The videogame music thread

Here's where you can discuss and share music from videogames
NokkonWud

Re: SoP submissions *please read first post*

Post by NokkonWud »

I love the Xenon 2 Megablast intro and was actually going to choose that on my first appearance but had to choose The Great Giana Sisters instead.
TheLandoBros

Post by TheLandoBros »

I wanna nominate Kimi no Kioku (Memories of you) from Persona 3
Vocals: Kawamura Yumi
Composed by: Shoji Meguro

A friend and former colleague got me to play this amazing game, and I'm forever thankful for it! This game and song is amazing, and the faster parts of the vocals are sometimes hard for the performer when performed live, which is a pretty funny detail.
Btw, thanks for all the hard work you guys put into the C&R Podcast aswell as sound of play, I work as a 3D Environment Artist in the Game Industry and your podcasts are always the highlight of the week/month! :D

(note, this is a long one, so just like in the actual game, I propose you play it in the end :) )

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-CSZDbKuL4
CODEMONKEY

Post by CODEMONKEY »

I loved R-Type on the sega master system. It was a very good port of the arcade game, although it suffered from a lot of sprite flicker (as with most SMS games did) it never detracted from the gameplay greatly. The mechanics of the game from powering up your blaster to having the shield orb in front allowed for a more strategic gameplay, do you power up the orb to fire reflective lasers or lasers that snake across the top and bottom of the screen, or go out all guns blazing with the helix laser. Each was more more suited to a particular level but it was up to the player to discover which one it would be. Each level was so different from fighting massive space xenomorphs that would take up half the screen to literally fighting a gigantic space battle ship that would take up the whole level. This truly is one of my all time favourite shoot-em-ups (not smups please).
This music played a big part of this and conveyed the exciting scifi shooting action with an electric unforgettable soundtrack.

For me growing up Alex Kidd was the best platform game ever. The levels were so imaginative. In the first level alone instead of traversing the level from left you right you would descend downwards, you could punch enemies, shoot enemies with a power ring and an underwater section. In other stages you would ride a motor cycle and fly a peddle powered gyrocopter. The boss fights were a zany rock paper scissors match to the death!.
Not sure what Sega did with the series but instead of building and expanding on the mechanics of this game they instead game changed the formula so much that it was almost a totally different game but with alex kidd's sprite cut and pasted into it and so for me the sequels if you can call them sequels never really lived up to this amazing original.
Although I'm so glad that at least sega came up with the original game in the first place. It truly has a special place in my heart and each time I hear this sound track it brings back floods of nostalgia *sniff*. Thank you sega!

CODEMONKEY

Post by CODEMONKEY »

NokkonWud wrote:I love the Xenon 2 Megablast intro and was actually going to choose that on my first appearance but had to choose The Great Giana Sisters instead.
Oh yes that was a good track, I really enjoyed that episode.
Craig

Re: The videogame music thread - share your favourite tunes here

Post by Craig »

Mystical Ninja starring Goemon had some fantastic music. It's a mix between Mario 64 and Ocarina of Time which never quite reaches the heights of either. It's a game set in Japan which references folklore and modern Japan alike and so channels a lot of the same instruments and feel as Okami. However, the game is a lot more light hearted and at times goofy than Okami and the soundtrack reflects this. Traditional Japanese sounds like the Shamisen, taiko drums and flutes filtered through rock and pop.

Of course you can't talk about Goemon without mentioning the musical segments. The first thing you see when you turn on the game is a musical segment which is more like the opening to a Japanese cartoon complete with oddly translated lyrics and seemingly random occurrences of English.

Then at several other points during the game you summon a giant robot, which of course you can't do without a musical intro.

(Nerdy note - the lyrics say "I am the best" but in Japanese he actually says I am gorgeous (you can hear gorujasu)

The castles also had a great feature which had music that had three different versions which became progressively more complex and would change depending on how far you got into the castle. I think Skyward Sword used something similar.

Here are some different versions of the gourmet submarine castle.

and here's a let's play of a different castle which you can see how it changes in action (changes at 1:56 and 5:13)

It's hard to pick out just a few tracks because the whole soundtrack is so strong, especially for an N64 title. Check it out.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Great stuff, loved this game and its soundtrack.
zen_anarchy

Post by zen_anarchy »

after playing so many hours of king's field 4 this year this sound track is etched into my mind

simply love this theme music to The Last Story very underrated work by Nobuo Uematsu most people seem to love his work on final fantasy but I prefer this

and of course who doesn't love shovel knight
Craig

Post by Craig »

The music from Ocean Horn by Uematsu is also great. Here's a short video promoting it while he wears a "Will sell wife for beer" T shirt.

