The Street Fighter thread

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Beck

Re: The Street Fighter thread

Post by Beck »

I wasn't a fan of Street Fighter V, I missed the solo player stuff. I'm really interested in Street Fighter V Arcade so toying with picking it up at launch, however Dragon Ball FighterZ releases in January as well.

The anniversary collection looks great, playing some of the older games again with friends will hopefully be good fun.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

If you already own SFV the arcade edition is a free update.

The only reason to buy the new boxed release is if you don’t already own the game.
James

Post by James »

Worth bearing in mind that AE includes the characters added in Season 1 and Season 2. The total for both character passes is currently £40.98, whilst buying each character in-game is £4.99 a pop (£59.88 for all 12), presuming you don't opt for Fight Money purchases (100K FM per character, 1.2million FM total). The AE is currently £29.99 on Amazon, making it the cheapest real-world-currency option.

So, I agree entirely, for new players, AE over vanilla SFV is a no-brainer. But I also think it's a viable purchase for anyone who fell off SFV before DLC characters were added, and wants to jump in with both feet now. Though obviously it might irk having paid for the game twice, however much economic sense it might make.

Worth noting as an aside, the 9 bonus costumes included with AE pre-orders are going to be available with Season 3 character passes purchased between 16th and 31st January 2018. Which I think is only right.

If you're all-in (already bought all DLC characters), or brand new to SFV, I guess it's pretty clear what to do; for everyone else, it's kind of a weird situation, I think.
James

Post by James »

Apologies for providing only UK prices. I was too lazy to bounce around the various worldwide PSN and Steam pages, but am pretty sure (from a glance at Shoryuken news articles) that the economics work out much the same across the board. Again, apologies. :oops:
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

James wrote: December 13th, 2017, 1:47 pm Apologies for providing only UK prices. I was too lazy to bounce around the various worldwide PSN and Steam pages, but am pretty sure (from a glance at Shoryuken news articles) that the economics work out much the same across the board. Again, apologies. :oops:
As an aside, but in this Information Age of ours, I'd like to think that most adults are already well used to dealing with time zones, varying currencies and measurement units. It's certainly nice when people go the extra mile and convert this kind of stuff for others, but it's not that big of a deal if they don't.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

Yeah, I guess if you don’t already have the dlc from the first two seasons it probably does work out cheaper to just buy AE given there’ll be deals out on it from most places.
Beck

Post by Beck »

Thanks for the information Gents :)

I've not got a copy of the game, I sold my copy after getting a bit annoyed with it. I'll probably go for the AE version as I would like to try out some of the characters available in the previous seasons.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

I really like the new arcade mode stuff in this. Nice little nostalgia hit with the music remixes and characters wearing era appropriate costumes. A lot of gallery stuff to unlock by playing it as well.

And for fellow game music fans... they’ve added a place to listen to all the music! Woo!
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

And rewatch the ‘one time only’ intro movies - hallelujah!
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

Is there an option to pay to upgrade to AE so I get all the new characters? Tempted to jump back in.

Also is it worth picking up Ultra 2 for Switch? Seen mixed reports
Michiel K

Post by Michiel K »

Only if you buy a new copy of the game will you get all the characters, save for the upcoming ones (season 3), I believe.
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

If you have SFV, you'll automatically get the AE update. However, that does not include any of the characters, you'll still need to pay for the season passes for them. There are now three character season passes, I believe, and the third season begins or has just begun with Sakura.

You can also use in-game fight money to buy characters, plus stages and some costumes. It is actually possible to buy stuff this way, as well, it's not overly generous but it's not total grind bullshit, either.

The season passes were on sale over Christmas so I'd keep an eye out, they'll inevitably stick them on sale again because it's money for nothing for Capcom.
Beck

Post by Beck »

ShopTo are selling the Arcade Edition at £24.85 at the moment.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

Seriously, how good is this version of Sakura’s theme? It’s as if 90s band ‘Chicane’ remixed it...

Sinclair Gregstrum

Post by Sinclair Gregstrum »

30th Anniversary Collection can be preordered from Amazon for £22.99 on Xbox One and PS4 if you’ve got Prime. Ridiculous value!

Shit out of luck if you’re a Switch owner mind - £36.99! I’d love to have this collection on the go, but refuse to endorse the disparity in pricing that effects pretty much every multiplat on the system right now, so it’s homebased Street Fighting for me!
ColinAlonso

Post by ColinAlonso »

I'm not a fighting game fan but I do want the collection on Switch in particular for a bit of casual pick up and play wherever I feel like.

I will wait until that price comes down though, its a massive difference.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

Should be noted that if you’re preordering it for XBO or PS4 you get a free copy of Ultra SF4 tossed in.

Not on the switch though, there isn’t an already existing port of SF4 for them to give you.
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

I will be getting it day one for Switch. I will probably get 1000's of hours out of it in handheld mode.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Anybody watching Evo later today?

https://www.twitch.tv/evo
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

Absolutely.

SFV and The SF anniversary collection are both on sale all weekend.

(And Tekken 7 is free to play for Xbox live gold members all weekend too)