Sound of Play: 32

JaySevenZero
Admin

Sound of Play: 32

Post by JaySevenZero »

Welcome to our first Sound of Play of 2016!

For many of us, it’s hard to think of almost any videogame without our minds conjuring up the music that accompanied it. Over the decades they’ve evolved from simplistic monaural beeps and bloops to full orchestral scores recorded in 7.1 surround, but from their earliest days right up to today, soundtracks have played an integral part of our memories of the games we played, and the times in our lives when we were playing them. What we aim to bring you with Sound of Play is a diverse sample of our favourites pieces from the many air-punching, spine-tingling, tear-jerking and grin-inducing videogame soundtracks we’ve heard over the years.

This show’s presenters were: Leon Cox (@ratsoalbion) and Tom Quillfeldt (@TQuillfeldt)

Track listing for this show is as follows:

Track 1: Memories of an Ancient Ocean by Koichi Sugiyama - Dragon Quest VIII: Journey of the Cursed King, 2004
Track 2: Thus Spoke Brooks by Shoji Meguro - Catherine, 2011
Track 3: Mysteries Abound by Masashi Hamauzu - Final Fantasy XIII, 2009
Track 4: Ending by Brad Buxer / Michael Jackson - Sonic the Hedgehog 3, 1994
Track 5: The Best Is Yet To Come by Rika Muranaka, David Downes, Aoife Ni Fhearraigh - Metal Gear Solid, 1998
Track 6: The Maze of Snakes by Pixel Audio - Lara Croft GO, 2015
Track 7: Hi-Tone Fandango by Peter McConnell - Grim Fandango, 1998
Track 8: Thunder Before Lightning by Austin Wintory - The Banner Saga, 2014
Track 9: Serenity by Shusaku Uchiyama / Misao Senbongi - Resident Evil 4, 2005

Sound of Play: 32 was edited by Jay Taylor.

You can subscribe using iTUNES or you can just simply DOWNLOAD IT HERE instead.
ToQi

Re: Sound of Play: 32

Post by ToQi »

I've been listening to 10+ hours a week of podcasts for the best part of a decade, but it was still completely terrifying appearing on my first.

Thanks Cane, Rinse, Leon, Jay, Mum, Dad, The Queen and everyone I went to school with.
seansthomas

Post by seansthomas »

Well done fellow forum friend, enjoyed your contribution a lot.

Thanks for including my Lara Croft Go suggestion too. Glad you liked it. Also enjoyed the brief Tomb Raider chat that followed, given my love of the original title.

Really loved that opening choice, Sonic 3 and this full version of that MGS track. They were all new to me in these forms.

[The 's' in my user name is sadly not that fascinating a story. Merely use it as seanthomas is generally taken whenever I register my name anywhere, so it stands for a tragically bad middle name. But feel free to pretend it stands for Sidious or Supreme if you prefer...]
Bloody Initiate

Post by Bloody Initiate »

Glad "Serenity" finally made it onto the podcast. I love that track, for all the reasons stated in the show and then some. I used to listen to YouTube videos where people had looped it.

I love that sub-genre too, but I might twist the definition to include things like the Dark Souls menu theme (which I think already showed up on sound of play), which is one of the few hints available in the game to tell you there's more to your bloody struggle than the blood and struggle.
ToQi

Post by ToQi »

Yes! Really pleased that other people get it. My "Resi Save" playlist also includes Dark Souls Menu Theme and Un-Finale from Myst - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-GxaTUuh_8

Sean S Thomas sounds way cooler than vanilla Sean Thomas.