CODEMONKEY

Post by CODEMONKEY »

I bought Loom near the end of the atari St life when I spotted a big box copy at a boot sale think I recall paying about £3 for it. I had played the secret of monkey island and bought this simply because it was made by Lucas film. I didn't know it even existed before that point. It was a point and click adventure similar graphically and game play wise to monkey island although it was not similar in tone. It was not a comedic game and the story played out in a more straight laced fashion. The biggest difference was that you would use music that you learnt through your adventure to solve puzzles in the game, a bit like ocarina of time. I enjoyed playing this game very much and not sure why it's not talked about more. Anyway, I originally played it on the atari St with its nice blippy tunes but while searching for the st soundtrack I stumbled upon the pc talkie version of the soundtrack and it blew me away as to how beautiful and orchestral it sounded. I never played it with this soundtrack way back when but I enjoyed listening to this version so much I had to submit this one. Hope you enjoy the intro track as much as I did.
peatear

Post by peatear »

This is a fantastic remix of The song of storms from Ocarina of Time created for The Legend of Zelda's 25th anniversary by Big Giant Circles. I really loved all the teleportation songs in OOT. A song that builds and just keeps getting better.

A remix from a few years back by RAC this takes Spring yard zone from Sonic 1 and turns it up to 11. Fantastic.
wisheewashee

Post by wisheewashee »

GerberMeister

Post by GerberMeister »

The Trials from Halo 5: Guardians by Kazuma Jinnouchi

As a long time Halo fan, Halo 4's music was not my favorite. It was actually really good when listening to it by itself but it was poorly mixed into the game and was missing the main themes from past Halo OSTs. While Halo 5 had some other issues, it's music was top notch in my opinion. This song does a perfect job of mixing some of Halo 3's best parts with the Master Chief theme set up in Halo 4. I think this song can hold up to any of the originals by Marty O'Donnell (maybe because it is half him anyway).

AlexMaskill

Post by AlexMaskill »

Slightly tenuous but I was listening to the Silent Hill podcasts (yes, I'm still catching up on old episodes!) and I was reminded of the very heavily Silent Hill-inspired work of black ambient band The Axis Of Perdition. If anyone knows their metal, it's in a similar vein to bands like Blut Aus Nord or Deathspell Omega, or a more restrained Anaal Nathrakh. For everyone else, it's really creepy industrial soundscapes with the occasional bursts of creepy discordant hipster-metal.

It expands on Yamaoka's style to similar aesthetic ends and their early/mid career stuff is very thematically tied to Silent Hill too, even going so far as to have specific shout outs. I can't imagine this is going to be up too many folks' alley here, but it's utterly chilling music when the metal goofiness isn't getting in the way.

Below is their album "Deleted Scenes From The Transition Hospital":
Donk

Post by Donk »

Good or bad, I always make a point of having the music turned up when playing a game, more often than not it will grow on me. Listening to the soundtrack on its own later will be more than just the music, it will bring back to your mind the experience of playing the game which is nice
Trying to expand my video game music taste I've listened to quite a bit of online game music radio (rainwave.cc for example) and I'll submit an amazing song here from a developer I've never heard of, from a game I never heard by a composer I never heard of.

From the game RosenKreuzStilette by developer [erka:es]
Sepperin Stage Boss Battle by AM3

Todinho

Post by Todinho »

So I still got Tales From the Borderlands in my head so I've been listening to music from the game,the most memorable music comes from the intro sequences of each episode but the track that really stood out to me was the Main Menu theme especially when I finnished the game and only let it sit there,it's this great track that starts normally then it starts to grow and morph much like the game itself,really good:

macstat

Post by macstat »

First i want to post three tunes from one of my favourite childhood adventure games "Little Big Adventure 2". Each of them has different in different mood which only shows how varied that game was. Very iconic theme that invites you to this magical world, cheerful march-like "Honey-B" and a mysteroius and even a little bit ominous "Emerald moon". At that time music was often on cd as audio tracks so i used to listen to it quite often.
Main theme

Honey-B

One more, that probably wont count since that game isnt out yet, but music in "Hyper light drifter" trailer was so amazing in building in my head story of this game that it alone sold me on it. But i hope its gonna be added to list when HLD comes out (this year i think)

hmm for some reason [youtube][/youtube] dont work for me :/ Anyone have an idea why?
Bloody Initiate

Post by Bloody Initiate »

macstat wrote: hmm for some reason [youtube][/youtube] dont work for me :/ Anyone have an idea why?
You only need to include the portion of the link that's after the = sign in between the "[youtube]" and "[/youtube]".

Any time you're curious how someone formatted something you can quote their post and see roughly how they entered it. I've struggled with a bunch of that stuff.
macstat

Post by macstat »

Thanks a lot for your tips !
mikeleddy83

Post by mikeleddy83 »

Took a while to build up some ammo for this thread again but I've been finding gold lately so I thought I'd share:

Todinho

Post by Todinho »

Now that was a tone changer wasnt it,beautifull theme though.