GoldenEye 007 - Cane and Rinse 200

Archive for issues 151 - 200
JaySevenZero
Admin

GoldenEye 007 - Cane and Rinse 200

Post by JaySevenZero » November 1st, 2015, 2:11 pm

“For England, James?”

Because we failed to do it for issue 007, finally here it is for issue 200. That’s right, to polish off our fourth year of the podcast we uncover the mystery and magic of Rare’s much loved license, GoldenEye 007. Leon, Brian, Darren and Tony – along with a cartel of community contributors – reminisce about the innovations that the single-player added to the genre and the hours of fun that the split-screen multiplayer brought to the party. This being Cane and Rinse, we also discuss at length whether or not the game is worth returning to now, some 18 years on from its release at the time of recording.

Music used in this issue:

Track 1: Nintendo Rareware & Opening by Grant Kirkhope and Graeme Norgate

Track 2: Chemical Warfare Facility by Grant Kirkhope and Graeme Norgate

Cane and Rinse 200 was edited by Sean O'Brien.

You can subscribe using iTUNES or use our RSS FEED, or you can just simply DOWNLOAD IT HERE instead.

dezm0nd

Re: GoldenEye 007 - Cane and Rinse 200

Post by dezm0nd » November 1st, 2015, 3:58 pm

We spoke about some websites worth visiting in this podcast. I thought I had better link them here just to keep our lovely community in the loop!

Martin Hollis talks dev.

Goldeneye - Silo running on the Xbox 360.

More information on the 360 version *weep*

http://www.unseen64.net/2010/02/07/gold ... cancelled/

Goldeneye beta links

http://www.unseen64.net/2010/01/11/gold ... -analysis/

https://tcrf.net/GoldenEye_007_(Nintendo_64)

Did you know?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hO0b2HjRXBg

The Making of written article.

http://www.nowgamer.com/the-making-of-goldeneye/

Everyone loves a list.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/alanwhite/thing ... oaN51POvZa
http://www.rantgamer.com/2014/12/11/thi ... eneye-007/

DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard » November 1st, 2015, 4:31 pm

Loving the show so far chaps!

dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd » November 1st, 2015, 10:14 pm

Quite a nice bit of timing!

ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion » November 1st, 2015, 10:44 pm

Methinks both our podcast and their video may have been planned around the release of SPECTRE.

dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd » November 2nd, 2015, 7:48 am

Never heard of it ;)

KissMammal

Post by KissMammal » November 2nd, 2015, 4:46 pm

Just wanted to say congratulations to you all on reaching 200 episodes, and doing it in style with a title of appropriate stature. The latest run of episodes have been excellent as ever, from Oddworld and Monkey Island to the Halo series. My only regret is that I didn't get around to contributing more.

Cane & Rinse remains absolutely essential - it's easily one of my very favourite podcasts (and I listen to a lot of podcasts :lol: ). So keep up the fantastic work - I'm eagerly awaiting volume 5 and I can't wait to see what you have in store. Zelda series - yessss!

ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion » November 2nd, 2015, 6:18 pm

Thanks KM!
:D

dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd » November 2nd, 2015, 7:08 pm

Thank you KM! The show wouldn't be as brilliant without the listener feedback, too! Together, we all make well good podcasts :)

Greg

Post by Greg » November 3rd, 2015, 2:30 am

Thoroughly enjoyed the podcast on one of my all time favourite games. After listening to how the contributors thought the game was a threshold for FPSs I'd like to add my memories too. Instead of describing the seismic shift in video games it caused at the time I'd like to recall an indirect consequence it had in my household at the time.

My mum had paid about as much attention to video games as the dog sleeping on the floor did. In all my years playing video games she had never once asked me
anything about them. Her stance seemed to be of complete disinterest. In fact, so much so that I genuinely wondered if people her age could actually see what was on the screen. I had assumed all they could see was a blurry mess of colours.

And so it was Goldeneye that broke through that wall of complete disinterest. It must of been Christmas 1997 when she came in to my room, for whatever
reason, and I was playing Goldeneye. It stopped her in her tracks. A combination of the 3D, the first person perspective, the real-life environments, the animation and whatever else she hadn't seen before must of been enough to make it something tangible to her. She started asking me all about it. Then, much to my delight, she asked if she could play it. Keen to impress her and show her video games had some merit to them I jumped at the opportunity to show her.

