Sound of Play: 1

JaySevenZero
Admin

Sound of Play: 1

Post by JaySevenZero »

Welcome to the debut of our new little fortnightly podcast about our favourite videogame music - Sound of Play.

For many of us, it’s hard to think of almost any videogame without our minds conjuring up the music that accompanied it.

Over the decades they’ve evolved from simplistic monaural beeps and bloops to full orchestral scores recorded in 7.1 surround, but from their earliest days right up to today, soundtracks have played an integral part of our memories of the games we played, and the times in our lives when we were playing them.

What we aim to bring you with Sound of Play is a diverse sample of our favourites pieces from the many air-punching, spine-tingling, tear-jerking and grin-inducing videogame soundtracks we’ve heard over the years.

Of course it’s not just about what we like, you can put forward your favourites in the sticky thread at the top of this forum and we’ll start to include a selection in the playlist for each show.

This show's contributors were: Leon Cox, Ryan Hamann and Jay Taylor

Track listing for this show is as follows:

Sound of Play intro mash-up by Ryan Hamann.

Track 1: Main Theme by Calum Bowen (Super Ubie Land, 2013)
Track 2: Menu Theme by Wojciech Golczewski (Linger in Shadows, 2008)
Track 3: Welcome to Rapture by Garry Schyman (BioShock, 2007)
Track 4: Little Inferno Titles by Kyle Gabler (Little Inferno, 2012)
Track 5: Father and Son by Harry Gregson-Williams (Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots, 2008)
Track 6: Captain Toad Goes Forth by Mahito Yokota (Super Mario 3D World, 2013)
Track 7: Datacore Demolition by David Clynick (Perfect Dark Zero, 2005)
Track 8: Sweet Soul Brother by Hideki Nagamura (Jet Set Radio, 2000)
Track 9: The Final Fight by Chris Hülsbeck (Turrican II: The Final Fight, 1991)

Sound of Play: 1 was edited by Jay Taylor

You can subscribe using iTUNES or you can just simply DOWNLOAD IT HERE instead.
RoboticMonk3y

Re: Sound of Play: 1

Post by RoboticMonk3y »

Neat!

Very good work guys!
I like how i-Tunes updates to show the name of the tune playing at the time.
JaySevenZero
Admin

Post by JaySevenZero »

RoboticMonk3y wrote:I like how i-Tunes updates to show the name of the tune playing at the time.
Thanks Robotic :D

We went back to using m4a format for this one since we felt that having chapter select for each of the individual tracks could be useful for easy repetition if someone likes a particular piece of music.
Beck

Post by Beck »

Nice one guys, will there be an RSS feed for this?
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

While I adore a lot of Amiga music, the hardware had this annoying limitation where sounds were either fully to the left or fully to the right in the stereo panning. It makes listening to Amiga music on headphones sound really weird. Mod/Med/TFMX plugins for Winamp give you the option to make the stereo pan less severe which helps.

Chris Huelsbeck himself has done several remasters of his work over the years, and his one of Turrican 2's theme is one of my most played mp3's. It's basically identical to the original, only the stereo mix is much better and it uses higher bit rate versions of the samples. You can find it on the album 'Paula Agnes Denise' on iTunes along with the Hired Guns remix I posted in the music thread last week.
JaySevenZero
Admin

Post by JaySevenZero »

Beck wrote:Nice one guys, will there be an RSS feed for this?
There should be one attached to the main post on the blog, click on the main menu tab for Sound of Play series 1. I can see the feed via Safari when I look for it.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Flabyo wrote:While I adore a lot of Amiga music, the hardware had this annoying limitation where sounds were either fully to the left or fully to the right in the stereo panning. It makes listening to Amiga music on headphones sound really weird. Mod/Med/TFMX plugins for Winamp give you the option to make the stereo pan less severe which helps.

Chris Huelsbeck himself has done several remasters of his work over the years, and his one of Turrican 2's theme is one of my most played mp3's. It's basically identical to the original, only the stereo mix is much better and it uses higher bit rate versions of the samples. You can find it on the album 'Paula Agnes Denise' on iTunes along with the Hired Guns remix I posted in the music thread last week.
I deliberately went with the original mix, Amiga stereo quirk and all, because that's the version I fell in love with. As you say, Amiga music can sound a bit weird in headphones as it's fully separated (as with early stereo pop singles), but on this occasion I opted to go with authenticity.
Todinho

Post by Todinho »

Great show guys and I think the only videogame music podcast I know of, I wonder if James will ever make an appearance ;)
mikeleddy83

Post by mikeleddy83 »

Great show, I'll be back for more.
JaySevenZero
Admin

Post by JaySevenZero »

Thanks for the feedback so far. Feel free to leave us an iTunes review in the hope that we'll get in the new and noteworthy section and potentially increase our listenership to those out there who haven't checked out our stuff yet. :D
Benjo321

Post by Benjo321 »

JaySevenZero wrote:
Beck wrote:Nice one guys, will there be an RSS feed for this?
There should be one attached to the main post on the blog, click on the main menu tab for Sound of Play series 1. I can see the feed via Safari when I look for it.
Wasn't showing the RSS feed on my phone's Chrome browser, but managed to get it in the end

This should work for anyone struggling to get the RSS feed:
http://caneandrinse.com/feed/sound-of-play/

Look forward to giving it a listen :-)