The videogame music thread (also Sound of Play submissions)

Leave us feedback and offer us your own submissions.
Spacefarer

Re: The videogame music thread (also Sound of Play submissions)

Post by Spacefarer » October 15th, 2018, 9:37 pm

Back in the early 2000s, when everyone else was raving about their brand new PS2, I was still happily plodding along with my dad's home computer. If I recall, it had a nice AMD Athlon and one of the early GeForce cards inside, and after struggling with its built-in SuSe Linux operating system, he just gave up and stuck Windows XP on it instead.

Amongst all the crap "free" software and games I filled its meagre hard drive with were a few games by a small casual games company known as PopCap. Let me tell you, King.com and their contemporaries have nothing on the majesty that was PopCap Games. But before I get sidetracked, onto the song in question.

I've picked this tune from PopCap's very own Puzzle Bobble knockoff, Dynomite. Slight caveat: don't know if it's in the game itself, but it's present in the game files...does that count? It's called Amazonas, and it was written by Peter Hajba, also known in the mod scene as Skaven.

(EDIT: it actually appears in the fossil gamemode. So it's valid! Hooray!)

In case it doesn't, here's a bit of a rarity for you. Atomica is a PopCap game lost to time, but fortunately I found a copy a few years back. Here's some music from its Strategy mode, written by a fella called Hannu Salonen.

Good luck finding artwork for either of these games for the podcast thumbnail ;)

RetroClarence

Post by RetroClarence » October 16th, 2018, 10:38 pm

This is my first post in the forum. I've been listening in for about a year but I've started at the beginning (on both the main podcast and SoP) so I'm still way behind. However, I couldn't resist a post.

I am a new co-host of the Retro Asylum Game Club and the current game is 720 Degrees on the C64 in honour of the late Ben Daglish (he was the composer). While I can appreciate the technical wizadry behind the main theme, to be honest, it starts to grate after a while and I found myself reaching for the volume button. However, the high score theme is a joy to behold and I often linger over inputting my name. The game is frantic, and tough, and hearing this thumping, victorious piece seems like a fitting reward for a game well played!

Flabyo

Post by Flabyo » October 17th, 2018, 2:34 pm

Ok, this might be stretching the limit of the ‘no licensed music’ bit, but bear with me.

Mike Ault joined the Rocket League team to compose music for the game, while they were in development he stuffed in a bunch of tracks he’d worked on privately prior to working there. In the end they kinda stuck and went on to establish Rocket League as having a primarily European Dance Music feel to it (a genre of music that is pretty huge, but massively under represented in modern video games for all sorts of reasons).

So this track first appeared publicly in Rocket League, but wasn’t strictly speaking composed for it.

Anyway... any excuse to get some 90s style trance onto the show eh?

DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard » October 18th, 2018, 4:25 pm

After playing the demo last night I have had this stuck in my head all day :D

Is this the same Kenny Young that appeared on Sound of Play?

Peditis

Post by Peditis » October 19th, 2018, 4:01 am

I just want to thank James Carter for picking Bleed & Bleed 2 for Cane & Rinse this year and introducing me to this awesome series. The latter entry has become one of my favorite games, and the soundtrack by Jukio Kallio is one of the main reasons why I enjoy it so much. The frenetic action just blends perfectly with the Metal-influenced tunes. Love it!

Suits

Post by Suits » October 21st, 2018, 11:13 am

When the organ comes in - FUNK.

RetroClarence

Post by RetroClarence » October 27th, 2018, 6:09 am

Shadow of the Colossus is a game that I've been meaning to play for years. I'm currently attempting to start from the beginning with the Cane and Rinse podcast (I know I'll never catch up) and so far I've got to Shadow of the Colossus.

Going into the game, I wasn't too excited. I enjoyed Ico but I don't think it's aged particularly well and I was expecting more of the same from Shadow of the Colossus.... until the opening theme began. From the first notes I was hooked. I know Prologue has been featured before but I think it deserves to be heard again. Rarely is a piece of music crafted to suit a particular atmosphere so well. Prologue and Shadow of the Colossus just work, they go together and I must have listened to it dozens of times.

Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth » October 28th, 2018, 7:52 pm

Another piece from the Nier soundtrack. It’s a shame I can’t describe the moment this song plays without massively spoiling the game. If I did a newcomer to the game might scoff at the fact I shed a tear in that moment because on paper it’s ridiculously absurd like everything else in this game.

ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion » November 5th, 2018, 5:42 pm

DomsBeard wrote:
October 18th, 2018, 4:25 pm
Is this the same Kenny Young that appeared on Sound of Play?
Of course!

Spacefarer

Post by Spacefarer » November 5th, 2018, 5:54 pm

This is the sort of track that you can leave on for ages and never get bored of. (It's also an Amiga track, which should hopefully win me some Leon points!) Composed by Barry Leitch, as one can discover by opening the track in a hex editor...I think?

Spoiler: never actually played this game, but it shows up often on a certain stream and it's always a good time. Since I've now got the Amiga emulator working, it may appear on mine as well... :roll:

aidano

Post by aidano » November 9th, 2018, 1:30 am

Hi guys,

I’ve been a SoP listener for the last 6 months or so and just signed up here so that I could make my first submission. I couldn’t find any evidence that this one has been played before, so here goes…

In the early 90s I got an Amiga 1200. I spent many hours tinkering on it, but in contrast to my Megadrive and SNES, I don’t remember being engrossed by very many games on the platform (Flashback, and Goal! being two notable exceptions).

