The Street Fighter thread

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
ratsoalbion
Admin

The Street Fighter thread

Post by ratsoalbion »

We're going to need this anyway for the upcoming show on SFII, but what a good time to kick it off today as it turns out that the (1.92GB) Ultra SFIV update has gone live a day earlier than scheduled:
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014- ... e-live-now

FIGHT!
:D

Oh, and there's a separate 'costume compatibility' update (under 50MB) for those of us who have bought vanity add-ons in the past too).
;)
Flabyo

Re: The Street Fighter thread

Post by Flabyo »

If I didn't suck with charge characters I'd probably put more time into Decapre, she seemed pretty fun to use when I played last night. Part of that is your opponents not really knowing what she does, I remember having a similar experience early on using Juri in SSF4.
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

Any interest in a few rounds of Ultra on 360 Saturday evening from about 5ish?.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

Not going to be near my 360 this weekend unfortunately.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

I might well be around at that sort of time, DB.
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

First online fight with Poison and a win even though I was figuring out her moves on the fly! :)
PressEscToExit

Post by PressEscToExit »

Anybody having problems with BP and PP randomly disappearing? I somehow lost 200 PP since yesterday without playing a match, and earlier tonight I managed to rank my Cody up to D+ twice :?
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

I'll have a look and see if it happens for me. I'm online now on 360 tag bigrich1979 if anyone fancies a few scraps.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

I'm just watching the tennis with my g/f at the mo but if you're still on a bit later... :)
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

I might be if Seth hasn't made me smash my controller to smithereens
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

So far absolutely love Ultra, played nothing but Poison so far. She's a good fighter and quite handy. I'm looking forward to see if she becomes my top tier with Guy and Juri.

Played too many Ryu/Kens but apart from that it's been a good mix, not run into any other of the newbies yet apart from Hugo once. T Hawk seems massively over powered, I've been hammered everytime I've fought him his throw reach seems ridiculous.

Giving the option of both Ultras slightly weakened is interesting, I've not got my head round why you'd use Poisons 2nd ultra at all it seems weak and with little range. The trade off if you have both is that they are not as strong as if you just had the one. I've been in fights where I'm sure I would've lost if they had only picked one. Currently uploading a fight I've just had with a Ryu from the game to YouTube to see how easy it is. I'll post a link if it works.
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

It's uploaded but the quality doesn't look great on my phone. Here's me playing Street Fighter badly ;)

Ultra Street Fighter IV battle: Poison vs Ryu:
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

It's telling me it's set to private, which seems weird if you used the built-in uploader..!
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

ratsoalbion wrote:It's telling me it's set to private, which seems weird if you used the built-in uploader..!
Yeah I've noticed that and I can't see where it is set to private either. It only uploads in 360 too so the quality isn't great. It took about 30 minutes to load one up and you can't use your xbox whilst it's doing it.

Noticed last night that they haven't included challenge levels for the newbies which is disappointing as it's a good way to learn a lot of the combos and specials.
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

I've gone into the edit on the video via YouTube and it's automatically set to private. It's now public! Currently uploading a fight from a couple of years ago, it's great that data from then is still available.

Not managed to complete it in one Credit yet, I'm fine till I get to Seth. The uppercut into piledriver seems to be uncounterable
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Friend request sent btw Rich! :)
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

Cool, probably won't get chance to play today I'm going to leave it uploading when I go out.
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

Juri V Cammy

Ultra Street Fighter IV battle: Juri vs Cammy:

Currently uploading a Guy vs a decent Ryu which shows what a great character Guy is against the Ryu/Kens of this world! ;)

It uploads each one privately so you need to edit it to public once it's up. Basically when you upload a fight it'll replay it once normally then again in super slo mo whilst a rec flashes in the corner. It'll then show a screen showing it's uploading the clip that takes another 2 minutes.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Re: Our next podcast recording: Street Fighter II

Post by ratsoalbion »

This coming Thursday (12th June) we're set to record an ambitious edition of the podcast featuring Capcom's legendary one-on-one game of fisticuffs from 1991's Street Fighter II all that way up to Super Street Fighter II Turbo (1994) and even beyond to Hyper (2003) and HD Remix (2008). Something like seven distinct versions, countless more variants if you include the myriad bootlegs and ports:

The World Warrior
Champion Edition
Hyper Fighting/Turbo
Super
Super Turbo
Hyper
HD Remix

We'd love to pepper the show with your memories of playing any version of SFII be it in the arcades or at home. You don't need to have been any good - or even to have liked the game - but recollections and anecdotes of playing those games, particularly with PALs are very welcome.

By the way if any of you oldies have anything to say about the original Street Fighter (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Street_Fig ... ideo_game)) that would also be good as we intend to take a brief look at that one (and its appalling home conversions) also.

