The videogame music thread

Here's where you can discuss and share music from videogames
Son_of_Sniglet

Re: SoP submissions *please read first post*

Post by Son_of_Sniglet »

Hello,

I have two suggestions for tracks from a couple great indie games.

The first is a song from the ST of a game called Neon Struct. While the main track takes obvious inspiration from Deus Ex, much like the game itself, I think it's the synth pop that plays from the game's many desk stereos that are the standouts. This one, from a group called The Home Conversion, is probably my favorite (Sorry, I couldn't find a YouTube link for this one):

https://thehomeconversion.bandcamp.com/ ... k-my-heart

The second is from the recent, but still incomplete, adventure game Kentucky Route Zero. The game has some really wonderful ambient and atmospheric tracks from composer Ben Babbitt, but the standout is actually from a small folk group The Bedquilt Ramblers, called "You've Got to Walk." It is played in the game at a very pivotal moment of the opening episode and is terrifically haunting and ethereal, which is also a good way of describing Kentucky Route Zero.

As a backup, if that song feels too overtly religious, I would still highly suggest any of the tracks from Ben Babbitt.

Cheers, and keep up the great work on this podcast.
MagicianArcana

Post by MagicianArcana »

I discovered the podcast recently and I absolutely love it. I'm especially a big fan of Sound of Play because I've always felt that music is really important in video games.

Tales of Legendia has my favorite video game soundtrack of all time. I find most of the tracks in this game to be absolutely beautiful. Even though it's one of the less popular entries in the Tales of series, it has a special place in my heart. The music combined with the scenery and story created one of my most memorable gaming experiences. The game is often overlooked, so I feel not many people know about its soundtrack and that's why I really want to share it. This track is called "Forest of No Return" and it was composed by Go Shiina. It's a dungeon theme heard early on in the game, and when I first heard it, I knew I was in for an unforgettable experience.

BarbarianStomp

Post by BarbarianStomp »

One of my favourite games of recent times has been Ori and the Blind Forest, a stunning debut for Moon Studio's, Ori alone justified my purchase of an Xbox One.

Part of the recent resurgence in the popularity of the Metroidvania genre, Ori's challenging gameplay is concealed by a beautiful hand drawn art style that wouldn't look out of place in a classic Disney movie.

The game provided me with one of the most moving and memorable openings to a game that I have ever experienced.

The music I have included is from the very beginning of the game, it is a short piece and allows the play to feel the fleeting joy experienced by Ori and Naru before tragedy strikes and the Blind Forest envelops the land.

Antoni
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

A lovely pick, thanks for posting and welcome to the forum.
:)
Todinho

Post by Todinho »

Caught myself listening to the C&C 3 soundtrack today here's my favorite track:

Soviet March-C&C Red Alert 3

I love this theme from Red Alert 3 it manages to capture the feel and energy of good soviet military songs while having completely ridiculous lyrics that perfectly match the crazy universe of Command and Conquer,it's the first thing you hear when you boot up the game and until today is the main reason I never considered playing any faction other then the Soviets!
papapishu

Post by papapishu »

My request comes from a dirty, gritty and beautiful game called Hotline Miami where the combination of visuals and music of the game is incredibly well crafted.

During missions the game does an a amazing job of pressing you on with its agressive sounding tones and strong beats. After a murder-filled mission the style and tone changes into slow, relaxed and trippy beats along with a distorted picture and flickering colors, something that can best be described as a virtual hangover.

It was hard to pick just one, but my favourite songs of the game is called Daisuke by El Huervo / Niklas Åkerblad who also did the cover artwork for both Hotline Miami 1 and 2.

Todinho

Re: The videogame music thread - share your favourite tunes here

Post by Todinho »

Like the main game Plague of Shadows ost is really good :D

FollowMyRuin

Post by FollowMyRuin »

Heal - Ico - composed by sound unit "Pentagon" (Koichi Yamazaki & Mitsukuni Murayama)

For the most part, the soundtrack in Ico seems so subtle and ambient that it's almost not there, which is accompanied by prolonged silence. Heal seems to hit a lovely niche in which it's ambient in and of itself, but different in tone making your rest on those stone couches feel very relieving.

Listening to Heal vividly takes me back to the exact time, place and mindset as when I first played Ico. Beautiful and melodic. A memorable piece for me
Eppie

Post by Eppie »

I would like to submit the track "Thus Spoke Brooks" from the game Catherine by Shoji Meguro, famous for composing the music in the Persona games.. Other translations call it "Also Sprach Brooks", but I chose the former because it is translated that way in the game. This track is the smooth and jazzy theme for The Stray Sheep bar where the cast spends most of their time. It really sets the mood for this quiet night in a peaceful bar, and really makes the atmosphere feel friendly and simultaneously lonely.

Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

I've been playing a bunch of old Megadrive games the past few months, and I've recently rediscovered my love for Road Rash.

Rob Hubbard did a lot of work for EA on the Megadrive after moving to the US, which isn't often as well remembered as his earlier C64 work in the UK.

This piece is the Pacific Coast theme, which is perfect road trip music... (if you use it, you should probably fade around the 3:30 mark rather than have two loops)

Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Oh yeah I used to love the Road Rash soundtrack. Although I did try to play the second game recently, and it wasn't quite the 60fps I remember it being in my head...

I still think there's an opportunity to bring it back, but properly. The 32bit versions of the game were a bit ropey (although they also had great soundtracks licensed from bands like Therapy? etc) but I think a cheap PSN or XBLA release, maybe a tenner, with decent multiplayer might be a big hit.

And whilst I'm at it, I really wish they'd bring Desert Strike back too. The closest we've come to that in the last decade is Renegade Ops.
wisheewashee

Post by wisheewashee »

ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Hi wisheewashee, thanks for the request and welcome to the forum.
seansthomas

Post by seansthomas »

I'd like to recommend Lara Croft Go, The Maze of Snakes.

This mobile title does the best job of capturing that sense of isolation and being trapped underground in a Tomb Raider title since the original. I love the nods to the original's menu screen and the sparse, echoey sound effects but its the soundtrack that makes the experience for me. Barren and crystal clear in sharpness of sound, some levels sound like rocks crashing on the ground or water dripping off of stalactites. There's more than a touch of Deus Ex Human Revolution's great score about this particular track but that's no bad thing in my eyes. The game is worth playing purely to hear the other great pieces of music that shadow your journey.
Michiel K

Post by Michiel K »

Hello all, I just recently discovered the Cane and Rinse podcast and have been listening to a bunch of episodes while working.

I would like to start off posting here with suggesting a piece of music for the Sound of Play podcasts. It's the stage 1 theme of Assault Suits Valken / Cybernator. Composed by Masanao Akahori, It has wicked, funky sampled bass guitar twangs in it, an industrial undertone and an exuberant, recurring synth melody. It's classic video game music in my book, pumping you up for rocket propelled dashing and firefights between towering mecha.

Although Assault Suits Valken was released in 1992 in Japan, this tune will have you believe that the 1980s were still in full effect, as it has an 80s action film OST quality to it.

WE'VE GOTTA DO IT!

ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Welcome Michiel, great pick!
seansthomas

Post by seansthomas »

If you were thinking of including Lara Croft Go, then I noticed Square Enix are putting the whole OST up on SoundCloud for free on Friday. Worth a listen for you music fans...
Todinho

Re: The videogame music thread - share your favourite tunes here

Post by Todinho »

So Undertale`s soundtrack is also pretty rad :D (and very spoilery so I`ll just put 2 tracks that dont say anything too obvious)

goatsnake

Post by goatsnake »

Stoic's The Banner Saga is one of the most visually beautiful and memorable games I have ever played, so it's no mean feat that Austin Wintory's soundtrack leaves just as big an impression as the graphics. It perfectly captures the feel of a frozen and unforgiving landscape, and the desperate struggle of the game's dwindling convoy of travellers.

My favourite track on the soundtrack is the 10 minute long Of Our Bones, the Hills, which is probably too long for the podcast (though you did say you were short on submissions!), but if you're looking for something shorter, here is Thunder Before Lightning:

Bloody Initiate

Post by Bloody Initiate »

Ice Cap Zone from Sonic 3 had my favorite music in the game and also my favorite from that era of musical limitation. The song has a constant sense of motion in the background along with a collection of sounds which remind me of the obstacles Sonic faced. The occasional heroic solo completes the memory by populating the scene with a sense of overcoming. At the time I'm sure I had a preference over Act 1 or II, but now any niggling has faded into the fog of nostalgia.

Next we have the music from the game that taught me there was more to do in games than murder and loot everything (Although the game in question made that available). Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic, and specifically the track called "Bastila Shan Theme" to me encapsulates a sampling of everything wonderful about that game. It pulls gently from Star Wars themes, but adds the pleading of strings in and out of the recognizable John Williams score.

The result is a sound which reminds you where you are, while also informing you that you are in a very different place than wherever you heard that music last. It plays in a few parts of the game to lend tragic weight to your actions and circumstances. It plays in the beginning when you are isolated with almost no one to help you in a place that needs all of your help, and later when you are once again in an extremely isolated, forgotten place, forging onward to save the galaxy.