Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee - Cane and Rinse 198

Archive for issues 151 - 200
JaySevenZero
Admin

Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee - Cane and Rinse 198

Post by JaySevenZero » October 18th, 2015, 10:17 am

“All o’ ya!”

Leon, Darren and Josh put their gizzards and giblets on the line as they tiptoe back through Rupture Farms. Oddworld: Abe’s Oddysee – and its recent remake, Oddworld: New ‘n’ Tasty – are up for health and safety inspection in this analysis of Oddworld Inhabitants‘ debut title. We also feature a community contribution including one from the developers themselves as part of our Three Word Reviews.

Music used in this issue:

Track 1: Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee opening by Ellen Meijers-Gabriel and Josh Gabriel

Track 2: This is Rupture Farms by Ellen Meijers-Gabriel and Josh Gabriel

Cane and Rinse 198 was edited by Jay Taylor.

You can subscribe using iTUNES or use our RSS FEED, or you can just simply DOWNLOAD IT HERE instead.

Combine Hunter

Re: Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee - Cane and Rinse 198

Post by Combine Hunter » October 21st, 2015, 8:36 am

Apologises for my mistake on this episode ladies and gents. There are 299 modokons to save in New 'n' Tasty, but only 99 in the original Abe's Oddysee. So for that part of the podcast, I was living in a fantasy realm I had created, whoops.

ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion » October 21st, 2015, 9:09 am

I'm sure people will understand our error. We try to get everything as spot-on as possible but inevitably make the odd boo-boo!

Alex79uk

Post by Alex79uk » October 21st, 2015, 2:02 pm

Well I was going to listen but I won't bother now...

:(

Not really! Great episode as usual.

Bakers_12

Post by Bakers_12 » October 24th, 2015, 7:58 pm

Top podcast lads!! Talk of the demo took me back to my collage days.
I think the in game ads that you talked about where linked to games that where on PlayStation plus for free when you're playing it.

ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion » October 24th, 2015, 8:21 pm

Ah, that makes sense!

dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd » October 24th, 2015, 8:25 pm

Still rubs me the wrong way, though. :)

dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd » March 15th, 2016, 7:35 pm

gallo_pinto

Post by gallo_pinto » July 29th, 2016, 10:53 pm

Apologies again for coming so late to the party! I just beat New 'n' Tasty and so I only just listened to this podcast. I watched the comparison video from Matthewmatosis that was mentioned in the podcast and all of that was really interesting. I have no connection to the original Abe's Oddyssey, so New 'n' Tasty was my introduction to the franchise. But after watching that comparison video, I think I agree that the art style of the PS1 game meshed better with the themes and atmosphere of the game. I still enjoyed New 'n' Tasty, but I am tempted to try playing it again as the PS Classic.

I enjoyed the game a lot for all of the reasons mentioned on this podcast and I am excited to play through the rest of the series. I did want to mention that the Vita version feels very unstable. I was able to complete it, but there were a lot of bugs, freezes and hard crashes. I wouldn't recommend the Vita version to people wanting to play this game. And one of the only areas where I found myself disagreeing with the panel was about the bad ending. I know that it wasn't supposed to be a warm and fuzzy ending, but watching the protagonist that I had grown to love over the course of the game screaming and pleading for his life right before being dropped into a meat grinder was too much for me :o :shock: :? . I'm 29 and I was a bit traumatized by it. I'm really glad I didn't play it as a 12 year old!