Thanks very much!
:)
DomsBeard

Re: Our next podcast recording: Street Fighter II

Post by DomsBeard »

Where do I begin (apologies if this is too long).

I remember the original Street Fighter being in my local arcade in the late 80's it was pretty forgettable and a 2 player game was pretty much decided by whoever got the dragon punch in first. A rich friend of mine had either a neo geo or a pc engine with a copy of this which must've cost a fortune back then as those kind of games did.

Street Fighter 2 came like a bolt out of the blue in the arcade, as back then most machines (including Capcoms own Final Fight) seemed to be coin guzzlers. It was 20p a go and I remember picking Ken as I knew he was a mirror of Ryu but he was a bit more flash. Everyone back then seemed to be either Ken or Ryu with the odd top players being Guile. E Honda/Zangief were too slow, Chun Li/Dhalsim too weak, Blanka was a bit of a wild card yet Guile with his Sonic Boom/ Flash Kick was probably the 3rd most popular.

I once got throttled by a guy in his thirties (I must've been about 12-13) after my Ken had beaten his Ryu seven times in a row, he was banned after that! ;). I pretty much spent every spare bit of pocket money I had each weekend playing SF2, I used to get £2 on a Saturday which would get me 5 plays at 20p a pop. Me and a friend would then buy a £1.99 happy meal and get 2 receipts to give our parents as we were not allowed in the arcade as it was a "waste of money". This got more difficult when a new small arcade opened closer to my home which was next to the local shop and pub so one of us had to keep an eye out for any parents family on the way.

It was in this new arcade that I first played Championship edition. It was great to finally stop rowing about who got to pick Ken each time. It was the first time I played someone who played with his arms crossed (using his right on the joystick and left for buttons) as he swore it was easier to pull off dragon punches. Being able to play as the boss characters seemed fun for about 10 minutes but back then money was precious so sticking with Ken and trying to leave the arcade with the highest score and see your initials in the middle top of the screen was a great feeling.

Daft rumours began to circulate that there was a hacked version of Street Fighter 2 doing the rounds where Ryu threw red fireballs that could finish a round in three seconds and Ken fired about 10 standard fireballs out everytime he did a dragon punch. We finally got to sample this mod and it was ridiculous, bouts would be over in 3 seconds as whoevers dragon punch landed first won the round with a perfect in 3 seconds. It finally put to bed the rumours that if you perfected every round including Bison (he's Bison not Vega ;)) you got to fight Sheng Long. Spending your 20p on a coin toss soon got boring and eventually Championship edition was put back in until my favourite of the series arrived....

Street Fighter 2 Turbo was a revelation for me when it came out. It was so fast!, it felt like a proper decent update and I think some of the characters had been balanced better and Ken got a flaming dragon punch and Ryu a flaming fireball. Chun Li tempted a few people with her new addition a fireball as did Blanka with his spin attack that was a perfect counter for fireball spamming.

During this time the SNES edition came out and I was lucky enough to get the Street Fighter 2 bundle for Christmas (guessing 1993 it had been out a while on SNES before I got it) and used that as a practice even though it was at a snails pace compared to Turbo by then. I sat up Christmas Eve watching a video that was included in mean machines with Jaz Rignall doing a let's play. It was great but it was missing the randomness of the arcade face to face opponent.

I can remember the day that Super Street Fighter 2 came in. It got its own new cabinet and everything! The owner of the arcade was raving about the new sound chip (Q chip?) and told the guy installing it to turn the volume up loud, it blew the speakers within the first hour of it being put in so we had to play it on silent. I didn't like the new mixes to be honest nor Ken now having an American accent as much sense as it made. The new fighters were a nice addition except for Deejay who turned into a complete nemesis for me. Whether I played him round 1 or 7 he'd beat me (this continues into 4 as well!!!) I did play with Fei Long for a bit as well as Cammy, T Hawk didn't appeal even though he seemed to be an upgrade on Zangief.

It was still a great game aside from sound and I saved and paid a daft amount of money for an import copy for my SNES from my local indie store. This worked out well as both arcades close to me died at that point sadly. Home gaming had exploded at that point.

Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo turned me off with the addition of the super bars. Back then I felt that it seemed to spoil the purity of the game and it became a game of trying to get your super ready to unleash at the right moment so it lost a bit of magic for me being a very old school street fighter.

I've bought the HD Remix but to be honest myself and the world had moved on by then to Super Street Fighter IV.

What can I say, a great game that has been a regular part of my gaming life for over 20 years now through its various iterations.

Would I recommend it now? Probably not with Ultra Street Fighter IV out.

But yeah at the time gaming perfection that changed the arcade and beat em up game forever.

Sorry for the long post! :)