giddy kid watching EVO. :mrgreen:

Also, I'm thrilled that SFV's finals will be on earlier on Sunday than usual. 8pm BST, so no horrendously irresponsible late night for me!