The Street Fighter thread

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
DomsBeard

Re: The Street Fighter thread

Post by DomsBeard »

James wrote: August 1st, 2019, 10:19 pm
Flabyo wrote: August 1st, 2019, 7:14 am Capcom have apparently remembered that SFV exists... surprised this dropped now rather than at EVO on Sunday, maybe they’re sulking cause they’re not the final game anymore.
AFAIK, it was leaked via a Steam store page update earlier this week, so Capcom decided to officially announce today rather than during EVO Top 8. Ono has been Tweeting his disappointment about the whole thing.

I'm thrilled we're seeing some kind of update after 7 of the quietest months the game has had since launch. However, I also kinda hope that this is the final hurrah for SFV, before something new for next gen. Capcom have, in my estimation, made a consistent mess of the game's modes, monetisation, weekly challenges and content roll out.

They really need to get a handle on their in-game economy. They've been incredibly inconsistent, and have tried everything from season passes to loot boxes to weekly challenges to free updates in order to generate ongoing player interest. But if everything from characters to stages to costumes to titles to colours is going to cost money, then I can't help feel they need to do a better job of providing a rounded product.

KI and MK, amongst others, have upped the ante in terms of what a fighting game package can look like this gen. Meanwhile, Capcom have fluffed two major releases (SFV and MvC:I), not due to either game's fighting mechanics/systems (IMO), but rather their presentation, value, polish and content. With Monster Hunter, Resident Evil and DMC, Capcom's stock might be on the rise, but I really feel their fighting game teams need to radically shake things up.

Anyway, excited to give Honda, Poison and Lucia a try next week, and until then I get to be a giddy kid watching EVO. :mrgreen:

Also, I'm thrilled that SFV's finals will be on earlier on Sunday than usual. 8pm BST, so no horrendously irresponsible late night for me!
Couldn't have put it better myself
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

https://youtu.be/3UaXhe_XPsU

I might have already shared this in the thread somewhere but this Daigo vs Momochi Grand Final from 2015 is as exciting and mind-blowing as any Street Fighter I've seen. Both players seemingly at their peak and what starts out as an incredible display of footsies and tech turns into a high-risk high-reward slugfest. Unbelievable skills, unbelievable reads and subversion, nerves of steel. The commentary is also some of the best I've ever heard.
James

Post by James »

A lovely blast from the past, and the last year of SFIV on the EVO main card. Thanks for prompting me to rewatch that, Stanshall! :-D
Sinclair Gregstrum

Post by Sinclair Gregstrum »

This is a must-watch for anyone who’s ever played Street Fighter 2 and felt like the CPU is cheating. Turns out it is! And not just a bit. Quite a lot!

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2019 ... ul-cheater

Fascinating stuff!
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

No one I know of has managed to build an AI routine for a fighting game that doesn’t have to cheat in some way in order to not be a walkover. It’s a much more difficult game AI problem than a lot of people realise.

The worst thing to do is ‘input reading’, ie, have the AI actions based off directly reading what the player is inputting. But if you try to model human reaction times and human ability to remember punishes and combos etc... it just loses all the time because it can’t react to the player reacting.

I’m sure there’s a way to do it, but the AI opponent is pretty far down the list of things to work on when you’re making a fighting game.
Michiel K

Post by Michiel K »

^^^^ Excellent points.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

Interesting interview with Ono this morning on Eurogamer.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2019 ... -fighter-5

That bit about trying to do an AI opponent to teach you how to get better rather than just beat you sounds pretty interesting.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

It hasn’t been as much on my radar this year as previous years, but the final of this years Capcom Cup is about to get underway in Twitch.
duskvstweak

Post by duskvstweak »

I'm looking for some "making of" content for Street Fighter III. Does anyone know of any good articles or videos out there for the game? I can't seem to find anything.
Michiel K

Post by Michiel K »

Search on Shmuplations.com!

Pretty sure there are 1 or 2 translated dev interviews that I read before, on there.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

Oh hey, it’s a new season for SFV running from now until the end of next year.

https://blog.playstation.com/2020/08/05 ... -and-more/

I’d be willing to bet there’s a ps5 version planned as well.
duskvstweak

Post by duskvstweak »

Dan returns before Fei Long.
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

Nothing to get me over excited, I've always seen Dan as a joke that run its course. I'm presuming/hoping as I have it digitally I'll get a PS5 upgrade?
Michiel K

Post by Michiel K »

Akira from Rival Schools is pretty exciting. Lot of people are going to be happy with Rose as well. Interested to see Oro!
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

It’s the timescale on this for me that’s most eyebrow raising. This is one character a quarter for over a year. That tells you a lot about where Capcom are with their fighting game division.

There haven’t been any new fighting games announced for the next round of consoles from anyone, and I think people were hoping this new SFV season would be like the recent Mk11 one where they dropped all the new characters at once, with an eye to sf6 being announced for an early 2022 release.

But I think Capcom are still feeling burned by MvC infinite, and when you combine that with the stellar performance of Monster Hunter and the Resident Evil games... I think they’re probably not focused on street fighter right now.
NoMoreSpearows

Post by NoMoreSpearows »

I've been playing V thanks to the trial, and... I'm really enjoying it! Not every character is to my liking (I'm still very bad with charge characters, and Kage is giving me ire for some reason), but it's a take on the series that I don't think is abysmal. Kind of a Samurai Shodown feel to it, at least in the sense of dealing big damage at key times with counter hits.

Granted, I still don't have a character I'm as attached to as I was Rufus in IV, but my taste in fighting game characters has never been... typical, shall we say.
Michiel K

Post by Michiel K »

Cool, man! Let me know if you'd like to play some online versus lobbies at some point!
duskvstweak

Post by duskvstweak »

I'm not surprised it's a "light" announcement. I mean, we're still in the middle of a pandemic and I couldn't assume to understand how the work is being done. I don't think Capcom isn't concerned with SFV, but it is a game that, in this current world, won't be pulling in large, in person events and competitions. Also, on Twitter, I saw a lot of people excited to see Rival Schools was still a property that existed (my first time hearing about it!)
Michiel K

Post by Michiel K »

It's a really cool property, worth looking into!
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

The upgrade to the championship edition is on sale, so I finally decided to add Kage and the rest of season 4.

And costumes. So many costumes.