Burnout Paradise - Cane and Rinse 136

Archive for issues 101 - 150
JaySevenZero
Admin

Burnout Paradise - Cane and Rinse 136

Post by JaySevenZero » July 13th, 2014, 10:39 am

“You’re so fine, I want you mine, you’re so delicious, I think about you all the time, you’re so addictive…”

Bringing our journey through the Burnout series to a close we come to Criterion's final 'proper' game bearing the name, Burnout Paradise. Cruising around Paradise City are Leon, Darren, James and Karl, plus we also hear from a fleet of Cane and Rinse correspondents and, intriguingly, we get some exclusive and official insight into the making of Paradise from lead gameplay programmer Iain Angus.

Additional audio used in this show is as follows:

Track 1: Paradise City by Guns N' Roses
Track 2: Girlfriend by Avril Lavigne
Track 3: Burnout 2002 Reprise by Stephen Root
Track 4: Stand and Deliver by Adam and the Ants

Cane and Rinse 136 was edited by Darren Gargette.

You can subscribe using iTUNES or use our RSS FEED, or you can just simply DOWNLOAD IT HERE instead.

Scrustle

Re: Burnout Paradise - Cane and Rinse 136

Post by Scrustle » July 14th, 2014, 8:14 pm

Another brilliant episode. I really liked the input from an actual developer too. It's really cool to get the insight like that. It's kind of sad though, hearing about the downfall of Criterion from someone on the inside, and how little chance the series has at a future. Although at this point it's probably best that it ends like this, instead of it being dragged up again by a less competent studio.

It's depressing to hear about the attitude of EA in general as well. The way they only focus on the biggest hits. Not only is that obviously foolishness, but all those games listed that EA tend to focus on now, I just have no interest in at all. While some of the best memories I have of gaming come from stuff like Burnout and SSX.

It's a bit strange hearing just how much more popular NFS is over Burnout though. Although I get that NFS would be because of licensed cars, I always felt like Burnout was a juggernaut in the genre alongside NFS. Just goes to show how easily people are swayed by certain things that aren't really that important.

I have played NFS Hot Pursuit 2, but I had no idea that the PS2 version was different than the others. I think I had it on GC myself. I might have to look more in to that.

That bit about Sony saying the first Burnout was too hard to beat was weird though. Doesn't seem particularly hard to me. I guess it depends on what car you use. But still, when I played through it recently I found using the muscle car at the start was stupidly hard, so I dropped down to an easier car. But then when I unlocked the Saloon GT, which was also "hard", I found using that not really too hard at all.

I'm surprised there was no mention of Midnight Club in that interview though. The open structure of races seems undeniably similar to me, and there was mention of other similar games. Also, I have a feeling the Midnight Club games may have been at 60fps too. I haven't read any official figures on it, but given how insanely fast those games are, as well as how smooth they feel to play, I'd imagine that they would have to be. With the PS2/Xbox versions at least.

registradus

Re: Burnout Paradise - Cane and Rinse 136

Post by registradus » September 4th, 2014, 3:58 am

Need For Speed Most Wanted 2012 has challenges. and the multiplayer is great.