Sound of Play: 4

JaySevenZero
Admin

Sound of Play: 4

Post by JaySevenZero »

Welcome back to our podcast about our favourite videogame music – Sound of Play.

For many of us, it’s hard to think of almost any videogame without our minds conjuring up the music that accompanied it. Over the decades they’ve evolved from simplistic monaural beeps and bloops to full orchestral scores recorded in 7.1 surround, but from their earliest days right up to today, soundtracks have played an integral part of our memories of the games we played, and the times in our lives when we were playing them. What we aim to bring you with Sound of Play is a diverse sample of our favourites pieces from the many air-punching, spine-tingling, tear-jerking and grin-inducing videogame soundtracks we’ve heard over the years.

This show’s contributors were: Leon Cox, Jay Taylor and Simon Cooke

Community contributors were: Tom Fum and Peatear.

Track listing for this show is as follows:

Sound of Play intro mash-up by Ryan Hamann.

Track 1: Crazy Comets by Rob Hubbard (Crazy Comets, 1985)
Track 2: Side Street by Hiroshi Kawaguchi (Power Drift, 1988)
Track 3: Enslaved: Odyssey to the West XMB music by Nitin Sawhney (Enslaved: Odyssey to the West, 2010)
Track 4: Daddy Mulk by Hisayoshi Ogura/Zuntata (Ninja Warriors, 1987)
Track 5: Bionic Commando Level 1 by Tim Follin – original composition by Harumi Fujita (Bionic Commando, 1988)
Track 6: Sora Mi Areru Ec Sancitu by Saori Kobayashi & Mariko Nanba (Panzer Dragoon Saga, 1998)
Track 7: Desert Slaying by Brian LeBarton (Wet, 2010)
Track 8: Title Screen by Koji Kondo (The Legend of Zelda: Majora’s Mask, 2000)
Track 9: The Master of Magic by Rob Hubbard (Master of Magic, 1985)

Sound of Play: 4 was edited by Jay Taylor

You can subscribe using iTUNES or you can just simply DOWNLOAD IT HERE instead.
Flabyo

Re: Sound of Play: 4

Post by Flabyo »

The Ninja Warriors piece has long been a favourite of mine, although I don't think I ever played the arcade more than once.

I know it from a covertape of game music that was on the front cover of Sinclair User. They were all games that Virgin had the home conversion rights to, although the tape claimed they were arcade tunes they were mostly from the Amiga versions of the games in question.

You can read about it on ExoitcA. (which if you're into game music is a site you should probably have bookmarked...)

Also, I'll totally stick up for WET. It gets a LOT better after the first couple of levels, worth playing through if only for the traffic jumping level that the newest Call of Duty shamelessly rips off :)
Solm

Post by Solm »

Wet wasn't the worst game I played, that award goes to Ride to Hell. Wet's music score was kick ass and probably the main reason why I kept playing the game.
JaySevenZero
Admin

Post by JaySevenZero »

I'll concede that my opinion on Wet is based solely on the demo but despite my feeling towards that I don't have a bad word to say against LeBarton's score - which I really dug.
Ash

Post by Ash »

I've never heard of Zuntata before but that Daddy Mulk track is so good it's got me hunting down their other stuff on YouTube. I even found music by some of their members in the new Smash Bros games. Thanks for shining a spotlight on them!
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Great stuff! :D
DavidHartley

Post by DavidHartley »

As an interesting aside, its worth having a listen to the euphoric remix of the Majora's Mask music by electronica artist Theophany:

http://www.terriblefate.com/

Its a wonderful piece of work encompassing the first three-day cycle of the game from being inside the clock tower, through Clocktown itself, the Astral Observatory, the first Great Fairy and then fully looping back again to the skull kid atop the tower at midnight. Theophany is currently close to finishing disk 2 which will head out to the Deku Swamp (that infuriatingly catchy bouncing track from the Deku Palace will no doubt make an appearance) and beyond. Its a skillful piece of work that really captures the terror and unease that pervades through MM, as well as all the soaring joy and pleasure of a Zelda score.

Watch out for Link's scream at the start of track one though, if your speakers are up too loud you might fright yourself...
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Wonderful, thanks for sharing David!
ianw78

Post by ianw78 »

Recently started listening to the Sound of Play podcasts and was chuffed to bits to hear "Daddy Mulk" from Ninja Warriors. That tune was a blast from the past! Sure I had it on a tape cassette from a games magazine back in the day... such a brilliant tune.
Enjoy the series overall :)
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Love that tune!

Thanks for posting Ian, we always love to get feedback on older shows.