Too Human - Cane and Rinse 178

Archive for issues 151 - 200
ratsoalbion
Admin

Too Human - Cane and Rinse 178

Post by ratsoalbion » May 31st, 2015, 5:14 pm

“This one red hour will make your reputation or mine… are you right with your maker?”

Silicon Knights‘ 2008 Xbox 360 exclusive, Too Human, was supposed to be the first in a trilogy of games. It was supposed to be the best game Denis Dyack’s studio had ever produced. James, Brian and Sean Bell dissect what went right, what went wrong, and the reputation and legacy of this ‘CyberNorse’ action RPG.

Additional audio used in this show is as follows:

Track 1: World Serpent Action by Steve Henifin

Cane and Rinse 178 was edited by Ryan Hamann.

You can subscribe using iTUNES or use our RSS FEED, or you can just simply DOWNLOAD IT HERE instead.

Flabyo

Re: Too Human - Cane and Rinse 178

Post by Flabyo » June 2nd, 2015, 1:17 pm

On the outcome of the court case, I think the recall only applied to stock that hadn't been sold into the retail channel. So it was stock sitting in warehouses rather than stock already on shelves.

Erasing of code you no longer have permission to use for whatever reason is something I've heard of before. Not usually on this scale, it's usually when you had a limited licence for a piece of middleware and when that expires you're meant to erase the middleware from your archive of the project. Stuff like the mp3 playback library code in an old DOS game, you're delete that source and if you want to reissue the game you'd need to re-licence and re-implement the missing functions. This is all from the days before the GPL and Creative Commons etc... (you'll note that most modern games use small utility libraries like speedtree and simplygon and that there's often pastes of the licence for them in the credits). The industry is much better at proper attribution now than it was back in the early noughties.

The_reviewist

Post by The_reviewist » June 9th, 2015, 10:25 am

I really wanted to play along with this one. But there were a series of amusingly unfortunate events that stopped me!

About 2 weeks before the podcast was due to be recorded, I cracked open my Too Human DVD case, only to find that it didn't have Too Human inside, instead there was a Bulletstorm dvd.
Hrrm... though I. So I opened up Bulletstorm, but there was only Bulletstorm in there as well. Turns out whenever I picked up Too Human (from some 2nd hand shop no doubt or eBay, I forget) they'd given me the wrong disc. This was doubly annoying as I'd bought Bulletstorm AFTER this and if I'd looked inside, I'd have known this months ago.

So I popped onto eBay and ordered a copy for the princely sum of £1.50 plus postage. It was due to arrive that weeked.
It didn't arrive.

By the middle of the next week I was becoming concerned. Then finally I got a note through from the post office, that the game had been sent with insufficient postage. So it was the following Monday I got my hands on the disc and the wednesday before I ever got a chance to play it.

I'll still crack through it before I give the podcast a listen, but just goes to show... the best paid plans and all that!

ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion » June 9th, 2015, 10:40 am

It's a game I've not played myself but I admire your dedication! :)

registradus

Post by registradus » July 1st, 2015, 10:22 pm

"Dyack and his team are currently working with Microsoft on the Too Human trilogy for the Xbox 360, and developing an exciting new game for Sega of America." https://soundcloud.com/mit-cmsw/denis-dyack