Predictably she was absolutely terrible at it, a large part of the time was spent looking at the floor or walls. But I remember her laughing at the novelty and sheer interactivity of it and and screaming in terror when being shot at. I'd like to say that from then on she became an avid gamer but, despite her enjoyment, that (as far as I know) has been her one and only time playing a video game. Goldeneye had been her window in to video games and what they were all about. I'd like to think in many thousands of households across the world the same process ocured. Those that had maybe never considered video games as a worthwhile past time, maybe had their attitudes adjusted by the brilliance of Goldeneye.

dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd » November 3rd, 2015, 7:38 am

Wonderful post, thanks Greg and welcome to the forum!

caponeadam

Post by caponeadam » November 3rd, 2015, 12:34 pm

Great episode, some really interesting new information and thoughts about one of my treasured games. Thanks for linking to the design keynote above too, I was curious about it when it was being discussed.

Is it me or was there no mention of the infamous 'solo' screen multiplayer? I purchased some weird aerial signal thing that allowed you to display the same picture on two TV screens. There would be days when my mum was away and I'd invite my friend over, I'd bring my Mum's TV downstairs and have Goldeneye running on both televisions. Then stick a piece of cardboard with duct tape on the upper screen on one TV and lower screen on the other, then you could play multiplayer without seeing each others screen. The TVs would be facing away from each other but closely together so we could see if anyone was peeling the card back to see where the other one was. Even though games could easily get tedious, as we would spend more time looking for each other than anything else (especially in levels such as Aztec) and there didn't seem to be any good places for camping due to the original design of being a single television experience. Yet for two people who didn't have PCs this was still a highly surreal experience of having our own screen and not knowing where the other person was.

ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion » November 3rd, 2015, 12:52 pm

Hi Adam, thanks for the kind feedback, and welcome to the forum!

You're right - we didn't get as far as talking about signal splitters!
We did talk about single screen cardboard dividers though, and Darren's Lucozade-related incident that followed.

KissMammal

Post by KissMammal » November 3rd, 2015, 5:51 pm

Something I've always thought about GoldenEye - to me, the iconic status of the Facility level* is a strong argument against the rather sterile, symmetrical way most multiplayer maps are designed.

I always favour levels that feel like they could be real places - and have always strongly disliked the usual 'arena' style maps you get in the vast majority of multiplayer shooters - I find them boring, far more mazelike and harder to navigate and memorise, and come to think of it that's probably a large part of the reason why I don't really get on with the genre as a whole.

*we rarely played on any other level, and the same was true in Perfect Dark's thinly-disguised 'Felicity' too.

dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd » November 3rd, 2015, 8:40 pm

I think we had signal splitters at one point but ultimately getting those giant TVs in one room was a massive pain. Literally.

seansthomas

Post by seansthomas » November 3rd, 2015, 9:05 pm

Great episode guys and a fitting tribute to one of my most fondly remembered games.

Really interesting to hear Darren's story surrounding it and his efforts to investigate every nook and cranny of it too. Always been fascinate d by those bits of lost levels left in games, like the chunks of Shadow of the Colossus people still find each year.

dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd » November 4th, 2015, 7:59 am

Thanks Sean for the kind words!

It mostly involves the N64 era of videogames in which I'm fascinated with the weird way in which they were built early on but some games since then have tickled my curious nature. Half Life 2 and Super Mario Sunshine, for example.

I'm sure it happens in almost every game but how its "hidden" is what makes me interested. Who decided, if anyone, decided to put 2 weapon pick ups under Mario Kart 64's Donut arena? Weird! :D

dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd » December 9th, 2015, 9:39 pm

With Minecraft coming to Wii U, Phil Spencer speaks about bringing Goldeneye 007 to modern consoles.

http://www.destructoid.com/phil-spencer ... 5441.phtml

dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd » January 12th, 2016, 5:41 pm

rob25X

Post by rob25X » February 16th, 2017, 5:05 pm

Great episode. Thoroughly enjoyed it. Can't wait for the Perfect Dark podcast. :)