The Street Fighter thread

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Suits

Re: The Street Fighter thread

Post by Suits »

Joshihatsumitsu wrote: Second-hand Japanese games are always in immaculate condition! Which is to say that when you go and buy game at Mandarake, for example, you will see some people behind the counter cleaning out carts and placing games and whatnot on protective covers, etc... there's a level of care that has not necessary come to the west when it come to second-hand shopping!

Nice buy! :D
I've got a few that have seen better days. Super Mario World is a bit sun faded and Super Mario Kart has a worn/torn corner but you're right my others are all very good.

I love the feel and the smell of the cardboard, plus I think the artwork bounces off them better than that anything else you get.

This Mandrake place sounds like my kind of place !!

This SF2T is probably the best condition one, it came with loads of leaflets and such. I love it.

The game is pretty damn awesome too 8-) .
Michiel K

Post by Michiel K »

Suits wrote:Image
Lovely.
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

So I re-download 4 tonight and there are still people playing it online on ps4!. Had some good fights on there made me miss Juri, not picked her up in 5 yet
Suits

Post by Suits »

Man, I suck hard at Street Fighter 2 Turbo in the SNES :lol: .

I just have no consistency. I've recently changed to using my Scoremaster joystick, which I expect isn't the best one available but makes it more fun.

I keep getting stuck on bloody Ryu. He just keeps throwing fireballs and combo kick to low kicking me. Git.

It's fun trying out different approaches but I don't think I'm getting better :lol: .

I need to practice the fundamental basics I think. Might knock down a bit on the hardness setting.
Joshihatsumitsu

Post by Joshihatsumitsu »

Suits wrote:Man, I suck hard at Street Fighter 2 Turbo in the SNES :lol:
I still have my copy of Street Fighter 2 Turbo, and and my SNES from when I was a kid. And the only reason that I don't revisit it is because my control pad mostly survived that period of my childhood, where I didn't appreciate the expense of replacing controllers...

But I will say that all the time I spent playing that game was not wasted. Every quarter-circle, back-forward move from that time onwards is hard-wired into my brain. No matter what 2D fighter I play, whether I'm familiar with the move set of not, I will try a quarter-circle move, just to see what happens. It's all instinctive.
ADumican83

Post by ADumican83 »

I wouldn't mind playing a few fighting games. I want a fightstick to play with but don't want to commit 200 quid on one just yet. Anyone use a cheaper stick that they can recommend? I'm on PS4.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

I managed to break both of the cheaper ones I bought pretty quickly unfortunately, so I think the best thing to do is watch eBay and amazon for people selling the betters ones cheaply.
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

I went to a small scale SFV tournament recently at Horizon in Liverpool and then a larger one at Arcade Club in Bury. I thought I was OK at Street Fighter, hovering in and out of Silver tier without really playing it too much, but I couldn't go one single round with any of those guys. I can't imagine what it's like playing the pros. Interesting that the winner at Horizon was a pad player.
Joshihatsumitsu

ADumican83 wrote:I wouldn't mind playing a few fighting games. I want a fightstick to play with but don't want to commit 200 quid on one just yet. Anyone use a cheaper stick that they can recommend? I'm on PS4.
After reading this article able Mad Catz on Gamasutra (http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/2944 ... change.php) it might be worth keeping one eye out for any future developments. Might be able to pick up something cheap, eventually, maybe?

I hunted down a secondhand, mostly new Mad Catz TES (this one - http://www.madcatz.com/fightsticks/tesplus.php, not the super expensive one) through eBay, and I can use it for both my PS3 and 4. Not "cheap" cheap, but the build quality is fantastic (at least I haven't had any issues), and over the long term it's cheaper to have something sturdy than to continually replace something "affordable".

Another option: Qanba (http://www.eightarc.com). The only one I personally own is the Q4, which is not compatible with PS4, and based on that stick alone I'd say it's a very good alternative to Mad Catz - Chinese made with Sanwa parts. I haven't personally tried the Qanba Drone (http://www.eightarc.com/drone/), so I can't attest firsthand of it's quality, but maybe look in that direction as it seems like a decent balance of quality and cost. :D
ADumican83

Post by ADumican83 »

Also, is this game fixed now? I remember it not being very well recieved initially for a few reasons I can't really remember. Sounded unfinished from what I remember.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

It's still reasonably lacking if what you want from a fighting game is a strong single player component. But most of its worst issues are gone now, and there's talk of a complete rebuild of its online infrastructure. There's not really a better one on one local play fighting game out there, but it doesn't do the ancillary stuff as well as I expect Injustice 2 and tekken 7 to do when they launch later this year.
Suits

Post by Suits »

If you look at the PAL box art for SF2T where E Honda is slapping up Sagat, behind them, almost invisible, is a meditating Dhalsim.

Never knew that.
James

Post by James »

I had no idea. Seems almost pointless that he's there, but there he is!
Michiel K

Post by Michiel K »

Wow, yeah...
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

I can't see it!
James

Post by James »

He's in his levitating meditation position (cross legged). His knees are right below Sagat's right elbow and Honda's left armpit, and his shoulders are right next to Sagat's right wrist and Honda's left elbow (on the top most of his three shadow arms). :-)
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Oh OK, I guess I thought that was just the Mount Fuji from the backdrop somewhat obscured by the motion of Honda's Hundred hand slap.
James

Post by James »

He does fit rather neatly into the big purple mountain, for sure!
Suits

Post by Suits »

I was reading a piece from an interview where Mick McGinty who designed the box art for the release was talking about how he interacted with Capcom about how the art was going to look for the title.

He then went on to talk about the Dhalsim image in it.

I instantly rushed to the box and searched for it.
Joshihatsumitsu

PAL covers are so very odd. I just want to know what is going through Sagat's head. Is he thinking about errands he has to run later in the day? Does he have to remember to pick up some milk?