One other game I remember quite well, despite only playing it about a dozen times, was No Second Prize from Thalion Software. It was a futuristic, minimalistic 3D motorcycle racing game that prioritized slickness over complexity. There were few embellishments, but what you got in return was a consistently high frame rate, and smooth, responsive mouse-based controls, which all contributed to an excellent sense of immersion.

The most notable thing for me though, and the reason this game is imprinted in my mind forever, is its intro theme tune – a slick number by Matthias Steinwachs that overlaid a futuristic synthwave with Starsky & Hutch style guitar funk. It conveyed to me that this was a game to be taken seriously, and even though I haven’t played the game in 20-odd years, this tune pops into my head from time to time. I’ll never forget it.

ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion » November 9th, 2018, 9:57 am

Welcome, nice pick!

Alex79uk

Post by Alex79uk » November 11th, 2018, 8:37 pm

I must admit, my listening to of Sound Of Play has been rather intermittent over the years, so I'm fairly sure this will have been nominated before, but there are some beautiful tracks on the Hollow Knight OST, and my personal favorite is:

The whole soundtrack is amazing, though. Quite depressing, too.

ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion » November 11th, 2018, 11:26 pm

ashman86

Post by ashman86 » November 12th, 2018, 8:42 pm

The Quest for Glory series of classic Sierra adventure games is one of my all-time favorites despite the fact that the first game launched when I was just three years old. Lori and Corey Cole, the married couple who led development on the series, combined the adventure game formula Sierra established with the King's Quest series with role-playing game character sheets and classes, and the result was something really magical.

Although the Quest for Glory games never really found the same level of success of some of Sierra's other franchises, their unique import/export mechanic, which let you carry one hero, including his stats and spells, through the entirety of the series is still referenced relatively often. It lent the series a sense of cohesion in the same way that the original Mass Effect Trilogy feels unified by its own export/import mechanics.

My first and favorite entry in the series was the penultimate one: Quest for Glory 4: Shadows of Darkness. My father bought it for me on a whim from a bargain software bin, and I don't think I'd ever fallen so hard for a game before. Tracking down its predecessors afterward was a challenge because the internet was only barely a thing. But, knowing my love for the games, my parents managed to get a copy of the Quest for Glory anthology ordered to a nearby Hastings (a now-defunct media retail chain). Playing those early, EGA (16-color) games for the first time remains one of my favorite memories.

But the piece I want to submit now for Sound of Play actually comes from the final game in the series. I have never been more hyped about the launch of a game than I was for Quest for Glory 5: Dragon Fire. The series very narrowly avoided cancellation before its story was concluded, and the story goes that Sierra only greenlit the final game in response to a petition created and signed by QFG's very passionate and vocal fanbase.

QFG5's soundtrack was composed by Chance Thomas and, if I remember correctly, performed by the Utah Symphony. A native Utahn myself, it placed the game even closer to my heart. I pre-ordered the soundtrack, which launched some time before the final game and included a playable demo, and one of the first pieces I fell in love with was this:

The Mediterranean, guitar-driven cue accompanies the hero as he explores the sights and sounds of Silmaria, a coastal city inspired by ancient Greece, by day. Merchants peddle their wares in the town square, and the city's citizens hustle from one location to the next. But as day shifts to night, the piano takes center stage, mysterious and melancholy.

It's one of my favorites, and I hope it resonates with the rest of the Sound of Play listeners.

duskvstweak

Post by duskvstweak » November 15th, 2018, 6:39 pm

Time to start posting some requests!

House of Sacred Remains from Castlevania: Lament of Innocence by Michiru Yamane

I'm not sure how Castlevania: Lament of Innocence stands in the public consciousness these days, but it was a quick highlight of an action game for me back on the PS2. And this track was a stand out. This was right before I could find EVERY piece of music on the internet, so this may have been the last time I repeatedly went back to a level in order to hear that stage's music. The orchestral parts of this track are great, but it's when that watery synthesizer comes in at the chorus that this piece truly shines.

duskvstweak

Post by duskvstweak » November 15th, 2018, 8:48 pm

Tango Alpha Bravo from Age of Empires: The Rise of Rome by Stephen Rippy.

While the sequel, Age of Kings and it's expansion, is probably a better game and the one I've spent the most time on, the original Age of Empires and it's The Rise of Rome expansion are the ones I get the most misty-eyed over. This was my first real time strategy game as a kid and, with it's historical setting, it was memorizing. I don't think I understood the game as a war simulator, it was just a simulator in my child eyes. It was as much about building a fantastically laid out base and city as it was about raging war on the surrounding nations.

This track, Tango Alpha Bravo, is the one I think of when I look back on the game. The music has a mystic quality to it, as if it's by magic that you're going to rise up above the world and not by the sweat of your miners and builders. What this track also says, to me anyway, is that your journey is just beginning. Things are as simple as they will get, but hurry up and get working because the world isn't going to sit back and wait for you to become a great civilization.