PaRappa the Rapper and UmJammer Lammy - Cane and Rinse 120

Archive for issues 101 - 150
JaySevenZero
Admin

PaRappa the Rapper and UmJammer Lammy - Cane and Rinse 120

Post by JaySevenZero » March 23rd, 2014, 12:24 pm

“Slurp it, suck it, I know we all like it.”

PaRappa the Rapper, Masaya Matsuura’s little lovelorn dog that could (rap) pretty much kick-started the rhythm-action genre single-pawed. NanaOn-Sha followed up with the twisted tale of a rocking ungulate destined to take a trip to Hell and back – UmJammer Lammy – before PaRappa the Rapper returned for one (apparently) final showdown on PS2. Leon, Darren Gargette and new Cane and Rinser Ryan Hamann contemplate the surrealist charm of the loose PaRappa ‘trilogy’ in this three game edition of the podcast.

Additional audio used in this show is as follows:

Track 1: PaRappa’s Greeting by Masaya Matsuura
Track 2: “Say ‘I Gotta Believe’” by PaRappa the Rapper Vs. Double featuring De La Soul

Cane and Rinse 120 was edited by Sean O'Brien.

You can subscribe using iTUNES or use our RSS FEED, or you can just simply DOWNLOAD IT HERE instead.

Ash

Re: PaRappa the Rapper and UmJammer Lammy - Cane and Rinse 1

Post by Ash » April 12th, 2014, 8:10 am

Just listened to the show and it really made me want to go back and replay the first game. Sadly, however, it doesn't seem to be on PSN. So I bought UmJammer Lammy instead.

Well, yuck! I'd actually played this one before, years ago, but I'd forgotten nearly everything about it. What a horribly broken game. It strikes me as spectacularly unfair that you can play every part perfectly but if you get a couple of notes off on the last two lines then you'll fail the entire song. And it doesn't help that there's no indication of what exactly you did wrong.

Worse still, I managed to beat the second stage on my first attempt by immediately getting a cool rating and then coasting through on a freestyle. A got to the end of the song with a whopping score over 3,000 points but because of the way freestyle works I only got to see what the first two lines of the song were. When most of the fun of the game is its style and humour, this seems totally at odds with itself.

Couple the above two problems together and it's entirely feasible that you could get a record breaking score but still actually fail the stage. A balancing issue that Sony will have to address if they ever make another game in the series.

Perhaps it's for the best that I couldn't get hold of PaRappa the Rapper. I suspect it has all of the same issues, but my memories of that game are much fonder and I wouldn't want them tarnishing.

dezm0nd

Re: PaRappa the Rapper and UmJammer Lammy - Cane and Rinse 120

Post by dezm0nd » December 5th, 2015, 7:20 am

Parappa the Rapper 2 is in the list of PS2 games coming to PS4 store "soon".

Exciting news for those who missed it.

DomsBeard

Re: RE: Re: PaRappa the Rapper and UmJammer Lammy - Cane and Rinse 120

Post by DomsBeard » December 5th, 2015, 12:06 pm

dezm0nd wrote:Parappa the Rapper 2 is in the list of PS2 games coming to PS4 store "soon".

Exciting news for those who missed it.
That's me, I'll forward to giving it a go

Simonsloth

Re: PaRappa the Rapper and UmJammer Lammy - Cane and Rinse 120

Post by Simonsloth » July 28th, 2019, 7:03 am

I’ve been trying on and off to get through parappa the rapper over the last decade or so. On the original console release I could never get past the cheap cheap stage. I sold my original ps1 copy when the PS4 remaster came out thinking I would continue my conquest there.

The stage is even more broken than before. You can’t rely on the on screen prompts, the music or any kind of timing. After a bit of internet research you can try and enter the prompts extremely early for the first 3/4 and maintain a good rating for the most part. The last part I got stuck on for the last 6 months giving it a whirl every week or so for 4-5 attempts.

I just did it. No rhyme or reason and with my 1 year old pulling the controller out of my hand and my headphones out of my ears.

I did the next stage immediately on my first try and reached the last sequence of the final stage on my first try also. Hopefully I’ll finish it finally after all these years.