Sound of Play: 2

JaySevenZero
Admin

Sound of Play: 2

Post by JaySevenZero »

Welcome back to our new podcast about our favourite videogame music – Sound of Play..

For many of us, it’s hard to think of almost any videogame without our minds conjuring up the music that accompanied it.

Over the decades they’ve evolved from simplistic monaural beeps and bloops to full orchestral scores recorded in 7.1 surround, but from their earliest days right up to today, soundtracks have played an integral part of our memories of the games we played, and the times in our lives when we were playing them.

What we aim to bring you with Sound of Play is a diverse sample of our favourites pieces from the many air-punching, spine-tingling, tear-jerking and grin-inducing videogame soundtracks we’ve heard over the years.

Of course it’s not just about what we like, so if you venture over to our forum at caneandrinse.com you can put forward your favourites and we’ll start to include a selection in the playlist for each show.

This show’s contributors were: Leon Cox, Joshua Garrity and Jay Taylor

Track listing for this show is as follows:

Sound of Play intro mash-up by Ryan Hamann.

Track 1: Prologue: To The Ancient Land by Ko Otani (Shadow of the Colossus, 2005)
Track 2: Shorty and the EZ Mouse by Tetsutaro Sakurai (Bust-a-Move 2/Bust-a-Groove 1998/1999)
Track 3: The Shootist by Bill Elms and Woody Jackson (Red Dead Redemption, 2010)
Track 4: Strike the Earth! (Plains of Passage) by Jake Kaufman (Shovel Knight, 2014)
Track 5: Power of Anger by Miki Higashino (Salamander/Salamander 2, 1986/1996)
Track 6: LocoRoco’s Song (yellow LocoRoco version) by Nobuyuki Shimizu, Kemmei Adachi (LocoRoco, 2006)
Track 7: Gwyn, Lord of Cinder by Motoi Sakuraba (Dark Souls, 2011)
Track 8: The Great Mighty Poo by Robin Beanland (Conker: Live & Reloaded, 2005)
Track 9: Dragon Rising by Johna Marrows (Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising, 2009)

Sound of Play: 2 was edited by Jay Taylor

You can subscribe using iTUNES or you can just simply DOWNLOAD IT HERE instead.
mikeleddy83

Re: Sound of Play: 2

Post by mikeleddy83 »

Liking it again, pretty sure I heard track 5 many many years ago. It might've been the game that inspired my mum to pick up Vandal Hearts as it was another random gift by the name of Life Force which I'm pretty sure must've just been the name on the version I got, brilliant game! I remember sitting in a caravan in Wales for my birthday with my NES absolutely engrossed in the thing.
Bakers_12

Post by Bakers_12 »

Track 8 will be interesting, how many funny looks will I get as I laugh out loud on the commute?
Todinho

Post by Todinho »

Haha I was thinking of recomeding strike the Earth from Shovel Knight soon glad to see it made it here already it's such a great track :D
Todinho

Post by Todinho »

Also LocoRoco!
Beck

Post by Beck »

Once again, another excellent podcast :) by the way, ratso, has anyone ever pointed out that you are a wizard when it comes to vocabulary. ;)
TomFum

Post by TomFum »

Really nice idea this chaps. Ive only heard this episode so far and really enjoyed it.

Some good music chosen, i really enjoyed the music from darksouls, im a sucker for pianos, but this was really nice, haunting chords in a waltz style, very nice, right up my ally. Loved the song from operation flashpoint as well, growing up around folk music that really touched me, again menu music really setting the tone. brilliant.

I shall go listen to the first episode now.

Keep it up guys, look forward to this running for a long time :)
JaySevenZero
Admin

Post by JaySevenZero »

Thanks for the feedback folks, from the next episode we'll be adding some of the contributions from the community so it'll be interesting to hear the tunes that resonate with you lot too. :D
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Thanks for the kind words everybody, much appreciated.
:)
Tleprie

Post by Tleprie »

Never heard the Loco Roco music before this, but I am absolutely loving it. It's impossible to be unhappy while listening. I decided to go listen to some of the other versions. I really like the red and black versions, but yellow is definitely my favorite at the moment. My only complaint about the show is I must wait 2 weeks for a new episode :)
JaySevenZero
Admin

Post by JaySevenZero »

Tleprie wrote:Never heard the Loco Roco music before this, but I am absolutely loving it. It's impossible to be unhappy while listening. I decided to go listen to some of the other versions. I really like the red and black versions, but yellow is definitely my favorite at the moment. My only complaint about the show is I must wait 2 weeks for a new episode :)
Thanks Tieprie, I'm a fan of the Green LocoRoco theme myself.
Tleprie

Post by Tleprie »

Does anyone have any recommendations of other silly music similar to the LocoRoco music? Not necessarily video game music, but anything that is just silly and fun?
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

Some of TMBG's stuff is pretty silly...